Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post-Game discussion

B

BroncosFan_Corey

QCup Player
Nov 2, 2013
Hunt is out halfback and 5/8th at the moment.

Super impressed with Jake Granville again. Future star.

KnToad

KnToad

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2013
There were plenty of times during that game that we showed our inexperience.
Hannant dropping the ball after Reeds try to give the Bunnies field position - predictable by Hannant unfortunately...Lion hearted he is but safe he is not.
Copley losing the ball after regaining it - McQueen did a good job of stealing it but Copley should have held on to it for all he was worth.
The absolutely shit set leading up to the attempt at the field goal.
The soft defence that let Burgess score his try

That word keeps coming up - Composure.

Even with Parker and Hodges around geez we miss Locky. Even with him in a wheelchair we win most of the games we have lost this season. They just seem to find ways to not do the obvious. The age old basic of finishing a set after you score has been a real problem this season. It seems just when we get our nose in front we do something dumb. And we are always just in front with 5 minutes to go so if the opposition score there is not enough time to turn it around.

As far as the obvious is concerned - yes the reffing was ordinary but my biggest concern is it always seems to be that if we drop the ball it was a loose carry but if the opposition drop the ball it is a strip.... if we lay on the tackled player for a moment to long the whistle gets a workout but when we are being layed on it gets put in the pocket...... is it just me?

However, the ref didn't drop the ball when we needed to get it down the other end and the ref didn't chip the ball to G.I. and then watch him burst through a broken line and run 90 metres... Dumb football.

The best player for the Titans 2 weeks ago was David Mead and what did we do - kick it infield into his lap when all the chasers were headed out to the right..... Dumb Football

At least we didn't get absolutely flogged by what is an awesome football team in the Bunnies.

We are close....

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
we've been so much better without thaiday though.. and without Hoffman at 5/8 we are at least 12 points better

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Who exactly was playing 5/8th tonight? It was listed as Hodges but he seemed to stay out in the centres most of the time. Ben Hunt played another good game and is easily a long term halfback.

Ben Barba was mostly the 2nd ball player.

dtmtrano

dtmtrano

BRL Player
Apr 25, 2014
yea i guess what REALLY pisses us all off is the fact that we lost yet our 4th game in the last 10 mins or so.
Roosters.. was winning then lost in last 2 mins.. pure bad luck
Eels.... far out... really shoudlve won if it wasnt some dumb barba play
Titans... Stupid barba
Rabbits... stupid refs

J

JMG87

BRL Player
Mar 8, 2014
100% agree, and that's the problem. Barba is being asked to create far too much in our attacking half, not only is he not adept at doing that, but that could very well be the reason behind him not having the energy and positioning to lurk around looking for off-loads and other goodies like that we saw in 2012.

We need a ****ing Five-Eighth, I don't give two ****s about what anyone else says in regards to "zomg, but he's only a rookie!", the lack of kicking and passing from the Five-Eighth position is affecting EVERYONE on the team negatively.

Ben Barba is being asked to create too much in attack, not what he's known for doing.

Ben Hunt is being asked to kick virtually every set, making him an easy target for opposition teams, possibly causing the **** decisions that we constantly see from Hunt.

Jack Reed, Alex Glenn & Daniel Vidot aren't getting enough quality ball down the left because we don't have a Five-Eighth, those 3 are some of our best options for hitting gaps and creating half opportunities, and they aren't getting enough ball in space.

I could probably go on and list a way that it's affecting everyone in the team, but I can't be bothered, Hoffman isn't a Five-Eighth, Hodges isn't a Five-Eighth. Find someone who is, or continue to be mediocre for the rest of the season.

Agree with this 100%. Although reed and vidot actually got the ball for the first time in ages with Hodges there's cause he knows how to paas. We need an actual 5/8th to help hunt. How many times have we said this. It's plain obvious. But I am happy the left edge finally got the ball and we did look more more dangerous tonight. We can take alot out of tonight. We could have been slaughtered but we held on

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
new 5/8th, new goal kicker. instant results. basic stuff that can be easily fixed but hook just won't

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
**** **** ****!!!
That was bullshit. we had every chance to win that game and we didnt. Parkers kicking let us down once again, the refs for fucking shithouse as usual, Ben Hunt and his kicking for the beginning of the game was shit (how the **** dont you know by now to NOT kick to Inglis).
The last pass from Hodges to Vidot was unnecessary. Vidot had like 5 guys there waiting for him. He could have taken the tackle as we still had time left and a tackle i believe.
Barba needs to step the **** up, but Hook needs to allow him to play his own game. thats why we bought him.
How did maranta drop that ball? these guys get paid and train to hold onto a ball. fucking hell, if i couldnt hold a pen in the office i would get the sack.

Im pissed off. Souths played like shit.

Hunt didn't take his first kick of the game until the 18th min and by then the Rabbits had at least 2 tries (maybe 3, I can't remember). Yes, his kicking game is suboptimal, but it is improving and I would say it did not play a major role in the loss. It did play a role but not a major one.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Last edited:
Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Yep not having a kicking/passing 5/8 is crippling us, our 5th tackle options are well........woeful.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The stripping rule is the problem, it was a penalty according to the rule. Broncos lost it in failing to setup a simple field goal attempt, they were fairly clueless.

The play the ball was very slow and we just couldn't really match it against a bigger side allowed to lay in the ruck and it helped them to a quick lead. Souths tired pretty quickly once we got a penalty and a shot up their end and we really didn't have too many problems putting on points, with a decent ruck speed next time we have them covered I think.

Hannant was probably our best, came on and got us going forward, made a case for starting.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Far too much hate on Hunt. This is what his 13th straight game at halfback with no consistent 5/8? We all rave about DCE, but he came into first grade with a very settled team and an international 5/8 in Foran. You can't compare the two. Hunt is doing a great job. The last few years after Lockyer's retirement our only play was a kick to the winger from Wallace. I love Hunt's variation. Also, those people blasting McCullough need a slap on the cheek. He kept us in that game with his defence and his decisions in attack.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
no hoffman, no thaiday

Umm, this actually helped us - Hodges threw an absolute pearler to Maranta, if that was Hoffman the play dies with him.

We haven't missed Thaiday one bit either.

Last edited:
Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Ropeable. Absolutely ropeable.

Sage words from IBM

Bitch all we want (and I will) about the refs, but the idiotic kick by Babs that led to the Inglis try and the general ease with which the Bunnies made meters in that first 20mins hurt us badly.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.