Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post-Game discussion

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'm still confused over what happened with the final penalty. It was ruled that hunt stripped the ball from burgess, dubious at best but ok. Quick play the ball from Goodwin ball stripped one on one but another penalty do decide the game. Badger has made an incompetent hash of a great game of football.

2nd penalty was for being inside the 10.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think everyone is being a bit to harsh on Hunt, he is a rookie halfback without a five-eight who can really take many of the playmaking duties. I think the team played well in patches, but the forward pack really let us down at times with little to no impact and putting us in bad field position.

I am not saying Hunt played well, because his kicking and decision making at times were below par, but he is developing with a team that has knew halves, forwards and fullback.

I believe that this team with have a real impact next season, this they are building and learning how to play with each other and play the close games and in general learning how to become a top team (It will also when they have a knew five-eight).

This year I believe they will make the 8, but won't play to their potential until 2015.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
IMO the evidence was conclusive that Hunt wasn't interfered with.

I still don't know how we didn't get a penalty for inside the 10 on that dropout though. Also thought Parker was back enough on that final penalty.

And the head high tackle on Copley which wasn't called but was then called a knock on by Reid which umm wasn't....... just after we forced Souths back into their in goal area.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Simple: take him out of the side and our movements in the attacking 20 are handicapped beyond measure. Hunt is only good for 1 or 2 good plays in the attacking half at the moment. The rest is bung average.

100% agree, and that's the problem. Barba is being asked to create far too much in our attacking half, not only is he not adept at doing that, but that could very well be the reason behind him not having the energy and positioning to lurk around looking for off-loads and other goodies like that we saw in 2012.

We need a fucking Five-Eighth, I don't give two shits about what anyone else says in regards to "zomg, but he's only a rookie!", the lack of kicking and passing from the Five-Eighth position is affecting EVERYONE on the team negatively.

Ben Barba is being asked to create too much in attack, not what he's known for doing.

Ben Hunt is being asked to kick virtually every set, making him an easy target for opposition teams, possibly causing the shit decisions that we constantly see from Hunt.

Jack Reed, Alex Glenn & Daniel Vidot aren't getting enough quality ball down the left because we don't have a Five-Eighth, those 3 are some of our best options for hitting gaps and creating half opportunities, and they aren't getting enough ball in space.

I could probably go on and list a way that it's affecting everyone in the team, but I can't be bothered, Hoffman isn't a Five-Eighth, Hodges isn't a Five-Eighth. Find someone who is, or continue to be mediocre for the rest of the season.

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
?? I think you mean enough evidence to keep the decision as it was, which was no try from the on field ref, who actually got the call right.

Lol yea my thoughts are getting so mixed up due to the emotion of the night lol. No try from onfield ref but try by video ref. Yea I feel there was sufficient evidence to keep with onfield decision and NOT overturn.

Damn emotion!!!

M

Mortician

NYC Player
Jul 23, 2011
Lockyer got away from Parker fairly quickly. lol

I think Parker was going to explode.

I did explode after the field goal fiasco.

My wife is still picking up the pieces.

dtmtrano

dtmtrano

BRL Player
Apr 25, 2014
We just gotta put this game behind. Its round 8 next week and we have a LONG way to go. We're only going to get stronger! Cmon.... no hoffman, no thaiday and to come away with a probable win that didnt happen, we should be proud of our boys. I say definitely bring HALA in... We need someone who can srsly carry us and vidot needs to fix up his defence. Im tired of seeing him coming in and getting beaten by wingers who just soar over the top of him. One more thing, we have to blame ourself for the first try.. How on earth did kiraosau beat 4-5 players.....

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
That said, definitely feel the refereeing was against us.

the refereeing was against whichever team was leading at the time ... always is nowadays ... its all about engineering grandstand finishes for the men in pink, especially in prime time

kat00

kat00

NYC Player
Apr 25, 2014
With decent halves the Broncs would win the comp it's as simple as that. The team is awesome and how they stay in the game(s) for as long as they do is amazing and says heaps about the charter of the players. Why Griffin perseveres with Hunt is beyond me, his kicking game is embarrassing, defense is terrible. Compare him to Cherry-Evans, Cronk, even Renyolds and there is a massive difference in class.
Couple Hunt with a part time 5/8 and it's a recipe for disaster and that is exactly what we got tonight and every other loss this year........a total inability to close the game out.........because the 1/2's don't know how to do it. No use blaming the ref's despite their mistakes, we made more mistakes then the ref's.
We had our chance to get a decent 1/2 when Carney was on the market.........but he was to "risky" 6 months latter we made a play for Dugan...WTF? Where's Bruno when we need him.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
I think hodges needs to stop with the DIY efforts. To help him stop, we need more set plays that he's involved with, requiring him to be in position, not trying to run from dummy half all day. Do you think he'd be doing that as much if Lockyer was still playing?

We need Ben Hunt to be directing the play, or Macca, but not both, and absolutely not Hodges or Barba. One of Hunt or Macca needs to be captain (or co-captain). Hodges should not have been made captain.

Realistically, our most senior players are not in our spine, we're going to look disorganised some of the time until they mature.

Also, I thought Hunt got caught out, fair try. The first strip was a fair penalty, but Parker was well onside, absolutely furious.

P.S. **** you badger and **** your stupid haircut.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
And the head high tackle on Copley which wasn't called but was then called a knock on by Reid which umm wasn't....... just after we forced Souths back into their in goal area.

Think you'll find Vidot knocked on after Reed's touch anyway - but I agree about the shot on Copley, thought that was more than worthy of a penalty.

dtmtrano

dtmtrano

BRL Player
Apr 25, 2014
haha yea.. stupid gavin badger thinking hes some sick kunt with that freaking slit and combover. Couple of options for no. 6:

- Kodi Nikorima
- Jayden Nikorima
- Zach Strasser
- Jordan Kahu
- Arana Taumata (dubbed next big thing but disciplinary issues.... now playing nsw cup)
- maybe tim smith who was with us in the 2009/2010 preseason
- maybe benji marshall...

No homophobic slurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy Sam

Crazy Sam

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Got to say I am rapidly losing interest in following Broncos games while we do not have someone who can kick the simpler goalkicks.

I can cop Hunt being a work in progress and everything else, but I'm totally over watching Parker botch goal kicks that should be made.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
those hitups leading up to our attempted drop goal were piss poor. should have easily gained another 15 meters or so. Parker cannot clutch goal kick. hunts kicking game when game is on the line sucks

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Who exactly was playing 5/8th tonight? It was listed as Hodges but he seemed to stay out in the centres most of the time. Ben Hunt played another good game and is easily a long term halfback.

dtmtrano

dtmtrano

BRL Player
Apr 25, 2014
YEAP. We need a legit half who can kick. Hunts game is just too easy to predict.... Either put barba at 5/8 or try out a NYC player or Zach Strasser!

dtmtrano

dtmtrano

BRL Player
Apr 25, 2014
thats a good point burgundy... Im pree sure it was a shared role. But honestly if we had hala lining up burgess.. different story..

GotheBroncs

GotheBroncs

BRL Player
Dec 6, 2013
**** **** ****!!!
That was bullshit. we had every chance to win that game and we didnt. Parkers kicking let us down once again, the refs for fucking shithouse as usual, Ben Hunt and his kicking for the beginning of the game was shit (how the **** dont you know by now to NOT kick to Inglis).
The last pass from Hodges to Vidot was unnecessary. Vidot had like 5 guys there waiting for him. He could have taken the tackle as we still had time left and a tackle i believe.
Barba needs to step the **** up, but Hook needs to allow him to play his own game. thats why we bought him.
How did maranta drop that ball? these guys get paid and train to hold onto a ball. fucking hell, if i couldnt hold a pen in the office i would get the sack.

Im pissed off. Souths played like shit.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • broncos4life
  • peter09
  • I bleed Maroon
  • KickHaas
  • Xzei
  • Swordfish
  • Totally Unr3al
  • lynx000
  • Shane Tronc
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • broncs30
  • Justwin
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Lostboy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.