Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post-Game discussion

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
It was ruled a no try and i didn't see enough evidence to over turn that call. But that's just my opinion.

My opinion was that Hunt only had eyes for the ball carrier and the decoy runner initiated contact with Hunt and took him out. The ball carrier then went through the hole that opened up where Hunt was. Had Hunt not been impeded, he would have covered his outside and closed any potential hole. Enough evidence to overturn IMO. It seems clear cut to me - decoy runner intiiates contact and takes out player and ball runner goes through resultant hole.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
Somebody just told me that hunt said he tried to strip the ball. I didn't see him say that. Did anyone else see or hear that?

88to2006Glorydays

88to2006Glorydays

NYC Player
Jul 9, 2013
I'm open to discussion on the Ben Barba to QCup comment, but I'm sold, I've watched him every time he's been on the screen for the last month, he's running the ball back at quarter speed, and he only runs the ball back 1/3 times, every other time he passes to one of the wingers for the hit-up, then he spends 2-3 tackles with hands on hips, catching his breath behind the play.

When it comes to him touching the ball in attack, it's usually flat footed, and followed up with a pass well before the line to a player who's not even running on to the ball, all of his kicks over the last month have been virtually shit as well.

The only aspect of his game at the moment that I'm enjoying is his try saving tackles, the rest of his game is well below average compared to everyone else.

- Shit coach
- Shit halves
- Still not recovered from ankle surgery
- No confidence

You can pick any of the 4 reasons above, or maybe all of them, for his lack of form.

Benefits to playing Queensland Cup for a few weeks: Get away from our shit halves and shit coach, score some tries, get some confidence in his ankle and in himself.

I'd love to here some analysis from people who think he's playing well enough to retain his spot in the team, just for a different perspective.

I agree with most of this but even after a stint in Q Cup, he would still come back to shit halves, shit coach and a shit game plan.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Hunt is not really an organiser, his strength is his blindside play and his running game. He really needs a genuine half to partner him. Hodges can throw a nice pass, but he's no half. It's not going to improve much with Milford, he's a ball runner too (though a very good one) .

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I was actually fine with the obstruction try. Hunt makes contact with the decoy because moves inside of him. If Hunt read the play and were inclined to run towards the ball recipient, he had a clear path to and would not have been interfered with one iota by the decoy runner, because he was on his inside.

That said, definitely feel the refereeing was against us.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
How do you **** up a 1 on 1 strip call? Just ****ing how??

If you're referring to the Parker strip, that penalty was for inside the ten. Parker was blowing up about it too - would have loved to see a reply to check - thanks for that, Nine.

Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
That refereeing performance tonight for our game was absolutely deplorable. The Bronx should of never been in that position. Souths scored off a blatant obstruction and that supposed "strip" penalty there at the end with 3 minutes or so left on the clock?
Disgraceful. The NRL should be ashamed of themselves for handing these idiots the refereeing job. Stevie Wonder could do a better job!

The 14-0 head start wasn't ideal but I'm proud of the boys for fighting back. We won in everything but the scoreboard tonight, pretty heart breaking when the refs take it away from you.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
We just lack the composure needed. It will come with time for Hunt but Macca has been our starting hooker long enough to be better

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
We had chances to close that game out and didn't take them.

The refs didn't help us though.... Just sayin.

All that needs to be said.

Missed crucial conversions and the setup to the field goal was abysmal.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
We have a lot, an awful lot to learn about composure when we are under the pump by a class team. The field goal fiasco, the dropped balls, the penalties. There was precious little leadership on the field. Too many mistakes, and the 1st half kicking game handed them the game. They were points Souths should never had had.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
For the record I completely agreed with the obstruction no try and the Hunt strip penalty, but I can see why fans are mad, they could've both easily gone the other way.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I was actually fine with the obstruction try. Hunt makes contact with the decoy because moves inside of him. If Hunt read the play and were inclined to run towards the ball recipient, he had a clear path to and would not have been interfered with one iota by the decoy runner, because he was on his inside.

But in other games the video ref would have gone with the on field ref of no try.

Hunt should have taken a dive & it would have been no try. (And I hate players diving)

L

loc

Apr 25, 2014
Enough evidence to overturn IMO. It seems clear cut to me - decoy runner intiiates contact and takes out player and ball runner goes through resultant hole.

?? I think you mean enough evidence to keep the decision as it was, which was no try from the on field ref, who actually got the call right.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
But in other games the video ref would have gone with the on field ref of no try.

Hunt should have taken a dive & it would have been no try. (And I hate players diving)

IMO the evidence was conclusive that Hunt wasn't interfered with.

I still don't know how we didn't get a penalty for inside the 10 on that dropout though. Also thought Parker was back enough on that final penalty.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
Lockyer got away from Parker fairly quickly. lol

I think Parker was going to explode.

Is there anyway? Someone can upload that? I turned my tv off as soon as the whistle blew.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I'm still confused over what happened with the final penalty. It was ruled that hunt stripped the ball from burgess, dubious at best but ok. Quick play the ball from Goodwin ball stripped one on one but another penalty do decide the game. Badger has made an incompetent hash of a great game of football.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.