Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post Match Discussion

It's a tough balance between being trigger happy, which puts too much pressure on the players' heads, and getting them too comfortable by giving them the chance to consolidate a spot for too long.
There is also the not so small matter of having someone available who is a chance of doing a better job than the incumbent.

Personally, I don't believe the team has been going nearly as bad as reading BHQ would indicate, and Maranta is the only player that justifies demotion this season, but I don't think there is someone capable of replacing him at an advantage.

Maybe not so much about dropping the incumbent, but getting the incumbent to do what he is getting paid good money to do.

For example, where were the constant short kicks behind Souths defensive line with a stampede of chasers? It's THE way to break open such a good one-on-one defence as Souths have;

Why wasn't say e.g. Gillett and Hannant standing deep on either side of Prince/Wallace/Macca/Hunt, both running ready for the short pass close to the line?

We just play too much ad hoc stuff and hope Hodges, or someone else gets lucky, or pray Norman/Reed get their timing right on the left hand side.

It should be like clock work. It isn't.

What an average game. I felt horrible after watching that game. The Bunnies did not play that well, made quite a few mistakes, but still beat us. This was not the same team a few games back. Hodges missing was certainly a contributing factor, but I think the biggest was the small amount of meters our forwards made. Only Parker broke the 100m mark, from someone like Hannant and Thaiday you expect more. This was our real issue. Hala played close to 25mins, which is more than any other game. I say the coach is doing a fantastic job at introducing him back to first grade after his injury etc. What can you say about our hooker role, Hunt and Macca are so inconsistent it's crazy, this is another big contributor to our problems. I still don't think Kahu is ready for first grade, but with so little options we don't have much choice. Something must be seriously wrong with Kemp for him not to get a spot over Maranta. For Sam to come out and say we didn't play with enough aggression and we need to get more mongrel, he should've just replaced we for me. He was our worst forward by far. I just absolutely hate seeing him walk back in defense. Why is he putting in such a bad performance after doing so well the few previous games? Maybe it's fitness and maybe a touch of not using the bench more/correctly or poor attitude. The obstruction rule needs to go back to being B&W I reckon. Did anyone catch the stat for missed tackles? 42 for us. Not moving up in defense and so many missed tackles will make it a hard game to win for anyone.

I think it all really comes back to our attitude, we used to have the same attitude as the QLD side, never give up and always put in 100% even if your legs feel like they are going to fall off. That has changed as soon as Locky left and Thaiday became captain. What is it with people critisizing Parker, frig me, he was one of our best, get off it.

At the end of the day it was just an average game, not our worst by far, but if we keep sliding then we will have something to complain/worry about. Move on to next week, get the attitude right and we should be good.

Last edited:
For example, where were the constant short kicks behind Souths defensive line with a stampede of chasers? It's THE way to break open such a good one-on-one defence as Souths have;

A couple kicks got put in........'cept nobody was chasing.

all i remember is a couple of terrible kicks from prince.

He had a couple into the in goal but were allowed to go dead as no one was chasing

A couple kicks got put in........'cept nobody was chasing.

Lack of support players was an issue all night. Couple of times McCullough and Wallace took it to the line and turn to pass with absolutely no one in sight or a prop standing flat footed in the middle of nowhere. I actually thought we started making some space in attack but then there was absolutely no one there to capitalize on it. Players either well over-running plays or just not looking to want to get involved, happy to stand back and let someone else take the hit up. We could have won that game. The bunnies tries weren't that great and we created plenty of half chances that any well drilled team would have completed. We did get monstered in the forwards though, barring Hala

He had a couple into the in goal but were allowed to go dead as no one was chasing

I remember one, if not two well placed cross field short kicks that could have produced points...... if the chasers were there.

Could be the chasers not knowing about the kickers intention.......or just the lack of commitment from the chasers themselves. Either way Prince had the right idea even if the execution was obviously off.

Where to start i went along to training last week and got there early friday to watch 20s and broncs warm up.
NEGATIVES 1. Fitness 2 weeks in a row after 1/2 time we come out of the break and look tired 1st set after the break no energy or desire in defence all players looked flat. Attitude or Fitness or coachs speech ? I think fitness. 2. Structure as per training 2nd man 2nd man same shite with no variation. 4th tackle options forward hit up because on 5th tackle were going to put a kick up. I know we need structure but please can just for once can we play whats in front of us. 3. can we please use Gillett as wide runner give him the f..... ball early with space he is wasted if we persist to use him as a decoy as per training and game day. 4. Support play is attrocious easy to defend against us cause we are so negative in attack. Run in pairs. where is 1,6,7 and 9 when we make 1/2 breaks its not that hard. Its a team sport SUPPORT THE RUNNERS. God i would be a good coach LOLOL. 5. Prince after 8 weeks i think its time to give Hunt a run at seven. We aren't going to go forward if he is 7 for 2013/2014. 6. Stupid dumb ass penalties have to stop 7. Bench rotation WTF WTF WTF WTF ??????????????????????
POSITIVES. Hala/J Wallace/Kahu more game time please. We are not that far off the top 4 but origin is going to hurt.

Where to start i went along to training last week and got there early friday to watch 20s and broncs warm up.
NEGATIVES 1. Fitness 2 weeks in a row after 1/2 time we come out of the break and look tired 1st set after the break no energy or desire in defence all players looked flat. Attitude or Fitness or coachs speech ? I think fitness. 2. Structure as per training 2nd man 2nd man same ****e with no variation. 4th tackle options forward hit up because on 5th tackle were going to put a kick up. I know we need structure but please can just for once can we play whats in front of us. 3. can we please use Gillett as wide runner give him the f..... ball early with space he is wasted if we persist to use him as a decoy as per training and game day. 4. Support play is attrocious easy to defend against us cause we are so negative in attack. Run in pairs. where is 1,6,7 and 9 when we make 1/2 breaks its not that hard. Its a team sport SUPPORT THE RUNNERS. God i would be a good coach LOLOL. 5. Prince after 8 weeks i think its time to give Hunt a run at seven. We aren't going to go forward if he is 7 for 2013/2014. 6. Stupid dumb ass penalties have to stop 7. Bench rotation WTF WTF WTF WTF ??????????????????????
POSITIVES. Hala/J Wallace/Kahu more game time please. We are not that far off the top 4 but origin is going to hurt.

Absolutely

You'd think this is a proposition from quantum mechanics

Could be the chasers not knowing about the kickers intention.......or just the lack of commitment from the chasers themselves. Either way Prince had the right idea even if the execution was obviously off.

i think its communication. its happened a fair bit this season where players dont seem to know what prince is doing. team needs to work together to better this.

on some other points re support play, etc. we seem to go from "on" to "off" and vice versa alot. we've played pretty well for a few games this year but it then goes so quickly out the window again. to me this is coaching. these basics aren't drilled into their natural behaviour on the field enough. when they really want to win and pull together as a team it happens but soon as the mind isnt focus there is no auto pilot mode that gets us through the bland times. thats where teams like melbourne and souths succeed.. even when they're not "on" their training kicks in and they can still make things happen.

Last edited:
That's what I think to noisetheory. I reckon they've only started working on the stuff that is helping us win this year. It's probably not a natural thing for them, so they need to get it drilled into them. Once they get tired or are in front they revert back to the old style. Eventually though it should become normal for them and they don't need to think about standing deeper or supporting the runner etc.

So apparently Gillett polled 1 Dally M vote for this game...

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.