Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post Match Discussion

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
I'd be surprised if Hala wasn't completely shagged and that is why he didn't get much game time after his big stint. He hasn't played a lot of footy and is a big unit.

This. He is still a gallop or two short. The games he has played for Redcliffe this year he's played a similar number of minutes.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If we had Hodges out there, we would have won IMO. We really missed him. Still, Hala and Kahu were impressive, so I guess that's something.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Positives:
Hala impact in the first half
Kahu solid opening and improved as the game went on
Gillett was strong other than the poor tackle attempt for Souths first try, looked dangerous with the ball
Parker didn't stop trying
Good scramble defence to not let the score blow out

Negatives:
Soft try's let in close to the line
Seem to lack pace out wide either taking advantage of a break or chasing down the oppositions.
Maranta not giving a reason to want him in the side
Macca/Hunt combo still shits me
We are a step below the top 4 teams

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'd be surprised if Hala wasn't completely shagged and that is why he didn't get much game time after his big stint. He hasn't played a lot of footy and is a big unit.
So is G Burgess. Hala didn't look shagged to me, well not anymore than anyone else on the field, he was full of energy and from when he came off to the 70th minute was a 30 minute break, anyone would be fully rested by 20 minutes, let alone 30.

I wouldn't be pissed if he was getting 30 minutes a game, but 10-15 minutes for a player of his talent is simply unacceptable.

Last edited:
Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Not a bad game. Maranta needs to just go away. Give Kahu some more game time, he went alright tonight. Nothing fancy, but dug deep.

Came out of the sheds and forgot how to play for a bit, and it killed us. Souths are a tough team. They won't go all the way against the Storm and Manly with their dropped ball tonight.

Got to mention Hala. What a fucking machine.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
So is G Burgess. Hala didn't look shagged to me, well not anymore than anyone else on the field, he was full of energy and from when he came off to the 70th minute was a 30 minute break, anyone would be fully rested by 20 minutes, let alone 30.

Hala has played **** all minutes this year. Burgess has played 50-60 minutes consistently. His fitness base is much bigger. Hala getting more minutes doesn't win us the game anyway. A decent halfback wins us the game.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Kahu was very impressive, liked his work in setting up Maranta for that line break. Looks to have a bit of Jamie Lyon to him (and I mean that as a compliment).

Maranta continues to look a class below first grade standard.

Norman... ugh. He has so much potential to be a star. Perhaps his potential to be a gun is usurped only by his potential to super suck. Some of his options in attack tonight were just really bad.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
If we had Hodges out there, we would have won IMO. We really missed him. Still, Hala and Kahu were impressive, so I guess that's something.

We certainly missed him, but I can't see him winning the game for us. The play makers weren't awesome today.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Hala has played **** all minutes this year. Burgess has played 50-60 minutes consistently. His fitness base is much bigger. Hala getting more minutes doesn't win us the game anyway. A decent halfback wins us the game.
Well ****, who's decision is it to give Burgess 50-60 minutes?

Hala is getting 10-15 minutes a game, that's fucking shit!

Let me back up a few weeks.
Vs the Tigers 11 minutes.
Vs Cowboys, 13 minutes.
Vs GC, 12 minutes.

Is his fitness not improving at all that he can't play another 5 minutes? George Rose was playing more minutes last year!

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Hook has to have the balls to say to Maranta/Norman/Macca POQ-DCM

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Well ****, who's decision is it to give Burgess 50-60 minutes?

Hala is getting 10-15 minutes a game, that's ****ing ****!

Let me back up a few weeks.
Vs the Tigers 11 minutes.
Vs Cowboys, 13 minutes.
Vs GC, 12 minutes.

Is his fitness not improving at all that he can't play another 5 minutes? George Rose was playing more minutes last year!

Yeah you are still missing the point. Hala is coming off a knee injury plus he had an interrupted pre-season. Just leaving him on for 60 minutes won't make him fitter. He needs to gradually up his minutes.

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013
Kahu was good. Hala was good. Hunt was good. Parker was good. Gillett got better.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
We simply lack the class out wide to trouble the top sides, and Souths is a top side. Without Hodges we had no chance.

All that said, like the Manly game, it was a 10 minute spurt after half time that killed us. We've got to start our second halves better.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
We need some speed FFS, Maranta had his chance tonight to show the speed he claimed, there's nothing there son, the cupboard is bare. Agree Kahu needs to be given a chance, he has made more unassisted mtrs in 2 games than Maranta has in all of his and looks likely to create something a must include.

Norman goes ok but refuses to put his body on the line, being young is no excuse for softness.

Glenn was our go to man last year but looks a touch out of sorts and tries a bit too hard himself.

Overall I thought we played ok, we had a go but lacked polish with the ball which made it a really frustrating game to watch as our guys squandered some good chances.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah you are still missing the point. Hala is coming off a knee injury plus he had an interrupted pre-season. Just leaving him on for 60 minutes won't make him fitter. He needs to gradually up his minutes.

Yeah, but they're not... they're just giving him the same time each week. I'm assuming he'll play more minutes around Origin though.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hodges adds structure aside from anything else. Our right side looked lost for too long. I reckon we would have been within 2 if Hodges played

And again, standing too FLAT

And again, Norman has no real ball playing instincts

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Well then gradually up his minutes! I can't see that happening.

In order from his first game this year.

12 minutes
13 minutes
11 minutes
roughly 13 minutes again.

I'm sure he's fit enough to do 10 in the first half and 10 minutes in the second half. I don't know if he started in QCUP From round 1 but he's had about 5-7 games in a row now, he's not fresh off a knee injury.

Unread

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Lostboy
  • Organix
  • Astro
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.