Round 8 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs - Post Match Discussion

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Without genuine strike players, the basic brand of football we are playing, while maybe enough to compete with the top sides in the competition, is never going to be enough to beat them when they find another gear we just don't have. The side needs spark to inspire them and frankly so do the fans.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Lack of support really ****s me. Twice Ben Hunt made scurries from dummyhalf and had an opportunity to offload but nobody was with him. Parker too, as Ari pointed out.

This. And as you also said, always expect the ball.

Our support play has sucked for years, like standing flat, which we are again starting to do.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos definitely got the wrong end of the pineapple from the officials tonight, but not significantly enough to impact the result IMO. My pet hate in rugby league is the "hand on the ball" penalty. It is so selectively applied and usually gives a massive momentum boost.

I thought the Corey Norman boot penalty was rubbish and the obstruction call against Gillett/Kahu at the end, well, if the refs had said "try" initially I think it would've stood. Such a lottery the obstruction rule.

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013
Support play is all about energy. Thats why Norman will never be more than an average fullback. He plays with no energy/heart

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
You delude yourself if you just look at all the ref. calls that didn't go our way.

Yeah, Souths received the rub of the green, but we'll get it too eventually. 7-2 penalty count at one stage, the Clark try came off a sus pass, the GI try came off a soft penalty and the Sutton try came off a 50/50 but you just have to cop it.

I'm still lost on the leading with the boot ruling.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
At least the no try had no bearing on the game. The only penalty I had an issue with was the Glenn shoulder charge.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Support play is all about energy. Thats why Norman will never be more than an average fullback. He plays with no energy/heart
I'm inclined to agree, he reminds me too much of Hayne, just doesn't display any energy. A guy like Hodges who's over 30 always seems to play likes he's full of energy.

It just looks like Norman is always at 80%.

I seriously wouldn't mind Norman being dropped for Kahu at fullback and Maranta being dropped for Kemp. It will never happen though because Griffin never drops anyone.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I thought we were lucky not to have Prince binned for that Inglis pull back. For me that was a very professional foul in a clear try-scoring situation. If that were us I'd be fuming if the player wasn't binned.

That Norman boot penalty confounded me too, he didn't really kick at it, he just put his foot where the ball was going.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Griffin is way too conservative as a coach, he doesn't think outside the box or take risks, that's fine but you need to strike a balance. Look at McGuire, he dropped Asotasi without a second thought, ditto Crocker. Griffin won't drop anyone, heck I don't remember Griffin every at any point since he's taken over the Broncos drop a player for being out of form, not once, correct me if I'm wrong BHQ'ers.

Griffin = Henjak.

Both have/had 'threatened' to drop players, but never does/did. (hence why players are leaving, as they want a chance at 1st grade)

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What I don't understand about the 'leading with the foot' penalty is...

The Robbie Farah effort was supposedly fine, because GI placed it on his boot, but Norman's wasn't?

Isn't it just illegal full stop?

Grey areas...

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Honestly when I saw Prince touch Inglis before they showed the replays, I thought he was trying to get around him, so that he could link up and catch the souths player who made the break.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
You delude yourself if you just look at all the ref. calls that didn't go our way.

Yeah, Souths received the rub of the green, but we'll get it too eventually. 7-2 penalty count at one stage, the Clark try came off a sus pass, the GI try came off a soft penalty and the Sutton try came off a 50/50 but you just have to cop it.

I'm still lost on the leading with the boot ruling.

They ruled he kicked at the ball, at the time I thought they would give a penalty but it was soft as. As for Gilletts no try the only reason Luke got close was because of the obstruction, just a bad call.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Our defence this game was horrible. Except for the 10minutes before halftime. Only their errors kept us in it. Tonight a fair few times there was a lack in communication in attack but the majority of the time our problem in attack was the fact that without Hodges or giving Hoffman space we don't have a single player that can threaten the line. Gillett does occasionally. Norman always gets tripped (don't know why or how) neither of our halves can run the ball. None of our forwards can break a line and if they stick their head through there is no support. The only time thaiday was doing well tonight was in his first stint. He was knocking their players over like bowling pins. Griffin immediately took him off. Then griffin decided to put him on a third/fourth time when he was gassed instead of our form prop in hala. Hannant had a horrible game never once made decent meters or bent the line. Apart from the initial minutes neither did thaiday. Sanderson never does. That was one of our biggest issues tonight we didn't get a role on. This put our backs in disarray. Our backs aren't good enough(short of Hodges) to do anything without our forwards dominating. Everyone talks about how good the rabbits forwards pack is but really all they have is the two burgess brothers. Teomhasn't done much since being there and McQueen only rarely does well. We should have been able to beat them. The only reason that isn't an issue is that the burgess bros break lines and consistently poke their heads through. Their support play is good and they have two awesome forwards in gi and Sutton. Did any one else notice how ridiculous it was that on every single kick return it took us until tackle three to get a forward into it. Also I think Hoffman only touched the ball once in the kick return including those three tackles in the kick return. Part of the reason for this may be because apart from Hoffman none of our back return with any speed while the forwards walk back as well. It's ridiculous.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
We were beaten by a better team tonight. There were a couple of standouts. Parker for mine was absoultely great.

Im prepared to say if Souths dont have Inglis we win that game. I know its all hypothetical but thats all we are missing. Somebody who can break the game apart and score from nowhere. At the moment we have a bunch of players who try hard but just dont have the skill to break the game apart.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Hannant did 15 runs and 40 tackles hayseed, it's a bit harsh to say he was MIA.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Kahu is someone who can offer that game breaking ability by the looks of it but the only time he'll get a go in first grade is when Hodges is out, which is lame because he only comes in when we don't have our best player. Would love to see Hodges and Kahu side by side. Maaaannnnnnn I want Yow Yeh back :crying:

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013
Andrew McCullough would be a decent hooker if he would stop kicking the ball, passing the ball and going himself

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
So much shit in that game.

Best half of our season so far, IMO. To come against the form team of the comp, be down 0-8 and rally to 12-8 was very impressive. God. Hala had his best game since injury. What a performance. Gillett played himself into Origin jersey IMO with a couple more of those performances.

That 10 minutes. Souths love to pile them on quick, the Broncs love to let teams run riot. Glad they rallied and held back the flood gates.

I don't often bag the refs but they are so weak in their decision making.

The Reynolds penalty.. That's not a penalty. The advantage should have been played once Reed was tackled in the air.

The Norman boot. At normal speed, looked like a brilliant try saving tackle. Play on.

The Gillett no try. Kahu can't disappear. The intent of the obstruction rule is to prevent players intentional using a team mate to obstuct the defence. He didn't even see Kahu. Isaac Luke must deal with what is in front of him after the ball comes down.

The first Thaiday charge down. He goes for the tackle, not the ball.

The number of forward passes.

Inglis/Prince - penalty - but why march Souths 20 metres past the incident?

Maranta... that last break. 3-5 metres head start on John Sutton. Go for the corner son. Kemp would have got there (I said it!!).

Unread

Active Now

• maximus84
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Porthoz
  • Brocko
  • rnabokov
  • Scdeac
  • Viti
  • Turks85
  • RolledOates
  • Shane Tronc
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Volvo Driver
  • kiwibronco
  • Harry Sack
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.