Round 8 - Broncos vs. Souths - Pre-Match Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you guys actually watch Gagai's games in the NRL for the Broncos? Every run, he'd make maybe 5 metres and then be dragged back 10. When you talk about getting a roll-on, Gagai was awesome - for the opposition. It's no wonder the coaches were on his case constantly to bulk up, he was getting rag dolled too much. Of course, now he's gone to the Knights, he's finally taken the advice on board, put on some size, and is playing more to his potential. But for those who are saying 'Gagai was always going to be something special', hindsight doesn't count.
No hindsight mate. I've said it well before he went to Newcastle and wanted him ahead of Beale and Copley in the team!

Check the this thread for example: http://broncoshq.com/showthread.php/19490-Beale-VS-Gagai (Note the date)

This was not hindsight, he was always a class above in U20s. How is it hindsight when I would say he is no where near where he will end up unless of course attitude intervenes.
the kid was just 20 at the Broncos and some do not bulk up as quickly as others, who are you to say he was not trying to.
BTW do you go and watch the U20s matches to form an opinion of our juniors? This is a simple question not trying to start an argument. :-)

Yeah I do. Which is why it's frustrating seeing Norman look like a visionless fool and Hala barely lasting 10 minutes. Norman destroyed in the 20s, and Hala regularly dished out 60 - 70 minutes of punishment. Oh and remember that kid named Ben Hunt? The Broncos figured out a year or so ago that the Under 20's has minimal bearing on how players will perform in the top grade. The only players so far that looked the goods out of the blocks were the few games that Hoffman deputised for Hunt (in 2008?) and McGuire from his first season. This is the reason that a lot of the U20s players have been doing time in the Q Cup instead. Players like Whitchurch. It doesn't necessarily mean that if they carve in the Q Cup they're a sure thing for the NRL, but the transition to NRL is a lot smoother after playing against grown men.

Wasn't Ben Hunt really good in the 20's while Norman was patchy at best?

I stopped reading after "Norman destroyed in the 20s''

Granted, the gaps were much bigger and the defensive reads against him atrocious, but he looked much more promising in the 20s.

Surprisingly not nervous at all for this game.

Wasn't Ben Hunt really good in the 20's while Norman was patchy at best?

Pretty much.

Hunt wasn't amazing either but looked like a good prospect and knew how to organise the troops. The only time Norman looked consistently good was playing outside of Hunt.

Pretty much.

Hunt wasn't amazing either but looked like a good prospect and knew how to organise the troops. The only time Norman looked consistently good was playing outside of Hunt.

Wasnt there a guy that played outside Hunt called Jared Kahu (i think) ?
I used to think he looked a good prospect but i've never heard of him since.

Yep, Jordan's older brother who inspired him to leave the Tigers and sign with the Broncos.

He was flakey. Ended up going to the Cowboys at the end of the 08 season and didn't last long. Last I heard, he's back in NZ moving on with his life.

Yep, Jordan's older brother who inspired him to leave the Tigers and sign with the Broncos.

He was flakey. Ended up going to the Cowboys at the end of the 08 season and didn't last long. Last I heard, he's back in NZ moving on with his life.

Thats a shame.
Damn Cowboys, those chumps were as bad as the Titans are back then at poaching young players. total shotgun approach, buy 10 and hope 1 turns good.

He still plays in the local rugby competition in NZ

Yeah I do. Which is why it's frustrating seeing Norman look like a visionless fool and Hala barely lasting 10 minutes. Norman destroyed in the 20s, and Hala regularly dished out 60 - 70 minutes of punishment. Oh and remember that kid named Ben Hunt? The Broncos figured out a year or so ago that the Under 20's has minimal bearing on how players will perform in the top grade. The only players so far that looked the goods out of the blocks were the few games that Hoffman deputised for Hunt (in 2008?) and McGuire from his first season. This is the reason that a lot of the U20s players have been doing time in the Q Cup instead. Players like Whitchurch. It doesn't necessarily mean that if they carve in the Q Cup they're a sure thing for the NRL, but the transition to NRL is a lot smoother after playing against grown men.
Norman played the same in 20s as he has done at 5/8 in first grade and I could never work out what they were seeing in him. Hunt while okay would not have made previous Broncos junior teams as a play maker. I will give you that Hala went well in 20s but never looked comfortable as a 60 or 70 minute player. Hoffman was good but not in the same class as Gagai.
Jared Kahu appeared to be more worried about himself looking good than the team and it still did not work. Also while I am at it, a few of you have been calling for Baptiste and he can be good running from dummy half but if you watch only him he does too much time with his hands on his hips. He may have changed in Qcup. His game against Souths last year was the same, good for 80 % and lazy for 20. Until he sorts that part of his game out I cannot see him as a starting hooker.
I have watched our junior teams since we played in the sunshine coast league and the team at the moment while not in the same class across the board has a few players who just might be in the same class as some of them.
BTW the best Broncos junior I have seen did not make it. He could not handle Brisbane and eventually went back to central QLD. His name was Paul Isles and I think he died in his mid to late 20s.

Kahu hasn't shown much in NRL at all. But no more than say Copely, Gagai, Maranta or even Yow Yeh in their first handful of games.

I would love to see him bust out. Thank god Norman and the left hand Reed, Hoffman connection are firing to offer us something.

Would have love to see Hodgo tear apart Bryson Goodwin all night.

Maranta - > Kahu -> Prince -> Gillett - I know where I'd be running.

I am quietly confident tonight. Souths had a massive effort last week and came away with a big win. They won't be expecting to have to put in as much against the Broncos, whereas our boys got the 2 points but were very very rusty.

We've got a point to prove, Souths have an excuse.

I've got Broncos on the 6.5 line.

Agree with pretty much everything Splinter, especially the part about Norman and Hunt. I must say though, that Hoffman had a spectacular stint as the U20's fullback...

Kahu has played 1 game. He didn't disgrace himself. Lets just see how he goes after a few games under his belt. He hasn't played a lot of footy over the last 3 years.

Last edited:
I just hope the coach sees that Maranta doesn't offer anything, is sometimes a liability and swaps him out for Kemp next week. Come on Griffin!! Everyone aboard the Kemp Train, choo choo!

I think there's only 1 spot left on the Kemp train and it's reserved for hook. Knowing my luck maranta will turn around and kill it tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.