/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Is that confirmed? I thought the 30k fine was only speculated at this stage

Only speculated at this stage. He is actually only facing a 10k fine.

I can understand Pay’s frustration in regards to the penalty at the end.

The contact was very minimal and there was nothing in it. Boyd was never denied a chance to go for the ball. He took a dive instead and played it well.

But in saying that, they have been consistent with that all year. You only need to brush the shoulder with the hand, like what Lewis did with Slater, and you will get 10 in the bin and cop a penalty.
The penalty was warranted for obstructing the player. 10 in the bin was perhaps overkill (as professional foul could be argued) but the penalty was always warranted no matter how minor the contact was.

Pay should be furious at Mbye for literally attempting to pull Boyd back. The fact he attempted to pull him back means he thought for a split second Boyd was a chance at scoring and a penalty was better than him scoring.

Hindsight (and video footage) is a beautiful thing but that was a penalty all day every day no matter how soft and no matter how big the dive.

Funny too cause Bennett said in the presser that it was just an ankle and no concision. I don't know but he looked pretty concussed to me.
He was gone definite concussion...

if he weren't such a tough bastard he wouldn't have been able to make his feet and we would've kept the ball

Well he's a quite successful ex-player, so he has more knowledge of the game than us fans. He's still dead wrong though. Maybe he's following other coaches' leads, sooking to the media, hoping the refs gift him some games in return.
Well he is good buddies with Ricky Stuart, and was an assistant at Canberra, so learnt from the master whinger for sure. Should just shut the **** up and tear Mbye a new arse for doing something stupid when the game was on the line.

Speaking of press conferences, I know Jackson really only has to be mentioned (adoringly usually) and gets MotM, even against the bye but he is one seriously ugly bloke.

I mean, there are some beautiful athletes out there - Minto, Lockyer, Stoinis. Jackson is just flat out ugly, a face only a mother or player award judge could love.

Speaking of press conferences, I know Jackson really only has to be mentioned (adoringly usually) and gets MotM, even against the bye but he is one seriously ugly bloke.

I mean, there are some beautiful athletes out there - Minto, Lockyer, Stoinis. Jackson is just flat out ugly, a face only a mother or player award judge could love.
Have you also noticed how downright enormous his head is?!?
Seriously, it’s like looking at a carton of beer sitting atop a toothpick.
When they released those NRL bobble-head characters I almost couldn’t tell the difference.

Your only argument is that Boyd shouldn’t be in the team as I can see it. You make no argument that he should be fullback only not a centre. And centre is no where as demanding as fullback physically just ask Inglis who is similarly nursing leg issues.

As for shortest player in team playing fullback please don’t tell Matt Bowen, Billy Slater, Ponga just to name a few that being shorter means you can’t play fullback. And that the same above players would be crap at halfback but still very good at the back. Btw I’m not a fan of KNik at fullback but arguing a negative doesn’t make the opposite positive true.

Why is it compromised judgement to suggest that Boyd hasn’t been up to fitness or form and therefore isn’t right for the job at least until he can fully stretch out?

As for Bennett favouritism arguments once again not unreasonable. Boyd has moved every club with Bennett. Very rare. Boyd was never the right buy for Broncs when he came back we needed a halfback (Hunt was always a five eight and still is in all bar number). Bennett has refused to entertain even possibility of an alternative option at fullback or a rest when Boyd clearly unfit. Boyd gets a long term contract which if reports are true is mind boggling bad decision making based on info available at the time of signing. Add in why on earth Boyd got captaincy when hardly a leader of men (and can’t talk to a ref or harden up to lead by example rather than whinge) a lot of fair questions. Why does whole Broncos defensive structure go to crap when he was out? He’s a good defensive organiser but no player should be that important to a defensive line unless coached that way. Either Boyd is a modern day legend on par with Locky or perhaps there is a pattern of him getting preferential treatment. Can’t prove it but pattern is concerning. He’s been a good player in the past and may or may not be again but just not one worth the cost (in opportunity costs for better players or players required to fill positions, likely future contract size, leadership vacuum) Broncs have paid for him. Foolish to build a team around him like Broncs have tried to.

Look at his state of origin record his best performances are being given a specific job to accomplish and let the better heads run the team. His combination with Inglis was largely because Inglis when fit is phenomenal. Boyd was good enough to do the job to finish what a real superstar started. Isn’t a slight on Boyd just that he isn’t the main man Bennett seems to make him out to be.

My argument is that Boyd's best position is fullback, and the Broncos' best fullback is Boyd. It's that simple. He's not going as well as he could be, as we all know he can be, but he's still our best fullback, easily.

The Broncos weren't in desperate need of a halfback when Bennett came back, that's revisionist history that's been repeated often enough to become truth for some. Hunt is a halfback, he just also possesses a fantastic running game.

As for Wayne's favouritism towards Boyd, once again, the notion that Wayne is blinded by their relationship is another fallacy that has become truth for people who want to believe it. People think that Boyd is given preferential treatment, and with the lack of any knowledge of what actually goes on, Wayne being compromised is the only explanation they can muster.

How about we look at why Wayne holds Boyd in such a high regard. It's been well reported by the media, and repeated by Wayne, that Boyd is the ultimate professional and always leads by example. He is a perfectionist and constantly works on his game to improve. And after a long history of battling mental demons, has finally come out the other side with a newfound maturity and dedication to looking after himself. Is that not the exact kind of person you want leading a team? Not just some super-skilled guy who has cruised to an elite level, but a busted, hardened toiler that has been there, done that, and knows exactly what is required to win a battle.

We already know the media will jump on the slightest murmur and blow it out to be the end of the world. Cartwright, and the jealousy of the under-paid Titans being an example. And we already know that the media, led by a select few ringleaders with a massive grudge against Wayne, have waged a war against him and the Broncos above anything most of us have ever seen in the game. Do you think if there was even a whisper about the players not respecting Boyd, of any unrest in terms of what Boyd brings, that the media would not be all over it? It would be a fairytale for them. But there's been nothing of the sort reported.

The answer could well be that Bennett doesn't treat Boyd differently. That, despite what people want to make of errors, slow PTB's, bitching to refs, Boyd is still the best captain and fullback for the team. That players respect him completely, that the things that we don't see for the 99% of the time he is not on the television are as meticulous, professional, and tireless as has been reported for his entire career. And that people are simply reading way too much in to the appearance certain aspects of his game. His fitness and form are down, there's no argument there, but he's a champion and so is Bennett, and both have proven themselves over and over again. I expect they'll do the same again.

207191d8d842a46464c7ebd0265c3fd0

Joe Ofahengaue dedicated Bulldogs try to partner, who is battling cancer

May 5, 2018

JOE Ofahengaue normally dedicates all his tries to his beloved mum.

But when the young prop crossed the line at a crucial point in the Broncos’ win over the Bulldogs last Thursday night, that four-pointer was for someone else.

The determination on his face as he barrelled under the goalposts was evident.

But there was more to that try than met the eye.

It was for his high school sweetheart and long-term girlfriend, Sofi Leota, who that same week had undergone a mastectomy on her right breast to remove a tumour and lymph nodes for grade three invasive breast cancer.

She received the diagnosis late last month in a shock for the young couple, who have been together for seven years since meeting at Ipswich’s St Peter Claver College.

But Ofahengaue said Leota, 23, was proving to be his inspiration.

While they await the results of the operation, Ofahengaue said he was doing everything he could for his partner who had shown incredible strength in the past two weeks.

“I’m so glad I got a win for her, I’m so glad I got a try for her. I knew she’d be watching,” Ofahengaue said after Brisbane’s 22-20 defeat of the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium.

“We’re there for each other all the time. It’s one of those things where I wish I could fight this battle for her but I obviously can’t.

“When we first found out it was tough, but she’s a very strong woman. I love her to death and I’ve always got her back. Whatever she needs me to do.”

Ofahengaue said Leota had also started up a blog to connect with people who had been through a similar battle or were currently on the same journey.

The pair are expected to receive the results from her mastectomy this week, and Leota is also documenting her experience with IVF as she prepares for her future.

Ofahengaue said the couple had received plenty of support from family, friends and his teammates to help them get through this time.

“Right now we’re just praying and hoping it’s not too bad,” he said.

“I’m just glad we have a lot of people who are there for us in times like this. In a way, I know we’re going to be stronger when we come out of this whole thing.

“She knows how much we love her and how much support she’s going to get through this whole thing.

“All the (Broncos) boys know now so they’re all behind us.

“Stuff like this shows we’re not just players. We also have a life out of footy and our stuff out of footy does affect what happens on the field.

“But if you have a strong base, a strong support system around you, it helps in a big way ... our family has been behind us the whole way.

“She’s really loved. She’s my best friend … I’ll be there for her.”

Source: Courier Mail

Awful to hear about that stuff, especially at such a young age. Best wishes to her, and very glad she has a champ such as JoO by her side.

My argument is that Boyd's best position is fullback, and the Broncos' best fullback is Boyd. It's that simple. He's not going as well as he could be, as we all know he can be, but he's still our best fullback, easily.

The Broncos weren't in desperate need of a halfback when Bennett came back, that's revisionist history that's been repeated often enough to become truth for some. Hunt is a halfback, he just also possesses a fantastic running game.

As for Wayne's favouritism towards Boyd, once again, the notion that Wayne is blinded by their relationship is another fallacy that has become truth for people who want to believe it. People think that Boyd is given preferential treatment, and with the lack of any knowledge of what actually goes on, Wayne being compromised is the only explanation they can muster.

How about we look at why Wayne holds Boyd in such a high regard. It's been well reported by the media, and repeated by Wayne, that Boyd is the ultimate professional and always leads by example. He is a perfectionist and constantly works on his game to improve. And after a long history of battling mental demons, has finally come out the other side with a newfound maturity and dedication to looking after himself. Is that not the exact kind of person you want leading a team? Not just some super-skilled guy who has cruised to an elite level, but a busted, hardened toiler that has been there, done that, and knows exactly what is required to win a battle.

We already know the media will jump on the slightest murmur and blow it out to be the end of the world. Cartwright, and the jealousy of the under-paid Titans being an example. And we already know that the media, led by a select few ringleaders with a massive grudge against Wayne, have waged a war against him and the Broncos above anything most of us have ever seen in the game. Do you think if there was even a whisper about the players not respecting Boyd, of any unrest in terms of what Boyd brings, that the media would not be all over it? It would be a fairytale for them. But there's been nothing of the sort reported.

The answer could well be that Bennett doesn't treat Boyd differently. That, despite what people want to make of errors, slow PTB's, bitching to refs, Boyd is still the best captain and fullback for the team. That players respect him completely, that the things that we don't see for the 99% of the time he is not on the television are as meticulous, professional, and tireless as has been reported for his entire career. And that people are simply reading way too much in to the appearance certain aspects of his game. His fitness and form are down, there's no argument there, but he's a champion and so is Bennett, and both have proven themselves over and over again. I expect they'll do the same again.

Good read, can agree with Some points however I think for a while now Boyd has been coaxing along on reputation and past performances. Much of the criticism levelled at him is fair IMO.

View attachment 2954

Joe Ofahengaue dedicated Bulldogs try to partner, who is battling cancer

May 5, 2018

JOE Ofahengaue normally dedicates all his tries to his beloved mum.

But when the young prop crossed the line at a crucial point in the Broncos’ win over the Bulldogs last Thursday night, that four-pointer was for someone else.

The determination on his face as he barrelled under the goalposts was evident.

But there was more to that try than met the eye.

It was for his high school sweetheart and long-term girlfriend, Sofi Leota, who that same week had undergone a mastectomy on her right breast to remove a tumour and lymph nodes for grade three invasive breast cancer.

She received the diagnosis late last month in a shock for the young couple, who have been together for seven years since meeting at Ipswich’s St Peter Claver College.

But Ofahengaue said Leota, 23, was proving to be his inspiration.

While they await the results of the operation, Ofahengaue said he was doing everything he could for his partner who had shown incredible strength in the past two weeks.

“I’m so glad I got a win for her, I’m so glad I got a try for her. I knew she’d be watching,” Ofahengaue said after Brisbane’s 22-20 defeat of the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium.

“We’re there for each other all the time. It’s one of those things where I wish I could fight this battle for her but I obviously can’t.

“When we first found out it was tough, but she’s a very strong woman. I love her to death and I’ve always got her back. Whatever she needs me to do.”

Ofahengaue said Leota had also started up a blog to connect with people who had been through a similar battle or were currently on the same journey.

The pair are expected to receive the results from her mastectomy this week, and Leota is also documenting her experience with IVF as she prepares for her future.

Ofahengaue said the couple had received plenty of support from family, friends and his teammates to help them get through this time.

“Right now we’re just praying and hoping it’s not too bad,” he said.

“I’m just glad we have a lot of people who are there for us in times like this. In a way, I know we’re going to be stronger when we come out of this whole thing.

“She knows how much we love her and how much support she’s going to get through this whole thing.

“All the (Broncos) boys know now so they’re all behind us.

“Stuff like this shows we’re not just players. We also have a life out of footy and our stuff out of footy does affect what happens on the field.

“But if you have a strong base, a strong support system around you, it helps in a big way ... our family has been behind us the whole way.

“She’s really loved. She’s my best friend … I’ll be there for her.”

Source: Courier Mail

You hear stories like this, Haas’ brother, Milford’s dad, James Roberts childhood, Moose’s dad struggling at home with PTSD from war, even something like Birds arthritis. It’s easy to forget about some times because of the big pay checks but some of these kids have had to deal with so much shit in their young lives.

I agree hard to know what is going on behind the scenes. But it’s also an assumption to turn a lack of evidence of players unhappy with Boyd into positive proof he is a great captain. It could easily be they learnt from the rat drama and you dont talk smack about coaches son or a guy with a hard past without getting booted or at least looking like a d***. He is probably even liked well but doesn’t make you the right choice for captain. Agree with you about respect for toilers but toilers while very necessary are usually not sufficient to win premierships especially if you expect them to be the key.

I disagree with revisionist history as well. I recall thinking Milf/Hunt was a bad idea from day 1. Doubt I was only one. Especially after Barba and Hoffman. Don’t think Hunt has been all he is cracked up to be at dragons but see how much better he looks when Widdop is helping him. Hunt is a running half who can do other things but is far from a traditional rounded halfback. Doesn’t matter what number 6 or 7 you put on his back he needs a specialist half with complimentary skills. He’s not the type of half who you can pair with a running 5/8 that comes in and out of the game when suits and expect sustained success at
least without a clever game style and a lot of form and luck that was the cause in 2015. Especially when you put Macca at hooker and Boyd in rest of spine not a lot of playmaking and direction there.

If Boyd isn’t a protected species or overstated importance tell me why the f*** he wasn’t given a few weeks off to heal or a run in centres or wing or time in QCup when he was literally on one leg at the start for season. He’s gotten better but blind Freddy could see he wasn’t fit for a walk on the beach let alone an NRL fullback? How did someone in that expensive football department not say this guy needs some time and rehab or at least ease him back into shape to get his confidence back?

I agree hard to know what is going on behind the scenes. But it’s also an assumption to turn a lack of evidence of players unhappy with Boyd into positive proof he is a great captain. It could easily be they learnt from the rat drama and you dont talk smack about coaches son or a guy with a hard past without getting booted or at least looking like a d***. He is probably even liked well but doesn’t make you the right choice for captain. Agree with you about respect for toilers but toilers while very necessary are usually not sufficient to win premierships especially if you expect them to be the key.

I disagree with revisionist history as well. I recall thinking Milf/Hunt was a bad idea from day 1. Doubt I was only one. Especially after Barba and Hoffman. Don’t think Hunt has been all he is cracked up to be at dragons but see how much better he looks when Widdop is helping him. Hunt is a running half who can do other things but is far from a traditional rounded halfback. Doesn’t matter what number 6 or 7 you put on his back he needs a specialist half with complimentary skills. He’s not the type of half who you can pair with a running 5/8 that comes in and out of the game when suits and expect sustained success at
least without a clever game style and a lot of form and luck that was the cause in 2015. Especially when you put Macca at hooker and Boyd in rest of spine not a lot of playmaking and direction there.

If Boyd isn’t a protected species or overstated importance tell me why the f*** he wasn’t given a few weeks off to heal or a run in centres or wing or time in QCup when he was literally on one leg at the start for season. He’s gotten better but blind Freddy could see he wasn’t fit for a walk on the beach let alone an NRL fullback? How did someone in that expensive football department not say this guy needs some time and rehab or at least ease him back into shape to get his confidence back?
Your lack of evidence is apparently enough for you to demand answers from people who like you, aren't behind the scenes. Go an ask WB why he went with Boyd instead of asking Morkel.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Rowdy124
  • broncotville
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  • Old Mate
  • MrMoore
  • broncs30
  • Redux
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Thelmus
  • Spoon
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.