TPJ - 5
Haas - 4
Carrigan - 4
Nui - 3
Coates - 3
Milf - 2.5
Luke - 2
Boyd - 2
The rest have much room for improvement.
Nearly all our forwards lifted tonight, I think the backs were shocked with having so much room and so much ball in the opposition half.

The win will improve the mood around Red Hill, let's see if they can go back to back now.

Hope they still remembered the words to our team song.

Just seeking clarification. Are your votes out of 10 or 5?

Two things about Nui. He has a great footy brain for FB play, positioning and support play however I a little disappointed with his speed. He looks slow. Maybe I'm wrong but I like a FB to be really quick, at least off the mark. I thought he was on the whole too easy to tackle bringing the ball back. Papps running just then to score the Storm try was what I mean - acceleration to burn the defence. Hope Tesi's speed gets better as he develops
He will. Playing for no errors within himself but I’m seeing some real potential for and 18 year old now playing in the big league

However, well done lads, hope Lexi is ok......
That is an example of how low our team spirit is at the moment. I thought a dog shot putting your captain out of the game would have fired players up, have the forwards running off the back fence and agressive line speed. Instead, there was nothing but more running from a standing start.

Some of you are pretty hard markers. Niu had a really good game but he is a kid. He is going to make mistakes and has made mistakes BUT he is getting better each game. I reckon he could well be a long-term success. Stick with him, he is still playing a little shy. Just wait to he becomes confident.

1. Niu - I tend to be in agreement with most on here that he doesn't seem to offer much. It might be that he is just underdone at first grade level, but honestly I'd swap him and Coates around in a heartbeat. 5
2. Isaako - Yeah that is a man whose head is elsewhere. I get the feeling he knows he'll be in the hunt for another club soon enough. Dropped more pills than an all boys middle school and only made up for it with tries thanks to the brilliance of TPJ and Milford. 3
3. Farnworth - Look I like him as a player. Defensively he is very good in the centres, but he is definitely not keeping the likes of Staggs out of the position with his creativity in attack, which is non-existent. It appears to be wing or nothing for young Herbie, and short of an injury crisis in the backs, that is gonna be a tough field to fight in. 5
4. Boyd - Had a similar night to Farnworth. Didn't do much apart from defend well, which is fine on its own but for the money he's on, FMD. And it'll be Farnworth who drops off for Staggs, you can bet your tarzos on it. 5
5. Coates - He got unlucky tonight but gee whiz this kid has a massive future ahead of him. I honestly would love to see what he could do at fullback with a full pre-season in the position. He's big, he's strong, he has speed to burn and is safe as houses under the high ball. He could easily be our Tommy T if he has half a brain between his ears. 8
6. Milford - His best game in donkey's ages, and was easily the most dominant half. His kick for Isaako's first try was amazing heads up play and his bombs were giving the Dogs back line nightmares all night. He needs to start putting them up for Coates on their line because clearly we can't rely on Croft to do it. 8
7. Croft - Was not impressed with him and haven't been for awhile. Dropped that Ben Hunt like clanger off the kick off which almost set the tone for the rest of our night and never really made up for it. I can see him being benched for Dearden next week. 4
8. TPJ - As I said, MOTM and did it easily. His offloads practically won us the game and his ability to draw defenders is something to behold. With Carrigan in the 13 and Oates now staking his claim for the second row, Lodge may very well get his wish to go home on a big deal. The likes of the Tigers or the Dogs could really use him. 9
9. Luke - He seems to be finding his place in the side slowly but surely, and he did have one very good deft kick into touch in the 2nd half that stuck with me, but if I were Turpin I would hardly be quaking in my boots. When is he due back btw? 6
10. Haas - Typically ate up the metres like he was a starving elephant which laid the platform for TPJ and Milford to do what they needed to, and that alone is all we need out of Payne. Just bring the pain, get us up field and let TPJ + Carrigan handle the fancy passing moves. He along with TPJ are our long term starting props and they proved it beyond doubt tonight. 8
11. Glenn - I'm probably gonna cop some heat for this but up until his injury, I thought he had been pretty pedestrian which, if we're being honest sums up Alex Glenn's whole career. We lost nothing in terms of the captaincy when he was carted off and Te'o picked up his workload without batting an eyelash. 5
12. Oates - He finally broke the drought which was good to see, and with a classic second rower barge over no less. It's about time, frankly. He better get ready to make way for Fifita upon his return though. He can fight for Glenn's spot in 2021 from the bench. 7
13. Carrigan - Very happy with him. It was pretty no frills footy but he never dropped a ball, made plenty of metres and tackles and picked up the captaincy baton with zero sweat and got the boys home. He has just as much right to be proud of his effort as his fellow forwards. 8

14. Paix - I honestly didn't even notice him replacing Luke (I was at the pub) which is a credit to him. Being as young as he is, then coming on and picking right up where a 278 game international left off is nothing to turn your nose up at. 6
15. Flegler - Here's another one that might not want to get too comfortable. I'm sick of his braindead errors that always cost us dearly and he doesn't offer anywhere near enough to make up for it. He is a poor mans Jarrod Wallace, and he can be replaced with Joe O when he is cleared to return. 3
16. Hopoate - I'm not sure what Kennedy did to warrant being turfed out, especially for Hopoate, but to his credit he didn't come anywhere near to shaming himself as he did the last time we saw him go around. Still doesn't offer all that much and certainly won't be missed when he walks. 5
17. Te'o - You can see he is slowly but surely getting back into his groove. Sure he will never be as good as he used to be, but he is a handy, experienced utility to keep on the bench to cover multiple positions. 6

Not dirty on lodge at al. More so thinking about trying to use his $ elsewhere
I think it’s probably good to make sure we have 3 starting quality props... I think try and use fleglers money elsewhere overpaid and just isn’t performing consistently enough... just lazy mistakes that really put us on the back foot... money could get us a decent prop that doesn’t make those errors and contribute better elsewhere in the cap

1. Niu - I tend to be in agreement with most on here that he doesn't seem to offer much. It might be that he is just underdone at first grade level, but honestly I'd swap him and Coates around in a heartbeat. 5
2. Isaako - Yeah that is a man whose head is elsewhere. I get the feeling he knows he'll be in the hunt for another club soon enough. Dropped more pills than an all boys middle school and only made up for it with tries thanks to the brilliance of TPJ and Milford. 3
3. Farnworth - Look I like him as a player. Defensively he is very good in the centres, but he is definitely not keeping the likes of Staggs out of the position with his creativity in attack, which is non-existent. It appears to be wing or nothing for young Herbie, and short of an injury crisis in the backs, that is gonna be a tough field to fight in. 5
4. Boyd - Had a similar night to Farnworth. Didn't do much apart from defend well, which is fine on its own but for the money he's on, FMD. And it'll be Farnworth who drops off for Staggs, you can bet your tarzos on it. 5
5. Coates - He got unlucky tonight but gee whiz this kid has a massive future ahead of him. I honestly would love to see what he could do at fullback with a full pre-season in the position. He's big, he's strong, he has speed to burn and is safe as houses under the high ball. He could easily be our Tommy T if he has half a brain between his ears. 8
6. Milford - His best game in donkey's ages, and was easily the most dominant half. His kick for Isaako's first try was amazing heads up play and his bombs were giving the Dogs back line nightmares all night. He needs to start putting them up for Coates on their line because clearly we can't rely on Croft to do it. 8
7. Croft - Was not impressed with him and haven't been for awhile. Dropped that Ben Hunt like clanger off the kick off which almost set the tone for the rest of our night and never really made up for it. I can see him being benched for Dearden next week. 4
8. TPJ - As I said, MOTM and did it easily. His offloads practically won us the game and his ability to draw defenders is something to behold. With Carrigan in the 13 and Oates now staking his claim for the second row, Lodge may very well get his wish to go home on a big deal. The likes of the Tigers or the Dogs could really use him. 9
9. Luke - He seems to be finding his place in the side slowly but surely, and he did have one very good deft kick into touch in the 2nd half that stuck with me, but if I were Turpin I would hardly be quaking in my boots. When is he due back btw? 6
10. Haas - Typically ate up the metres like he was a starving elephant which laid the platform for TPJ and Milford to do what they needed to, and that alone is all we need out of Payne. Just bring the pain, get us up field and let TPJ + Carrigan handle the fancy passing moves. He along with TPJ are our long term starting props and they proved it beyond doubt tonight. 8
11. Glenn - I'm probably gonna cop some heat for this but up until his injury, I thought he had been pretty pedestrian which, if we're being honest sums up Alex Glenn's whole career. We lost nothing in terms of the captaincy when he was carted off and Te'o picked up his workload without batting an eyelash. 5
12. Oates - He finally broke the drought which was good to see, and with a classic second rower barge over no less. It's about time, frankly. He better get ready to make way for Fifita upon his return though. He can fight for Glenn's spot in 2021 from the bench. 7
13. Carrigan - Very happy with him. It was pretty no frills footy but he never dropped a ball, made plenty of metres and tackles and picked up the captaincy baton with zero sweat and got the boys home. He has just as much right to be proud of his effort as his fellow forwards. 8

14. Paix - I honestly didn't even notice him replacing Luke (I was at the pub) which is a credit to him. Being as young as he is, then coming on and picking right up where a 278 game international left off is nothing to turn your nose up at. 6
15. Flegler - Here's another one that might not want to get too comfortable. I'm sick of his braindead errors that always cost us dearly and he doesn't offer anywhere near enough to make up for it. He is a poor mans Jarrod Wallace, and he can be replaced with Joe O when he is cleared to return. 3
16. Hopoate - I'm not sure what Kennedy did to warrant being turfed out, especially for Hopoate, but to his credit he didn't come anywhere near to shaming himself as he did the last time we saw him go around. Still doesn't offer all that much and certainly won't be missed when he walks. 5
17. Te'o - You can see he is slowly but surely getting back into his groove. Sure he will never be as good as he used to be, but he is a handy, experienced utility to keep on the bench to cover multiple positions. 6
Most of that was spot on... couldn’t disagree more with your statements on Oates, Glenn, Niu and Xavier at fullback (Shittest defender in our team by a mile) partly agree with Boyd and Herbie but the rest you were pretty spot on
[automerge]1594473301[/automerge]
I was with you until that second last sentence. He just ran for 200+m and his positioning had him taking kicks on his chest all night, starting us off in good field position. He also has shown a handy little passing game for try assists 2 games in a row. He’s a vast improvement on Isaako.
Not to mention is 18 and is getting rapidly better every game

Last edited:
Me at 7.30pm

“Scrappy game but gee it was good just to have a win again after going months without one. Some positives but same worrying signs still remain. Our discipline and handling is still diabolical. Our attack is very lacklustre and still rely on individual brilliance. Don’t expect a win against the Tigers next week. Think we are going to get pumped.

Me at 9.30pm after another 6 whiskeys
6 whiskeys in 2 hours, that is some impressive drinking.

Agree. Doesn't look ready to me either, struggles to make any metres with his runs, gets driven back regularly, has minimal speed, below average passing, no kicking game. Poor defensively.

I think he's got a better chance of being a good centre than a good fullback.
I understand what you mean he does feel like he is missing something but his performance tonight completely contradicts everything you said except for pace... made 200+ metres from 19 runs great positional play which puts us on the front foot early in the tackle count had a try assist and has a decent pass and as for kicking game you can’t really say he doesn’t possess one when he doesn’t get any opportunities to show it off and considering he played in the halves for Tonga he does possess somewhat of a kicking game.... also on the speed front everyone seems to be convinced that he is bloody fast so I would wait a bit longer to be heavily critical on that one

i think Niu is being undersold here. He looks very promising. He offers all of the essentials of a fullback. Decent playmaking on the sweep and a willing support player. Yes he's currently not got the tackle breaking or speed that makes an excellent fullback but we haven't had a competent one since Hodges was back there.

Hopefully those things develop over time. Definitely a good backup option.

Nui ran for over 200 meter and made 7 tackle breaks no problems getting on the front foot there.

Has Niu even had a chance to get in a foot race yet? Give him a chance.

Nui ran for over 200 meter and made 7 tackle breaks no problems getting on the front foot there.

Literally nobody is saying he played poorly, a couple of us are just questioning whether he has the top speed to be anything close to a top tier fullback.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up as a centre, his body shape and style of running reminds me a lot of Michael Jennings.

Does a fullback really need speed?

I think it's a bit of an overrated quality regarding fullbacks. It wasn't long ago we had the form fullback in the comp, and he wasn't a speedster. Neither was Hunt.

I think we've seen over the years you don't need speed to be a top tier fullback.

The qualities needed, Niu doesn't have. That's something he's going to have to develop if he wants to go any further in the role.

Active Now

• Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.