vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bennett has only managed to beat him once.

Round 25, 2013.

Bennett has gone up against a Griffin coached side 10 times for 1 win, 8 losses and 1 draw.
yep its an uncanny record.

Was that when Bennett was coaching the knights?

As if the Knights were gonna beat us lol

As if the Knights were gonna beat us lol

You could argue the same about the Dragons. He had them at the end of '09 when Sims & Kenny brutalised them, and I was at the game in 2010 when we beat them at their own grind. And the semi in 2011 of course. All 3 seasons ended with a busted Lockyer.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/04/26/broncos_panthers_fir.html

1493179753366.jpg;pv3d390ea77016282f

Bryan Niebling played only three games - for three wins - against the Panthers in his short career with the Broncos, but he clearly remembers that none of the victories were ever easy.
Niebling, already a 13 Test and nine Origin veteran when the Broncos joined the NRL (then NSWRL) competition in 1988, had just two seasons with the club before finishing his career in England. But from his brief experience in the toughest rugby league competition played, he knows the Broncos will be courting danger if they underestimate the Panthers tomorrow night.
“They may not be in the greatest of form at the moment and are probably not where many thought they would be on the ladder, but I see this as a real danger game for the Broncos,” said Niebling, who is now 56 and a grandfather to two little girls.
“At the end of last season the Panthers were as hot as any team in the competition with their eight wins from their final nine premiership rounds. And teams don’t lose that skill, they just lose form.

“They will find their mojo again – the Broncos want to hope it is not this week.”
Niebling recalls the Broncos of 1988 copping a reality shock from the Panthers in just the second game of their foundation season. The Broncos had scored a 44-10 win against premiers Manly the previous weekend and were still digesting the plaudits and an immediate premiership favouritism tag.
“I’m not saying we went into the game with or heads in the clouds, but it was tough to come down from the high we were on from that win against Manly,” he recalled.

“We beat Penrith 20-18 in a really tough, physical game, and had to come from behind to do it. I think it was Smokin’ Joe (Kilroy) who scored with 10 minutes to go to get us home. We let a good halftime lead (16-2) slip, and it is never easy to come back when the opposition has gained the momentum.”
The Broncos fielded a star-studded side that afternoon. Niebling was one of 11 players who had either played for his country or would go on to represent the Kangaroos.
But, as he stressed, the Panthers were not short on talent either.

“They had a big, aggressive forward pack that included Mark Geyer, John Cartwright, Peter Kelly and a raw-boned prop named Matt Goodwin, who I think was a shearer from the bush,” he said.
“And in the backs they had rep players Greg Alexander, Brad Izzard and Chris Mortimer, as well as a big tall centre – Graeme Bradley – who preferred to run over the top of blokes rather than around them.”
Niebling said there was a lot about Penrith that reminded him of the Broncos.
“They have a huge junior area and produce a host of local talent and, like the Broncos, aren’t particularly the flavour of the month with the other Sydney fans,” he said. “And now that Anthony Griffin is in charge, there is another link to our club.”

Bryan Niebling‘s three wins against the Panthers came in 1988 – 22-18 and 8-6 - and in 1989 - 28-8.
Round 2, 1988: Broncos 20 (Greg Conescu, Allan Langer, Keith Gee, Joe Kilroy tries; Terry Matterson 2 goals) beat Panthers 18, at Lang Park (now Suncorp Stadium; Penalties: Panthers 7-6; Crowd: 13,621; Referee: Kevin Roberts.
Broncos: Colin Scott, Joe Kilroy, Chris Johns, Gene Miles, Michael Hancock, Wally Lewis (c), Allan Langer, Greg Dowling, Greg Conescu, Bryan Niebling, Keith Gee, Billy Noke, Terry Matterson . Interchange: Kerrod Walters, Mark Hohn

To correct that story Walters and Hohn would have been replacement reserves back then, the way rugby and soccer works. Joe kilroys was that generation's "James Roberts". As a kid I loved it when he got that ball. You got that same anticipation. Hopefully Roberts' career is longer and ends much brighter.
It was Joe Kilroy, I was introduced to as a young fellow when I got interviewed at redhill. He just been busted over the drugs and was employed to mow the lawns. But he was the first bronco I met in person, and it was like meeting royalty for a young bloke who was more used to feeding farm animals and having them for company.

To correct that story Walters and Hohn would have been replacement reserves back then, the way rugby and soccer works. Joe kilroys was that generation's "James Roberts". As a kid I loved it when he got that ball. You got that same anticipation. Hopefully Roberts' career is longer and ends much brighter.
It was Joe Kilroy, I was introduced to as a young fellow when I got interviewed at redhill. He just been busted over the drugs and was employed to mow the lawns. But he was the first bronco I met in person, and it was like meeting royalty for a young bloke who was more used to feeding farm animals and having them for company.

That's one of those records that you'd think would have to even up. Probably more of a worry for Griffen.
Hook won't be around long enough for it to even come close to evening up. Bennett will peg one back tomorrow night though.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but it's Glenn's 200th game for the club becoming the 13th player to achieve that.

I hope I'm wrong but I've sort of got the feeling that our 'casualness' in the last couple of games might just continue and finally slap us up the side of the head with a loss tonight.

Last weeks 'effort' has definitely knocked my confidence a bit.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but it's Glenn's 200th game for the club becoming the 13th player to achieve that.
Only 13th player to play 200 games for the club. That is an amazing achievement for a nuffie we should drop and not resign.

That number seems low... pretty amazing...

He cops a bit but I really like Glenn. Has played a lot of strong games for us and I believe he'll be a big contributor for a few years yet.

How about just going out tonight and winning in a manner that doesn't cause heart issues to members of this board. Might be a nice change. Also....Despite often having Bennett's number, I don't think much of Anthony Sloth Griffin.

Bennett has only managed to beat him once.

Round 25, 2013.

Bennett has gone up against a Griffin coached side 10 times for 1 win, 8 losses and 1 draw.

It's interesting coaches he's fared the worst against with a minimum of five games.

Griffin 1/10 and a draw
Furner 2/8
Brown 4/13
Bellamy 10/30
Toovey 2/6

I'd like to know if this is the first time we have played a team which has 4 players with hyphenated names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • HarryAllan7
  • Battler
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Big Del
  • Culhwch
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Cavalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fitzy
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Xzei
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.