Round 9 - Eels vs. Broncos - Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Because Peter Wallace couldn't organise a **** in a brothel .........

just sayin'

Maybe you are right. The problem is nothing is being done about it.

For example, if I was the coach, and I had a set play which seriously works, I would be INSISTING that it is set in every game at least once.

Manly do it, the Storm do it, Souths do it, the Roosters do it. They do it every week. Sure, the opportunity has to be there, but a lot of class football is about constructing opportunities - going out there and deliberately creating the circumstances. It mightn't always happen when you want it, but you keep trying.

I mean, the set play with Prince > Gillett, or the left side quick passing rush with Glenn running the hole ... they are deadly. We have used both once in 7 games and both resulted in tries.

This is where I get seriously pissed off with Hook or whoever is responsible for DRILLING some DISCIPLINE and ORGANIZATION into this side which has shown it is capable of beating any team

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Peter was voted as the best Bronco on friday, don't know what everyone is complaining about.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Those plays only work when you have caught the defence in a certain state of disarray. Same as the left side play of Lockyer, with Hunt coming in as the extra man. The forwards would have to punch up the defence to allow that room. So trying to pull off those plays at just any time will not only be useless, but show their hand to the opposition so they know what plays are potentially coming.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Those plays only work when you have caught the defence in a certain state of disarray. Same as the left side play of Lockyer, with Hunt coming in as the extra man. The forwards would have to punch up the defence to allow that room. So trying to pull off those plays at just any time will not only be useless, but show their hand to the opposition so they know what plays are potentially coming.

I didn't say that. Apart from which, every team knows every other team's plays. The point is to create the opportunities, not just try it whenever.

For goodness sake, if something works, you try to create the situation for it to work, and the art of class is patience and persistence

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I didn't say that. Apart from which, every team knows every other team's plays. The point is to create the opportunities, not just try it whenever.

For goodness sake, if something works, you try to create the situation for it to work, and the art of class is patience and persistence

Well there's your answer. If you suspect that other teams know the plays, then they know how to get their defence set to negate those plays.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Well that sucks. Baptiste looking sharp until stumbling off with a buggered shoulder. Ironically attempting to stop Granville from scoring. Get used to Hunt staying on the bench forever.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Well there's your answer. If you suspect that other teams know the plays, then they know how to get their defence set to negate those plays.

Ah, coaches watch replays of every game and probably every other teams game every round. Everyone knows everyone's game. It's individual brilliance, mistakes, bad luck, bad refs, and sometime poor team selections which make the difference - like playing Baptiste.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Is anyone going to the leagues club for this game?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Realistically there isn't a great deal of changes we can make to the side. Hunt to halfback would be great but it just won't happen while Prince and Wallace are fit IMO. Maranta getting dropped would be great but for who? Kahu has hardly played on the wing and Kemp hasn't played much footy.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'd like to see a smart and creative kicking game. Kicking across field to Maranta is dumb IMO. Go left to Reed and Hoffman. Our side just lacks creativity as a whole. I am not sure if it is coached out of them or they just don't have it. We have no variety in any of our attacking plays.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
I'd like us to do grubbers at the oppositions in-goal and try and force a repeat set, I'm sick and tired of bombing it to the winger on the last.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I remember Reed was pretty damn good under the high ball in his first 2 years. Scored a bunch of tries from them.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Ah, coaches watch replays of every game and probably every other teams game every round. Everyone knows everyone's game. It's individual brilliance, mistakes, bad luck, bad refs, and sometime poor team selections which make the difference - like playing Baptiste.

The point is, the opposition haven't been making the defensive errors to put the Broncos in the position to employ that plays that put Glenn / Gillett through. You originally said they should be rolling out those plays every game, but even you said yourself that they have to be patient and wait for the opportunities. Well, those opportunities never arose, the defence was too good. So, please tell, how do they run those plays every game when the opportunity isn't there?

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
I'd like to see a smart and creative kicking game. Kicking across field to Maranta is dumb IMO. Go left to Reed and Hoffman. Our side just lacks creativity as a whole. I am not sure if it is coached out of them or they just don't have it. We have no variety in any of our attacking plays.
Exactly right. We go through predictable passing movements and put up identical kicks and wonder why we don't score. The hope is that something good will happen; the opposition will make an error or Hodges will do something amazing. 'Attacking unpredictability' and 'Brisbane Broncos' don't seem to fit well together.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I'm going to put it out there. If Norman isn't going to reneg on his Eels deal, then I want Kahu at fullback and Norman dropped. We aren't legitimate contenders but we have a chance to build a lot for the coming seasons and a departing Norman at fullack in no way helps to do that.

Unless of course we are signing Ben Barba, in which case I don't care about anything else!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I certainly wouldn't be against playing Kahu at fullback this year. especially if we aren't signing a gun fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.