10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Dowell

Daniel Dowell

Banned User
Dec 6, 2013
It was pending the Blair outcome. If Blair played Kodi started. Wallace will start and now Waddell.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Daily Telegraph late mail has a lot of our players in a bit of doubt.

Gillett, McGuire & Glenn are all in doubt with niggling injuries. Pangai will travel with the team as cover if any of them are late exclusions.

Daniel Dowell

Daniel Dowell

Banned User
Dec 6, 2013
They all be good. Still got 4 days til sunday.

Daniel Dowell

Daniel Dowell

Banned User
Dec 6, 2013
3 then hey lol oops

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Schick Hydro Preview: Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Brisbane Broncos
Southern Cross Group Stadium
Sunday, 4pm

The Brisbane Broncos have their first game outside of Queensland since their one-point Round 3 loss to the Penrith Panthers over five weeks ago.

The Broncos are full of confidence after dismantling South Sydney last weekend and their players have been rewarded, with five of Brisbane's stars being selected for the Australian Kangaroos.

Captain Corey Parker, Sam Thaiday, Darius Boyd, Matt Gillett, and Josh McGuire will all be looking to justify their selections as both Brisbane and the Sharks try for six wins in a row.

The Sharks have other reasons to win, with ex-Bronco Ben Barba celebrating his 150th game in the NRL.

The Cronulla-Sutherland fullback has been one of the Sharks' best this year and both himself and fellow ex-Bronco Michael Ennis will be looking to get a win over their old team.

The Sharks are unchanged following their two-point win over Penrith last weekend and the club will celebrate the launch of the Sharks Have Heart Foundation, an initiative that looks to strengthen the club's financial future outside of football operations.

The Broncos have lost Andrew McCullough for six weeks with a hamstring injury and Adam Blair will miss the trip to Shark Park following his one-week suspension for a late hit on South Sydney halfback Adam Reynolds. It means Kodi Nikorima will start at hooker and journeyman Travis Waddell will come onto the bench.

It's not all doom and gloom for the Broncos, with New Zealand international Alex Glenn returning from a hip injury. Glenn's return has forced Herman Ese'ese out of the 17, but it's expected Brisbane will reinstate Ese'ese as Blair's replacement.

Watch out Broncos: Chad Townsend is in career-best form since returning to the Sharks this year. He has often outshone fellow recruit James Maloney and Townsend looks as if he has really found his feet working behind monster forwards Paul Gallen and Andrew Fifita. He now has three tries for the year, as well as six try assists. Townsend has turned himself into an attacking weapon for the Sharks and his teammates are benefiting, with the 25-year-old accumulating five line-break assists in eight games this year. He isn't afraid to take on the line and if his forward pack can generate some second-phase football Townsend will be the key to the Sharks breaking down Brisbane's rock solid defence.

Watch out Sharks: Josh McGuire is on cloud nine since being selected to make his debut for the Australian Kangaroos and you can expect his confidence to translate into a strong performance for the Broncos on Sunday. McGuire has the second most run metres by any forward in the NRL, with his 1321m sitting him just 55m behind Bulldogs enforcer James Graham. McGuire is a workhorse and has developed himself into a true leader of Brisbane's pack. He leads his team in total runs and is second for the Broncos in hit-ups. Cronulla-Sutherland will need their big forward pack to rush up on McGuire or else you can expect the 26-year-old to accumulate huge metres up the middle of the park.

Key match-up: Valentine Holmes vs. Corey Oates. Two of Queensland's most promising young talents go head-to-head in an intriguing battle. Both these wingers fancy themselves as future State of Origin starters and this contest will produce a showcase of their skills.

Both Holmes and Oates lead each of their clubs in line breaks, with Oates having accumulated ten and Holmes eight.

Both wingers pose a major attacking threat for their opposition and punters can expect each to have at least one try-scoring opportunity throughout the 80 minutes.

Oates is a metre-eating machine – averaging 151m per game. He will get the Broncos out of trouble continuously as they battle to take the ball out from their own end. Holmes brings more of an x-factor to the Sharks. The 20-year-old scored a length-of-the-field try in the 73rd minute of their 20-18 win last weekend and it was a play that ultimately won his team the game. On the other hand, Oates can't stop scoring tries. The 21-year-old now has seven in six games and has a handy habit of finding the try-line early on in Brisbane's matches. This contest shapes up as a brilliant match-up between two of the game's best finishers.

The history: Played 50; Sharks 19, Broncos 31. Brisbane have dominated Cronulla-Sutherland since they entered the competition in 1988. This has not translated into recent success for the Broncos, with the Sharks winning three out of their last four against Brisbane. The Broncos' only recent win came in the meeting between the two sides in Round 2 last year. That game ended 10-2 and showcased the Broncos' defensive capabilities. However, Brisbane have won their last three at Shark Park – a venue they haven't visited since 2011. Corey Oates will look to add to his impressive record of two tries in three games against the Sharks.

What are the odds: Sharks $2.12, Broncos $1.75. For every bet taken on the Sharks, Sportsbet has received 10 bets on the Broncos in the head-to-head market. Brisbane 13+ has more riding on it than all of the other winning margin combinations combined. Corey Oates is once again the favourite in the first try-scorer market – paying $7.50.

Match officials: Referee: Gerard Sutton; Assistant Referee: Adam Devcich; Touch Judges: Russell Turner & Jeff Younis; Standby: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski; Review Officials: Ben Galea & Jason Robinson; Senior RO: Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Channel 9 – Live coverage from 3:30pm; Fox Sports 1 – Live coverage from 3:30pm.

The way we see it: This will be a tough and gritty game of rugby league. We expect both forward packs to try and assert themselves early in what will be a physical contest. Two of the best defences in the competition will make it a relatively low-scoring contest and we're tipping a moment of brilliance from Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford will get Brisbane over the line. Broncos by 8.

Sharks v Broncos: Schick Preview - NRL.com

Last edited:
Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013
Is Chad Townsend really in career best form? I swear every time I see him do something, he makes a poor decision, or puts in a bad kick, or just generally makes an average play. He is the definition of an average player.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The top 25 train with each other every week until late in the week when the first grade team is selected. Then they go back to their ISC teams to train with them.

ISC teams don't get Broncos till their last session; for most on a Friday night.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
Is Chad Townsend really in career best form? I swear every time I see him do something, he makes a poor decision, or puts in a bad kick, or just generally makes an average play. He is the definition of an average player.

Doesnt mean thats not his career best :)

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Might be a good game to put money on the Sharks. We are due for a loss and never do well down there. This is purely a financial opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sus

QCup Player
Aug 20, 2013
yeah really hard to pick this one. hard to see what waddell and KNik will bring to the team without macca and blair manning the ruck.

bear in mind we're backing up from luckily piling on a few late points against a team travelling who at home this very minute trail the fucking tigers by 20 inside 20mins..

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
I also don't have a great feeling about this game. But won't back against us

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I've backed the Sharks, much to my disgust. I won't be surprised if we win, but won't be surprised if we lose either. It'll be a great test of where we're at mentally IMO.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
Might be a good game to put money on the Sharks. We are due for a loss and never do well down there. This is purely a financial opinion.

Betting against the Broncos is a good way to go broke but it's your money. I predicted last weeks result and score but the game was not played at all like I expected. I thought we would try to contain their forwards but we really came out swinging and seemed hell bent on dominating them. We have all praised the efforts of the whole pack and especially the bench and if they come out with the same attitude this week they will win even without Blair and Macca.

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
I just want to say as well that my biggest complaint last year was that we seemed to play a kind of Rope a Dope footy where as long as our defensive structures stayed intact we were happy to give up metres and let them down onto our line. Defensively this worked but it meant we started our sets from poor field position most of the time. This year I am not seeing that at all and particularly last week our line speed was good and we were really putting pressure on with our defence. To me that is a really good sign for the rest of the year.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013

We haven't lost at shark park since 09... I haven't vetted this but heard it on foxsports... They have won 3 of the last 4 against us though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Viti
  • Jazza
  • Jedhead
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.