Rugby Union World Cup 2011

I'm not so sure QC should get so much blame. If you pick a guy that plays the way he does then let him play that way. You can't pick him then say don't play the way that makes you good. Square peg round hole.

What about the commentary though, at one stage they absolutely jizzed over how many phases we were up to and all I saw was a giant game of tunnel ball which had gone about 2 mtrs then we kicked a field goal and there was more jizz

I'm not so sure QC should get so much blame. If you pick a guy that plays the way he does then let him play that way. You can't pick him then say don't play the way that makes you good. Square peg round hole.

What about the commentary though, at one stage they absolutely jizzed over how many phases we were up to and all I saw was a giant game of tunnel ball which had gone about 2 mtrs then we kicked a field goal and there was more jizz

That's Rugby Union. Control possession. Control field position. Then get 3 points either through penalty or field goal.

Tries are what you do on the chicks at the nightclubs after the game.

Then kick the ball, receive opposition return kick, kick the ball back, receive opposition return kick, kick the ball back.

And so on.

Then kick the ball, receive opposition return kick, kick the ball back, receive opposition return kick, kick the ball back.

And so on.

Yep, basically play force-em-backs until the ball goes out and you pinch it at the line out. Then play for a scrum. Then play for a penalty.

Hate losing to the Kiwis, it doesn't matter if it's in Rugby League, Union or even Netball hate losing to them, but we deserved it. Our pack is the biggest bunch of pretenders I've seen, so many issues technically and they were exposed big time on the big stage, which really we were lucky to make as we were crap all tournament. Only players who stood out to me for the Wallabies were Ioane (who didn't get enough ball, f**k off Ashley-Cooper), Genia and Barnes.

Agreed, Digby needed some one to make a little space for him and then hold on. Cooper looked like a deer caught in the headlights!

Four tries in five games against the top tier nations. Three of those were in 20 minutes against Italy, whilst the remainder was pot luck. In 240 minutes of rugby against Ireland, Sth Africa and NZ we scored once. Against the Boks and Blacks we never looked like getting inside the oppositions 22, let alone scoring.

From the armchair I thought the game plan was horribly out of touch with our strengths. The players tried hard however Mad Robbie let them down by reverting from the style that saw them win two of their three last tests against NZ. Instead he wanted to play 'tournament' rugby, which we simply did not have the cattle for.

Expansive, up tempo rugby should have been the priority. Cooper, Beale, JOC and Digby - it's their bread and butter. The ball should have spent as little time in the ruck as possible, we did NOT want to get into a forward slog. Instead, Genia - who's strength is his ability to get quick ball - was harassed all tournament, our 10 barely got any decent pill, and when he did the game plan required shovelling it off to McCabe for a crash ball!

Very poor World Cup. Losses to both Ireland and the All Blacks, whilst we fell in against an aging Saffers who couldn't score in a brothel. Deans is blessed not to be under more scrutiny.

On Quade:

He was asked to play a style of rugby foreign to him. As a result he struggled. If Mad Robbie wanted to attempt a field position, high percentage style of rugby then he had the wrong man at 10. He does need to shoulder a lot of responsibility for our tactical kicking, though. His execution of this facet was absolutely horrendous.

IMO when he was struggling he should have gone back to what works for him - distributing. It's something Deans should have tinkered with in the game plan. He has the best long passing game since Bernie and some of the most lethal backs in world rugby outside of him, yet his wide ball stayed in the kit bag all tournament. Providing early pill or picking the right one to hit with a long ball should have been a priority.

QC plays his best rugby doing this. Defences spread to cover a long ball, often leaving him one on one with his opposite. The majority of the Reds scoring plays came either directly from a QC long ball, him beating his man, or poking his head through and offloading.

The opposition knew the Wallabies were coming through the 10/12 channel and stacked their defence accordingly. There just wasn't any space there, which often lead him to panic.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.