RUMOR: "Biggest signing in the club's history"

Really? I thought it was the other way, where no matter how little we could sign him for the NRL would work out a reasonable value and apply that to the cap. So even if he played for half a sandwich and whatever he found in the stands after games he'd still chew up several hundred thousand dollars of cap space.

I'm pretty sure this is exactly why Folau couldn't be signed. The NRL sets a value for each player, regardless of what they're paid. The TPA's can top up that dollar value, but not reduce the player's salary cap value.

Re: RUMOR: "Biggest signing in the club's history"

I will outline the contract Reed signed under griffin as did Copley
2015 350k 2016 400k 2017 500k 2018 550k.
So 1.8 mill over 4 yrs. Average of 450k a yr.
If you go back before that contract he was already on 250k
Figure into this that he was international centre and a long term starting centre option.

Also we are no longer paying for Kennedy and Hoffman. And this year the final year we are only paying 100k for Barba

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
That's all hearsay. Prove it with some sources.

I know you say that but honestly how many proper sources are there? I have this convo about Reed with plenty of sources and they all say that Reed is on more money than people think.
You can also see with Copley who was signed by Griffin. The sources said that Jimmy Roberts was cheaper than Copley and we saved money. Remember Griffin also signed Barba on 800k a year. If you do some online searching of all of these you will see that.

Well the articles I've seen had him pegged at roughly 250k per year, that might be scaling, so he might be on 300k'ish, but no way I'd believe he's near 500k.

The salary cap is set at 7 million for 2017 (6.8 million this year) which is about 1/25th of the cap so it's a fair salary.

Last edited:
then you have more faith in the NRL administration than i do ... or have been smoking some good shit :tongue:

If we

Really? I thought it was the other way, where no matter how little we could sign him for the NRL would work out a reasonable value and apply that to the cap. So even if he played for half a sandwich and whatever he found in the stands after games he'd still chew up several hundred thousand dollars of cap space.
I'm sure there is a value the NRL will put to a rep player such as him, but as a 30 y/o, I doubt they would demand he be on a mil.

If the minimum fair price according to the NRL is 650K, it could made up of 300K salary, 150K marquee allowance (max 600K per year atm) and 200K TPA (unlimited). The NRL wouldn't put all the 650K on the cap, just the 300K from his salary.
Of course, if we tried a stunt like the Eels, who wanted Folau on peanuts under the cap (80K or something), then it would surely be frowned upon).

I'm sure there is a value the NRL will put to a rep player such as him, but as a 30 y/o, I doubt they would demand he be on a mil.

If the minimum fair price according to the NRL is 650K, it could made up of 300K salary, 150K marquee allowance (max 600K per year atm) and 200K TPA (unlimited). The NRL wouldn't put all the 650K on the cap, just the 300K from his salary.
Of course, if we tried a stunt like the Eels, who wanted Folau on peanuts under the cap (80K or something), then it would surely be frowned upon).

I don't think it works that way, you can't just pay half his value in TPAs. But putting that aside, who would we release to free up the marquee player allowance? Reed surely isn't getting any of that.

All this shows is that trying to squeeze Inglis in is going to have to squeeze some other(s) out. If it was just get rid of Reed and bring in GI, it would be an absolute no-brainer but good luck getting it approved by the auditors.

Can anyone provide the rule regarding the veteran cap from this year? Because this could change a lot of things you guys are talking about.

Well actually these salary cap rules change every year. These Veteran and Marquee cap stuff is always changing. And going into season 2018 is the big talking point. I believe its going to be hectic there is so many senior players comp wide in the next 2 yrs who will be retiring. Some of this middle aged players are set to recieve big pay days heading into this cap raise year. Im expecting players moving left, right and centre. We have a lot of players next year off contract.

Last edited:
I don't think it works that way, you can't just pay half his value in TPAs. But putting that aside, who would we release to free up the marquee player allowance? Reed surely isn't getting any of that.
I don't know exacty how it works to be honest. No one outside of the NRL auditors seems to know... if they do!

As to who has marquee allowance... who knows, but surely Inglis would get some of that, especially if Parker retires around that time, or Thaiday keeps declining.

Peter Nolan will be bringing Semi Radradra to us, talks are very advanced, he wants out at Parra and has done for a long time, Semi will be a Bronco.

No he won't

p.s - The biggest signing in the clubs history happened a couple of years ago, his name is Anthony Milford!

Pfft, if the Titans signing Ash Taylor is being touted as one of the best signings ever, imagine how big the Broncos re-signing him will be.

Changed your tune. You're talking about re-signing, now?

Early days, but he has exceeded my expectations, of which were quite lofty. Loving watching him play NRL level.
Mostly sarcasm. Plus I've never disliked him, someone had to point out his deficiencies and that he wasn't ready defensively. Just seemed like one of the people immune to criticism around here.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jeza23
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.