[RUMOR] Griffins future in doubt, Bennett/Walters to coach?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...job/story-fn2mcuj6-1226709152127#.UiTAzT8s8s1

BRISBANE mentor Anthony Griffin’s future is again under a cloud amid growing speculation Wayne Bennett and Kevin Walters could form a coaching alliance to rebuild the Broncos in 2015.

It comes as Broncos legend Darren Lockyer warned Ben Barba won’t single-handedly cure the club’s ills next year in a campaign that could make or break Griffin’s tenure at Red Hill.
While missing the finals for the second time in four seasons is unpalatable for Broncos hierarchy, they are backing Griffin for next season, believing he needs greater resources to revive the club as a premiership force.
Griffin is contracted until the end of 2015, but the Broncos board will simply not tolerate another failed campaign given Barba is expected to light up the Brisbane backline.
The possible contingency would see club legend Walters installed as head coach, with foundation mentor Bennett to preside over the Broncos as coaching director.
A rare critic of Brisbane, Bennett has made a series of surprise appraisals of the club following his Newcastle side’s 26-18 defeat of the Broncos last Friday night.
In the wake of the Knights victory, Bennett said missing the finals was not in Brisbane’s DNA. He continued the attack yesterday, saying halfback Peter Wallace didn’t “deserve” the way the Broncos handled his impending departure to Penrith.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Former Broncos skipper Gorden Tallis recently led a push for Walters to take charge, saying the champion pivot was a winner who understood the club’s culture.
Walters said yesterday he had not been approached about a position at the Broncos for 2015. The former captain has applied for the Cowboys post, but says he is willing to help the Broncos if his services remain available beyond next year.

COME HOME WAYNE.

How about we just hire Walters for 2014 and then Bennett can come help out in 2015 onwards :)

How about we just hire Walters for 2014 and then Bennett can come help out in 2015 onwards :)

I'd at least like Walters here next year as an assistant to Hook, then see what happens in 2015.

However Walters says he only wants a head-coaching gig .... so maybe it's all or nothing for us ??

Have said this here a couple of times already but IMO just bringing Wayne Bennett back in some capacity would be monumental for the broncos .. Just in terms of going some way towards restoring that powerhouse aura the club had during his time and more importantly restoring the place as somewhere really desirable for players from elsewhere to come to.

Seeing as we still use his game plan I'm hoping he can do some of his patented man management

We need a new game plan.

Would Wayne bring that ?

I'd at least like Walters here next year as an assistant to Hook, then see what happens in 2015.

However Walters says he only wants a head-coaching gig .... so maybe it's all or nothing for us ??

Whether he gets a head coaching role is another thing entirely. The only vacancies are Canberra, cowboys and you would have to imagine Steve price is in trouble but that's not confirmed. Raiders have made it pretty clear the want an established head coach and last I heard he was a bit down the list for the cowboys gig.

He also apparently wants to move back to his family in brisbane. I reckon he is hoping that these comments will make the board act sooner rather than later with axing griffin... Unfortunately I don't think it will happen. For mine the smart option if he doesn't get the 2 vacant head coaching gigs would be to take the assistants gig here and wait it out until griffin inevitable muffs it and we are running bottom 4 with barba in the second row and Kennedy on the wing

Nope, 2015 is not soon enough. Gives Griffin the chance to salvage a passable season next year, where Barba makes just enough of a difference to help us scrape into eighth, and as a reward the board will give Hook a five year extension.

I can see a really useful role for WB as a coaching director, an overarching coaching role, or a coach for the coaches. He has responsibility for overseeing the development of the programs and coaches at all levels. I could also see him having a valuable role in the setting up and and ongoing running of our Logan facility.

If we are to go after anybody hard it should be Michael Maguire, I'm over the whole Bennett and Griffin outdated 'grind ball'.

If we are to go after anybody hard it should be Michael Maguire, I'm over the whole Bennett and Griffin outdated 'grind ball'.

This.

Coaches aren't in the cap - throw the kitchen sink at Maguire. I'd put up with another Hook year if we knew Maguire was coming.

I'd also go after Trent Robinson too.

Wayne just isn't the answer. I think Hook needs to get punted, but why bring Bennett back for 1/2 years? We need to find ourselves a long term coach.

Oh, and Kearney can go too.

im all for getting him back as coaching director or something, because like him or not his name attracts players (footy players are dumb, as they say) - but i definitely 10000000% do not want him back ever as coach.

True, but he has to get a position first. I would imagine if he missed out on a head coaching gig, he'd sign on as an assistant to Griffin. He would have a better chance of gaining a head coach gig from there, than not being employed by any NRL club.

Have said this here a couple of times already but IMO just bringing Wayne Bennett back in some capacity would be monumental for the broncos .. Just in terms of going some way towards restoring that powerhouse aura the club had during his time and more importantly restoring the place as somewhere really desirable for players from elsewhere to come to.

Has been the plan for a long time IMO. There were all those rumours a couple of years back.

im all for getting him back as coaching director or something, because like him or not his name attracts players (footy players are dumb, as they say) - but i definitely 10000000% do not want him back ever as coach.

This. The game has moved past him, but his skills in other areas would be invaluable.

Active Now

• Redux
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • HarryAllan7
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • Horseheadsup
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • teampjta
  • Strop
  • Jedhead
  • Fozz
  • Galah
  • bazza
  • heartly87
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.