[RUMOR] Griffins future in doubt, Bennett/Walters to coach?

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Yeah because hook told them to go left all night ha maybe it was because 98% of our tries come from there so why wouldn't you. Maybe we should get henjak back and then we can go right! !!!
Maybe we should get Zoolander.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Ahh the old ego line. Was wondering how long it would take for that old chestnut to be trotted out. How did you guys arrive to that intangible?

If anything, Hook could do with a bit of an ego. A lack of it was what ended Henjak in the end.

I think someone who is so full of themselves that they wont change anything because they feel it's the only way, is somewhat of an ego.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
That's called being stubborn, something Henjak was well known for.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
I'm not saying he wasn't. But do you think someone who is stubborn because they believe their way is correct doesnt have an ego?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hook made several changes through out the season.

Was Henjak stubborn? I honestly can't remember. If anything, the guy was too insecure and that was a result of management and their transparency.

'Oops, we missed out on Craig, Neil...fine...we'll give that Ivan guy a chance...but let's surround him with a much bigger staff than he needs'

T-thanks Bruno.

Last edited:
Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
Hook made several changes through out the season.

Was Henjak stubborn? I honestly can't remember. If anything, the guy was too insecure and that was a result of management and their transparency.

'Oops, we missed out on Craig, Neil...fine...we'll give that Ivan guy a chance...but let's surround him with a much bigger staff than he needs'

T-thanks Bruno.

I hardly think he made several through out the year, and even if he did they were so mediocre nobody noticed. The only major changes he made were with what like 5 rounds to go.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Ok watching roosters and rabbits tonight , finishing one and two, obviously where we aspire to be. Can someone please point out where the amazingly coached attack was. From what I saw it was individual brilliance , Inglis, SBW . Or defensive error. My point is do we need a better attack coach , or better attacking players.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
7 rounds actually.

Hook didn't have a consistent line-up to tinker with from Round 12 - 18 and was faced with one of the toughest injury tolls in the club's history.

To say he didn't make any changes is wrong.

qlderxxxx

qlderxxxx

BRL Player
Jul 9, 2013
Ok watching roosters and rabbits tonight , finishing one and two, obviously where we aspire to be. Can someone please point out where the amazingly coached attack was. From what I saw it was individual brilliance , Inglis, SBW . Or defensive error. My point is do we need a better attack coach , or better attacking players.

Sutton and Inglis clearly hampered still by injury, and one of the worst games i've seen Reynolds have. Roosters are built on defense, not attack.

I would have no problem with adopting how either of these teams plays, as they play winning football.

qlderxxxx

qlderxxxx

BRL Player
Jul 9, 2013
7 rounds actually.

Hook didn't have a consistent line-up to tinker with from Round 12 - 18 and was faced with one of the toughest injury tolls in the club's history.

To say he didn't make any changes is wrong.

No it isn't.

I'm almost certain he would be the coach to make the least 'unforced' changes in the comp over the last two years. He only drops players due to injury. The only player he dropped this season due to form was Wallace, and when it was all too late already.

The players in our side are too comfortable, it's that simple. How your captain can constantly give away dumb penalties every weekend and only put in once a month and get away with it is beyond me.

Souths have dropped anyone under performing. Be it club captain Crocker or last year's rookie sensation Andrew Everingham, if you don't perform you don't play. It takes a coach with balls to do this, something our coach doesn't have. Especially when he seems to be best mates with half of the players, rather than their boss.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
My point was that fans were exaggerating by saying they don't make any changes. Hardly a revelation but one that lends credibility to my point that some are drawing a long bow when they make claims like Hook letting his ego interfere with the team when there is no basis for it.

Hook demonstrated that he was willing to make changes in Round 20 and it worked well scoring us a 5-2 record, our 2 losses coinciding with the injury to the Broncos main strike weapon - Justin Hodges.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
My point was that fans were exaggerating by saying they don't make any changes. Hardly a revelation but one that lends credibility to my point that some are drawing a long bow when they make claims like Hook letting his ego interfere with the team when there is no basis for it.

Hook demonstrated that he was willing to make changes in Round 20 and it worked well scoring us a 5-2 record, our 2 losses coinciding with the injury to the Broncos main strike weapon - Justin Hodges.

A good coach would have made those changes without injury forcing his hand, far, far earlier in the season than what Hook did.

I'm not saying he needs to go, but he certainly needs to make changes to how he goes about being their coach.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Injuries and Origin played a large factor in that.

A better coach would have made tough decisions in 2011 or 2012 but we don't know the full particulars.

MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011
Calm down fellas! We can all sleep at night if we all agree Griffin is a turd burger.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
qlderxxxx

qlderxxxx

BRL Player
Jul 9, 2013

The thing is - he made changes that had been screaming out for 12 months. He only made them as he was forced into them and was also stuck in a 'nosing to lose' situation.

Why Thaiday was persisted with as a prop is beyond me.

A tough coach makes the tough calls early on and a smart coach plans for the future. Griffin is neither of these, and the way he has handled our halves situation re; Ben Hunt proves it. Doesn't give the guy an extended run in the halves over 4 years and all of a sudden he's the only first grade half on our books. The lack of foresight in the treatment of not only Hunt but also in our recruitment and retention have put this club in the place it is in. It's not all Griffin's fault, but all the accountable parties shouldn't be around our club past this season. Sadly, think both Griffin and Gee will be there next year.

I honestly wonder what position we would be in if Barba didn't beat our door down. Would have we actually recruited any game breakers? Our best recruiter doesn't even work for us. Home sickness is doing a better job than Griffin and Gee combined.

Last edited:

Active Now

• westy316
  • broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • davidp
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Ironbroncos
  • Fozz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Ondi
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.