[RUMOR] Griffins future in doubt, Bennett/Walters to coach?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
One of the first things hook needs to be ready for next season is piss off his existing fitness coach (if he even has one) and hire a hard ass fitness coach that will get these guys into peak physical fitness for the 2014 season. and if they want them bulked up, to bulk them up with muscle rather than flab.

then he needs to piss off Kearney and hire a defensive coach that can teach us how to defend ... not just leak points like we're the Eels

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
For me Hook is very much in the Bennett mould. Man manager who sticks to his boring plan and expects individual brilliance to shine through. The problem is we severely lack the individual brilliance. We also need to have better structures in place. Our forwards are capable of playing a similar style to the Bulldogs. Our backs are fairly good when not injured.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, this, BB - he's such a good man manager, well good, let him have it. He also strikes me as a fairly good defensive coach, at the start of last year we were hardly leaking points at all, to the degree that even our spluttering attack was carrying us into second on the table!! Get a good attack coach, and a good fitness coach, let Griff focus on defence and managing the players. We can be up there, we just need the right coaching/conditioning structures. Let's hope Griff and the club come to the same conclusion and make those changes for next year.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Hook said himself that they will b heading in a different direction so can't see there being no changes made, that was mid year so the must be in full swing so I reckon things will be coming out soon.

rhino

rhino

NYC Player
Aug 27, 2013
And why were we short on front rowers? Lack of foresight again, didn't replace Petero, a player we knew we only had for one year.

Hala was also injured, he was being groomed for a similar type player as petro.

qlderxxxx

qlderxxxx

BRL Player
Jul 9, 2013
Hala was also injured, he was being groomed for a similar type player as petro.

That's just wrong, you mean we were grooming a prop for Petero like service by giving him 8 minutes a game? Give me a break. Another huge Hook issue - fitness and the misuse of the bench.

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
Don't know if anyone has made this comment yet ... and I realise our football dept have been criminally slow in reacting to the state of things, but I think it's worth noting that these club crises seem to run in cycles ... cold comfort I know ... but if you look back just a couple of seasons to 2011.

1. Storm
2. Sea Eagles
3. Broncos
4. Tigers
5. Dragons

9. Bulldogs
10. Rabbitohs
11. Roosters

... as I said ... cold comfort but also proof that some judicious buying can turn things around dramatically ... let's look to 2014 and give Hook a chance to redeem himself.

H

hidethesuspect

Banned User
Sep 2, 2013
Sutton and Inglis clearly hampered still by injury, and one of the worst games i've seen Reynolds have. Roosters are built on defense, not attack.

I would have no problem with adopting how either of these teams plays, as they play winning football.

Although I agree the Roosters defense is right up there, I believe they have scored more points than any other team this season. To me it looks like they are the complete package at the moment. I always thought they would make the grand final against Storm (don't think that's possible?). Still think Storm will win it again this year, unless an injury to Smith or Slater happens.

If it happens, the Storm vs Roosters game to make it to the grand final will be a good one.

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Anyone else think this is important, well ... relevant? I forget where this came from but I used the general ideas. It worked well for me getting the best out of players who just didn't put in.

Good coaching inspires players to believe in themselves is by continually putting them in situations which challenge their limiting beliefs, always pushing them outside of their comfort zone, physically, mentally and emotionally, and then helping them discover that, in fact, they can do better than they first believed they could.

The “GET COMFORTABLE BEING UNCOMFORTABLE principle.” That is, the only way to grow physically and emotionally is to constantly challenge yourself to do things that aren’t easy, to attempt things that truly stretch you.

You do not allow players to just get by with the status quo. You don't tolerate mediocrity in effort, attitude, technique, training or performance. There is nothing more motivating to a player than being challenged, experiencing themselves successfully rising to meet that test and as a result, improving.

When coaches fail to adequately challenge their players, when they instead allow them to remain stagnating within their comfort zone, they will ultimately end up losing them to boredom and apathy.

Last edited:
H

hidethesuspect

Banned User
Sep 2, 2013
Nice post there rnabokov. For me I haven't seen this happen in our squad since Griffin came aboard. The last sentence is pretty much what is happening at the moment wouldn't you agree?

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
Totally agree. I mean, we can't know for certain what goes on there but it certainly seems that way from the outside looking in

H

hidethesuspect

Banned User
Sep 2, 2013
And it eats me up inside having to sit through it every time we play. It ruins my weekend when we lose, hell even when we've won this year I have not been satisfied, just relieved. I really miss Locky :( Have I mentioned that before? We've always had at least one player who leads the team and is the very definition of what it's like to be a Broncos player. Hodges is still that but he's out on the edge and his own captain isn't backing him up, plus he's always injured for half the season. They really did mess it up not having a replacement for Locky.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
Locky was pretty special tho, just how important he actually was to the team really becomes apparent at times like these. When we were down you knew he would always give us a chance. He just kept his cool and directed the team around, he was a true captain and champion. Oh how we've missed that.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Nice post there rnabokov. For me I haven't seen this happen in our squad since Griffin came aboard. The last sentence is pretty much what is happening at the moment wouldn't you agree?

Thanks HTS. When I watch the Roosters, Manly, Sharks in particular, I see determined, motivated, energetic hard men hitting hard ... ferocious, and looking like they are enjoying it. Some of their hits, especially the Manly side make me wince yet excite me. It's like gladiators, not pussies.

They look fit and strong and move as one. I love that term: hunt in a pack, which they do, supporting each other, enjoying the pleasure of being a team of men working as one, pushing the envelope.

Damn we need to get that happening next year.

We need a coaching team with balls

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Anyone else think this is important, well ... relevant? I forget where this came from but I used the general ideas. It worked well for me getting the best out of players who just didn't put in.

Good coaching inspires players to believe in themselves is by continually putting them in situations which challenge their limiting beliefs, always pushing them outside of their comfort zone, physically, mentally and emotionally, and then helping them discover that, in fact, they can do better than they first believed they could.

The “GET COMFORTABLE BEING UNCOMFORTABLE principle.” That is, the only way to grow physically and emotionally is to constantly challenge yourself to do things that aren’t easy, to attempt things that truly stretch you.

You do not allow players to just get by with the status quo. You don't tolerate mediocrity in effort, attitude, technique, training or performance. There is nothing more motivating to a player than being challenged, experiencing themselves successfully rising to meet that test and as a result, improving.

When coaches fail to adequately challenge their players, when they instead allow them to remain stagnating within their comfort zone, they will ultimately end up losing them to boredom and apathy.
I am like you guys looking in from the outside but I do remember Scott Prince quoted less than a month ago and he said the he loved having Griffin as a coach because he challenged you personally with different things every week.

H

hidethesuspect

Banned User
Sep 2, 2013
That doesn't translate to on field though does it? Which of our guys do you see being challenged? I see no-one improving except Gillett and that's because his form took a nose dive, there's nowhere to go for him but up.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Hoffman has improved on last year, and Oates has only had improvement as an option when going to a new position. Josh Macquire has also definitely improved this year... Must admit that I'm struggling to find much improvement other than those guys. Parker has been brilliant too but that can't be attributed to the coaching IMHO.

Kahu has an improved ACL

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • HVbronco
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • mitch222
  • ivanhungryjak
  • thenry
  • barker
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.