RUMOR: Marmin Barba training with the first grade squad?

I just watched the highlights from the weekend game and bugger me if Marmin isn't one of the quickest blokes I've seen play the game. He reminds me of Denan Kemp when he first came on the scene - just low to the ground and with all sorts of speed to burn.

If we lose this weekend and our season is over put him on the wing and see how he goes.

If we lose this weekend and our season is over put him on the wing and see how he goes.

Yeah, just bring him on and tell him to roam. If he gets the ball in any sort of space, I doubt there's many people in the NRL who could match pace with him - maybe Gordon and Roberts, that's probably about it.

I just watched the highlights from the weekend game and bugger me if Marmin isn't one of the quickest blokes I've seen play the game. He reminds me of Denan Kemp when he first came on the scene - just low to the ground and with all sorts of speed to burn.

I used to play touch footy against Ben, Marmin and one of their cousins. They were just ridiculous.

MARMIN Barba has not reached the heights of his illustrious older brother but the speedy winger has become a key man in the Ipswich Jets' premiership quest.
Marmin, brother of Broncos five-eighth Ben Barba, has been in superb form in recent weeks and looms as a game breaker in the Jets' Intrust Super Cup clash with the PNG Hunters in Kokopo today.
Barba scored 24 points from two tries and eight goals in the 62-10 win over Mackay last week.
Co-coach Ben Walker said Barba's influence on the team's success had grown as the season has progressed.
"In the last five or six weeks, he has really started to show his class and speed," Walker said.
"We are freeing him up a little bit too. We are happy for him to show those attributes.
"Instead of being a fast robot, he is back to being a speedy footballer.
"Marmin has been playing predominantly on the wing but he can fill in anywhere.
"He is versatile but his obvious strength is his speed so any time we can get him some clear ball in space, it is game over."
Walker said he expected Barba to shine against a PNG side that has big, strong athletes across the park.
"He is handy against anyone, but the bigger they are, the more damaging he is," Walker said.
"They are a big side but certainly not the biggest we have played.
"It will be a big test.
"They play a style we really enjoy playing against. They defend the way we want them to.
"So our attack won't be an issue, I don't think.
Whether it is players coming back from the NRL, or being promoted from the Ipswich Rugby League, part of the key to getting them performing for the Jets is knowing what makes them tick.
It can be the difference between a good coach and a bad one, but seems to be one aspect of coaching the Walker brothers have an affinity for.
"It's crucial," Walker said.
"You can't operate unless you know your players. You can't ask someone to do something if you don't know them."
Jets replacement back Wes Conlon and five-eighth Josh Cleeland, both former Swifts A graders, are prime examples.
After starring for Swifts in the IRL grand final in 2010, Conlon joined Souths Logan.
He was handed limited opportunities at the Magpies but has flourished on his return to the Jets. "We understand Wes really well," Walker said.
"We know what works for him.
"The style we play works for him.
"He's a pretty laid-back sort of fella and an exceptional talent.
"He suits the way we play.
"Josh Cleeland is the same.
"We recognised him about five years ago because we knew he was a good fit."

Yeah, just bring him on and tell him to roam. If he gets the ball in any sort of space, I doubt there's many people in the NRL who could match pace with him - maybe Gordon and Roberts, that's probably about it.

He doesn't just roam for the Jets, he's playing his best football under this structure- no way an NRL side is going to do that. I think as a traditional winger you wouldn't see the best of him.

He doesn't just roam for the Jets, he's playing his best football under this structure- no way an NRL side is going to do that. I think as a traditional winger you wouldn't see the best of him.

I've seen players been given a roving commission, just give one to him to, problem solved.

I've seen players been given a roving commission, just give one to him to, problem solved.

That's not coaching that is hoping.

If you are to pick a winger on the bench you need a specific plan and how it would work. That's nothing like what has currently got him playing well.

Someone's gotta find a spot for the kid in first grade, regardless of how the Walker bros are using him, he's a try scoring machine.

Someone's gotta find a spot for the kid in first grade, regardless of how the Walker bros are using him, he's a try scoring machine.

Yes, at ISC level. So was Nat Barnes, Nick Parfitt and Aseri Laing but none if them were quite up to NRL either. I guess we could also argue that we would never know if we didn't try him, however I'm not so sure he is up to that level. Like [MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION] said, he is used very well in ISC. NRL is a whole new ball game.

Yes, at ISC level. So was Nat Barnes, Nick Parfitt and Aseri Laing but none if them were quite up to NRL either. I guess we could also argue that we would never know if we didn't try him, however I'm not so sure he is up to that level. Like @1910 said, he is used very well in ISC. NRL is a whole new ball game.

His speed won't be any less potent at the NRL level, and it sounds like he's a got a decent football brain as well, I wouldn't mind giving him a crack.

Put Marmin in the team somewhere! Just watch the highlights of the Jets v Dolphins and he killed it with blinding speed. He is like a better version of Jake Mamo.

He'll get his chance...in fact I'd say he's probably been getting and considering offers. Perhaps the only thing keeping him here is his brother and the hope that they'll play together some day. Next year will probably be his last in the lower division.

This was on NRL.com

The Jets have made two changes with Marmin Barba moving from the bench to fullback at the expense of Javarn White and Liam Capewell will come into the starting side for Joshua Seage with Rob Worsley added to the bench.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.