[RUMOUR] THREE significant signings in the pipeline

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

THE Broncos' much-needed recruitment drive appears set to reap the benefits of the NRL coaching merry-go-round, with two of the game's biggest talents seemingly theirs for the taking. In need of some size and strike, the Broncos have already secured 2012 Dally M Medal winner Ben Barba and Roosters giant Martin Kennedy. Now they are believed to have a further three "significant" additions in the pipeline.
Boom Raiders youngster Anthony Milford is one and his stand-off with Canberra officials looks to have been presented with an ace, courtesy of Ricky Stuart's appointment for next season.
Stuart, who was released from the rest of his contract at Parramatta, is hardly in a position to prevent a young player from doing the same. Stuart's departure has left a host of contracts in limbo, though talented Brisbane product Corey Norman is one player whose contract did not feature clauses linked to Stuart remaining at the Eels.

And while star recruit Will Hopoate's deal is not directly affected by Stuart's defection, last night Eels officials were facing the prospect of losing him.
Eels officials reluctantly confirmed Hopoate's contract included an "out clause", which could be executed by his management should Stephen Kearney no longer be at the helm.
Kearney was dumped late last season and was quickly offered a place on Brisbane's staff for this year.
While Hopoate's place in the Eels squad previously had not been under question, Eels officials told The Australian last night that "all bets were now off".

THREE? On top of Barba and Kennedy? That can't be right, surely. Unless our recruiters pulling their fingers out of their arses has popped open some type of cork of usefulness that they haven't known in years.

Possibilities include:

Daly Cherry-Evans
Cameron Smith
Anthony Milford
Possibly Will Hopoate?

Last edited:
Re: [RUMOR] THREE "Significant" signings in the pipeline - The Australian

the line "two of the games biggest talents" is intriguing.

I don't know if you could class Milford as one of the games biggest talents at this stage of his career.

DCE would have to be a strong possibility, Sportals Lurker has been mentioning the possibility for a few weeks.

on another note, who has a get out clause inserted into their contract for Kearney. unless he figured that the way the Eels had been going it was a sure thing that Kearney would be sacked and it would be an ideal way to change his mind

the line "two of the games biggest talents" is intriguing.

I don't know if you could class Milford as one of the games biggest talents at this stage of his career.

DCE would have to be a strong possibility, Sportals Lurker has been mentioning the possibility for a few weeks.

on another note, who has a get out clause inserted into their contract for Kearney. unless he figured that the way the Eels had been going it was a sure thing that Kearney would be sacked and it would be an ideal way to change his mind

Those two "biggest talents" are Milford and Hopoate. You can tell in the way the paragraph is structured.

If we do sign Hopoate then i do hope it is for no where near the reported 800k the Eels were paying for him

FoxSports has been reporting that Hopoate will honour his Parra deal regardless of who is coach ??

I guess the board finally had enough and are throwing their vast cheque book at some future quality.

About fucking time.

Wow........this is getting crazy, surely we would have to lose somebody to fit Hopoate in? Maybe Hodgo is taking a pay cut.

Could be a big off season.........or then again all just bullcrap.

Lets all hope it's DCE, that would be beautiful!!

are there three stars unsigned?

This all sounds like a bit of fluff. I wouldn't go getting my hopes up about anything just yet.

I concur

So if we sign DCE and Milford, would Griffin use lube when he ***** over Hunt again?

Hahahaaha, probably not. He'd go in dry and cause internal bleeding.

Out of Barba/DCE/Milford I only want 2 of the 3. Sorry Milford you can stay in Canberra ;)

At this stage I would take all three, as there is no guarantee with what will happen with barba, so we may need milf to play fullback

The best part of that article was that Norman does not have a get out clause should Stuart not be the coach.

Would we assume that, because it states that the coaching scenario is what's creating the opportunity, that the third player also comes from the clubs in question? Because that includes the Cowboys.

So we go from needing one or two stars to help the team to just buying a new spine?

1. Barba
6. Milford
7. DCE

We don't need to buy a spine just a couple of players to complete it, I don't want to become the Brisbane City Roosters. We have Hunt who will kick on and a few halves starting to mature in QCUP and U20s.

1. Barba
6. Hunt
7. DCE

That will do me fine and if Hunt doesn't eventuate after being given a full season we blood one of the young guys alongside DCE.

Active Now

• cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.