Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think hook will be safe for this season regardless of the result but if things don't improve next year questions will need toyear be asked.

Totally disagree, if they don't fare better than last years result, then his ass will definitely be grass. Would love to see Hook succeed as he is such a nice guy but he is totally out of his element and things aren't going to end well for him.

The players could be so much better- If their roles in the team were more specific, intelligent and thought through, we would be very competitive. We play such a brain dead and old fashioned game, it is embarrassing.
Players won't want to come here because they know they will learn nothing and regress.
Any talk of Bennett returning would bring more of the same. The game has moved beyond this approach of basic, no frills plays.
As I have suggested before, the Broncos organization is so incredibly out of touch it is cringeworthy.
Defeats or poor results would be so much more acceptable if there was something to believe in- unfortunately, there isn't.
Griffin and Gee need to go now- this is not the way forward and no amount of false hope will change that.
As fans of a magnificent club, we all deserve much better than these embarrassments.

for clarification, the reality is that our most dangerous attacking play is when Hodges makes a dash from dummy half.
What forward could we possibly expect to attract when the sum total of our ruck plays is a one out hit up where the receiver gets monstered by three opponents who know exactly who is going too get the ball?
Bennett is doing the same at Newcastle and the natives are very restless.
There is no entertainment or hope of success with this dumbness.

Since Lockyer has gone, the team, coaching etc. have definitely declined. We are not getting better but worse. I really don't think we are going to see a turn around, Griffin doesn't have it in him.

No, since Bennett left we have gone backwards. We were more successful before WB left. We changed coaches for improved results, obviously. We would not have done it for worse results but that is what we got. Griffin and co have had the reins for years and we have regressed with blame being squarely placed on them. It is not due to some legacy from Bennett either. Whether we change now or at seasons end a new coach may not make much difference . The players are trying but maybe we just don't have enough talent. The desire seems genuine. Perhaps hard work will see things turnaround. We also need a bit of luck as we are not getting the bounce of the ball.

We were only successful because of Lockyer to be honest. We started having problems before WB had left. But having Locky made up for those coaching mistakes. The true decline happened when Locky left and we had no backup plan.

Again with the whole, "we're in the market for a star" ...proof is in the pudding Griffin, you can continue to masquerade behind the "we won't make details public" charade, but ultimately you will be judged on what you deliver. Currently, you are sitting on zero and you don't have many credits in the bank as you haven't done anything since you arrived; time's ticking.

And if Brisbane don't make the finals this year, I see no reason why Griffin should remain coach. All it would do is reward mediocrity and reinforce the "it's ok to fail" mentality. It isn't.

As RBY posted, it seems that the style of play/coaching introduced by WB has largely remained unchanged since those days, and any coach who has come up through the Broncos club ranks has been influenced by that - and the proof of that pudding is in the style of play the Broncos have used since the Bennett days.

An entirely fresh approach needs to be taken, one where the old fashioned game was ditched, and we looked at some of the successful, more adventurous plays used by the best teams. In fact we have done it - infrequently and inconsistently:

1. left side - some terrific tries scored there
2. right side - Prince > Gillett > Hodges > Kahu or whoever is there
3. edge plays - dummy half > Prince or Wallace + decoys = hole > Gillett or Glenn
4. up the middle - dummy half > prop who passes/offloads and doesn't just die with the ball

The crucial thing is support play (and also, defensive line speed).

Otherwise, class players won't want to come here because they know they will learn nothing. I think T'eo said something to that effect when he went to Souths

Last edited:
This thread will reach 500 pages or Griffin is sacked, wonder which will come first?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Griffin one of the major people involved in turning both McCullough and Hunt into "hookers"? He was McCullough's coach in his first year of NYC, and was the assistant coach during the year Hunt became a hooker too, and persisted with him there for about 2.5 years now. I just don't have a lot of FaithInHook.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Griffin one of the major people involved in turning both McCullough and Hunt into "hookers"? He was McCullough's coach in his first year of NYC, and was the assistant coach during the year Hunt became a hooker too, and persisted with him there for about 2.5 years now. I just don't have a lot of FaithInHook.

If he was, and did that, then that says a lot, especially coaching talent out of players

Heard 2nd hand that they had a big discussion on the Broncos on the Sterlo show last night. Basically implied Griffin had loyalty to his 2008 Under 20 players and they're basically not up to it, but he's too blind or too loyal to see it. Fair point.

Hunt in particular has been an absolute let down. And yes, I do still think his development path has been largely responsible for that, but you've got to call a spade a spade. He's underperforming and has done since he came into grade.

When is Andrew Gee going to get some of the blame for the poor playing roster?

Is he not in charge of recruitment?

The Clubs' depth is about 2" !!!!!!

When is Andrew Gee going to get some of the blame for the poor playing roster?

Is he not in charge of recruitment?

The Clubs' depth is about 2" !!!!!!

I don't want to disagree that Gee be held responsible for our poor recruitment, but just a thought, maybe he has done exactly what Griffin has asked of him???

I don't want to disagree that Gee be held responsible for our poor recruitment, but just a thought, maybe he has done exactly what Griffin has asked of him???
I am going to disagree with this comment only because I think it is more likely Gee would over rule Griffin. I am not sure that Gee could be most of the problem

I blame Henjak. If we had Inglis we'd still be sweet.

edit: the first part isn't serious, the second is.

I am going to disagree with this comment only because I think it is more likely Gee would over rule Griffin. I am not sure that Gee could be most of the problem

My comment was simply a question, you are more than welcome to disagree. Just a thought that if Gee has done exactly what hook has asked of him in regard to the current squad, the finger may need to be pointed at hook instead. We hear all the time that coaches need time to assemble the squad they want, so I think it's safe to say hook has been afforded the same privileges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Battler
  • Clintos
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Kev_Guz
  • FACTHUNT
  • mitch222
  • Spooky1013
  • broncoscope
  • Ozired
  • Locky24
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.