Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Defence is attitude and work ethic more than anything, and that is clearly what is hurting us most. The team is very fragile mentally, and will drop their collective heads at any let down, error or wrong bounce of the ball.

You can argue all you like about creativity and using the whole field or just the last 20 mtrs to attack, without the proper attitude, you won't see guys supporting second phase, you won't see forwards run in pairs, etc... you'll get the one outs everyone is seeing because "someone has to cart the ball", not because they actually want to!

They need a rocket. Hook has to stop being the nice guy and stay loyal to those than aren't performing. He also needs to get his captain to do more talking and get up the players that are being lazy and slacking of their duties. If Thaiday isn't up to the task, give it to someone who is, be it Parker, Glenn or even Wallace (even if he's not the flashiest player around), who are definitely the guys who not only lead by example, but will also get in the other players' faces and tell them to pull their finger out.

I don't care if you miss a tackle while you were making the effort, but I cannot accept Thaiday's tackle on the last Raiders try for example!

Before we even start thinking about game plans and expansive brand of footy, we need to get those players putting in 100% for the 80 mins!

This is too true. Everytime I watch them play I just think this team is way too comfortable. I think they no that there are no real alternatives at the club to take their place so why would they bother changing their attitude.

I honestly feel most of their mindset is rock up, go through the motions, act disappointed, repeat.

There are a few players that have a fantastic attitude like Hoffman, but there are far too few...

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Our tackling hasn't been good in a long time. I believe we average pretty highly in misses and offloads conceded for at least the past 6 or 7 years. We usually made up for it by desperation, attitude and some great cover defence, but lately with all of that missing, the poor tackling is just getting exposed. I think we need to hire Tunza, or maybe Steve Austin or something.

Steve Renouf

Steve Renouf

NYC Player
Aug 31, 2012
I think Hook sits back with a bit of straw in his mouth at training and mumbles every now and then things that are barely understandable, not sure if he wears a 10 gallon hat whilst doing that.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I think Hook sits back with a bit of straw in his mouth at training and mumbles every now and then things that are barely understandable, not sure if he wears a 10 gallon hat whilst doing that.

He does wear a gallon hat actually. White told him he wanted him to be innovative and do something no other coach is doing... Voila!

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
A true professional gives his (or her) all, always. For your team mates, your fans, your club, state or country.

Simple as that.

If it requires rocket science to bring this out, then players and coach who don't give their all every game need to piss off.

Simple as that

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
A true professional gives his (or her) all, always. For your team mates, your fans, your club, state or country.

Simple as that.

If it requires rocket science to bring this out, then players and coach who don't give their all every game need to piss off.

Simple as that

Absolutely this. They all talk about pride in the jersey, about winning back pride for the fans, for the legends who've worn the jersey before them...and keep dishing up shit.

The time for talk is over, boys. Time to talk with your on-field actions. Just fucking WIN. FMD, it ain't that hard, even with the cattle we've got.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
As it stands we are 2pts off the spoon and 6pts off the Top 8, and this is halfway through the season.

Griffin does not deserve more time or patience.

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
As it stands we are 2pts off the spoon and 6pts off the Top 8, and this is halfway through the season.

Griffin does not deserve more time or patience.

Finally someone who is talking some sense, in fact, if they lose on Mon., he simply has to go. They have won 11 of their last 30 outings, a NFL or NHL coach would have been long ago. Get someone in there who has some new ideas, someone to shake things up a bit, it may be the tonic to finally get their season on track. I have been saying for 2 years that Hook doesn't have what it takes to be a top grade coach(let alone a Broncos coach), I wouldn't want him coaching my kid so why is he still around? He should be gone but sadly he isn't going anywhere till possibly the off season.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Problem is that coaches who come in part way through a season never seem to last.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Yeah our team lacks an enforcer. Someone who genuinely can smash the opposition in defence. God I miss tunza and Tallis

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
uwialh.jpg

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
So apparently John Ackland is finishing up this year. Anyone know what the story is behind that? I think he'd be just the right kind of coach we should to bring him.

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
What's wrong with Kevin Walters? He's currently assistant to the best coach in the game, and it was obvious after Tim Sheens got sacked that he only just missed out on the head coach role at the Wests Tigers. He wants to be a coach, and where better for him to go than the club he won several premierships with? A lot of 'experts' say that the Storm's performances have a lot to do with Kevvie. Anyone agree?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
What's wrong with Kevin Walters? He's currently assistant to the best coach in the game, and it was obvious after Tim Sheens got sacked that he only just missed out on the head coach role at the Wests Tigers. He wants to be a coach, and where better for him to go than the club he won several premierships with? A lot of 'experts' say that the Storm's performances have a lot to do with Kevvie. Anyone agree?

I agree. Won't happen tho, whitey loves griffo

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I'll hop on the Kevvie bandwagon. He's one of the old guard who KNOWS what it means to wear that Broncos jersey. That's what we need with the club right now. He's plying his trade with the best in the business - grab the bloke, please. He'll kill it up here with our young blokes.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Not sure what Kevvie would be like as a coach but didn't WB sack him here when the club was playing like they are now

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
It's not about what we say now, it's about what we do (tonight)," said Griffin, who is contracted until the end of 2015."There is always heat on any coach and everyone goes through it.
"Most of the expectation and the speculation comes from (the media). You have a job to write that stuff so I won't get in your way.

"I haven't done anything different from a month ago when we were winning and the players haven't all of a sudden become bums either.
"We're a little bit out of form. Obviously we haven't been playing to our best and we will be doing our best to get back to that against the Tigers."
A little out of form? does this guy even watch the games or does he just sleep with his eyes open in the coaches box?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
We're going to nit-pick semantics now?

There was a lot wrong with that quote. It's riddled with bad coaching cliches and is borderline delusional considering the side hasn't really received any positive press for 12 months.

I'm sure the question was framed in a way to get that sort of response but what I'd like to see from my coach is go on the front foot and say 'yep, our form has been unacceptable and we're devising a strategy that will address our problems."

It might be a PR nightmare but some of the most celebrated minds in the universe were those that defied convention.

Sadly, I don't think Hook has it in him.

Neither does Kevvie, he took a 3rd place Catalans side that was bolstered by the likes of Bird, Ryles etc. and turned them into wooden spooners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • Bish
  • Allo
  • Skyblues87
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.