Sack Griffin/New Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, and that's something Kevvie and Kearney have in common. Ass coach of the Storm looks great on your CV but doesn't mean you can coach.
The big three are making a lot of ppl look better than they are.

If Griffin can't coach and motivate a top tier team full of Origin stars to play to their ability and loses, again, to a woeful opposition like the Tigers then he should stand down or make wholesale changes to the team building for 2014/2015.

I'm a Griffin sympathiser but there is something systemically wrong at the Broncos at the moment.

The way we lose through the player's lack of confidence in themselves, their team mates and their own abilities and most alarmingly, the complete lack of resilience when the chips are down, is devastating as a fan. In other words, show some fucking heart Broncos.

Building player confidence and resilience IS ENTIRELY ANTHONY GRIFFIN'S RESPONSIBILITY.

Hook prattles on about attitude, players being keen etc but he misses the point completely- he seems unable to understand that we are off the pace in the construction of our game.
Seriously the guy has to go- and please don't replace him with another out of touch local. Given a smart, intelligent and creative coach, we could be extremely competitive with our roster. Our players need our sympathy- imagine the time, effort and life commitment they put into their careers only to put up with the banal leadership and instruction Hook provides. he has not improved a single player and it was only a short time ago we were looking forward to the future with our new boom youngsters.
A loss tonight puts us on the bottom and, quite frankly, that's probably where we should be.

- The point Subsligh makes is a good one and highlights the main missing ingredient- the lack of resilience comes about through lack of understanding of construction, it has little to do with effort. The fact we resemble a leaderless rabble when the chips are down highlights the lack of knowledge of the team structure. Compare that to Melbourne who, in the same situation, have a complete belief in their patterns and structure and this usually gets them through.
As I say, Hook has to go because his team is incredibly poorly coached- he believes effort and attitude is enough.
He is embarrassingly completely wrong.

I have no doubt that, with the ability of the roster we have, we could be a top-four team. We saw that in 2011 and the first half of 2012. The problem is that we never have a game in which every player manages to click together, and consequently, the team never puts in an 80-minute performance.

With a dull, flat attack and an increasingly-slow defence, I believe a change in the coaching department is warranted, but we have to get THE RIGHT COACH!

- The point Subsligh makes is a good one and highlights the main missing ingredient- the lack of resilience comes about through lack of understanding of construction, it has little to do with effort. The fact we resemble a leaderless rabble when the chips are down highlights the lack of knowledge of the team structure. Compare that to Melbourne who, in the same situation, have a complete belief in their patterns and structure and this usually gets them through.
As I say, Hook has to go because his team is incredibly poorly coached- he believes effort and attitude is enough.
He is embarrassingly completely wrong.

While this is spot on, as is Subsligh's point, there are a further 2 crucial missing ingredients:

One, while Melbourne do have well drilled, well coached patterns and structures to fall back on, they also have at least 3 leaders and organizers on field at any one time: Smith, Cronk and Slater to make sure it does AND to create something out of the ordinary when it's needed to inspire the team (and fans).

We have zip
in both departments.

It's one thing to have structures to fall back on - what I call 2nd nature coaching: you know what to do and when to do it, but that is not enough in itself - you need on field leadership.

Two, as a number of us post, we have shown we can attack with the best of them - there is in fact structure and construction of effective plays, but without that leadership, it becomes ad hoc, inconsistent or non-existent, and of course when the chips are down, it all falls apart.

And where this is most telling is our defence: there is no structure, organizing, composure, and it becomes a matter of every man for themselves. Hardly a team effort, attitude or approach, is it? It's not just a coaching matter, it's on field as much as off field.

Isn't it, Broncos coaching staff and club management (and FaithinHook).

Last edited:
I watched the end of the Melbourne game yesterday afternoon. Great game of footy.

Match winner was scored off a simple play executed superbly by Ryan Hoffman and Billy Slater.

But you can't tell me that neither Thaiday nor Parker could have executed that play as good, if not better, than Hoffman?

While this is spot on, as is Subsligh's point, there are a further 2 crucial missing ingredients:

One, while Melbourne do have well drilled, well coached patterns and structures to fall back on, they also have at least 3 leaders and organizers on field at any one time: Smith, Cronk and Slater to make sure it does AND to create something out of the ordinary when it's needed to inspire the team (and fans).

We have zip
in both departments.

It's one thing to have structures to fall back on - what I call 2nd nature coaching: you know what to do and when to do it, but that is not enough in itself - you need on field leadership.

This is desperately true.

At various times when we have been getting our asses handed to us over the past 30 weeks, no one steps outside the basic game plan because they have no strategies to play out of the hole or are waiting for someone else to do it or too afraid to try something themselves.

I think the pressure from the media on the club will be huge if we lose this one. I like Hook but gee he needs to get more out of this team.

The Melbourne/Newcastle game was great, both teams showed urgency, fast play the balls, a defensive line that moved up as one and quickly, good kick chase and plenty of men moving off the ball when in attack.......pretty much everything the Broncs aren't doing.

Totally spewing at our slow defensive line and kick chase efforts this year.

This is desperately true.

At various times when we have been getting our asses handed to us over the past 30 weeks, no one steps outside the basic game plan because they have no strategies to play out of the hole or are waiting for someone else to do it or too afraid to try something themselves.

... and no one has the ability to do it, off or on the field

I think the pressure from the media on the club will be huge if we lose this one. I like Hook but gee he needs to get more out of this team.

Beads, stop using that word. Ewww

Are you going to persist with a McCullough/Hunt hooker combo?
No.
Hired.

Are you going to try to add another dimension to our game by having forwards pass before the line?
Yes.
Hired.

Are you going to have a plan for the future while still concentrating on the now?
Yes.
Hired.

Are you going to persist with a McCullough/Hunt hooker combo?
No.
Hired.

Are you going to try to add another dimension to our game by having forwards pass before the line?
Yes.
Hired.

Are you going to have a plan for the future while still concentrating on the now?
Yes.
Hired.

Well, one out 3.

Has this been mentioned yet?
Mal Meninga is being considered to take on the job of coaching the Broncos in 2014. The most successful coach in State of Origin history is also on the radar of the Cowboys. It's no secret both Neil Henry and Anthony Griffin are under enormous severe pressure. Meninga struggled as head coach of the Raiders a few years back but has grown in maturity since and his Origin record speaks for itself.
"If I'm going to do something, the time has to be now," Meninga said recently of his coaching ambitions. I have been told a high-ranking Broncos official sounded Meninga out a fortnight ago on the quiet. His name was also raised at a recent Cowboys board meeting while Henry's future was being discussed. Henry has bought himself some time with his team's fine win in Wollongong the other night but he is still in the danger zone. While not acknowledged as a master tactician, Meninga is a god-like figure in Queensland who commands enormous respect from his players. His standing as Maroons Origin coach would also be a massive bargaining chip for any club he may join in the player market. Surrounded by a competent backroom team similar to what he enjoys in Origin, Meninga could be a success at either the Broncos or Cowboys.
The Lurker - NRL Rumour File - Tuesday - League - Sportal Australia

I like Mal but not sure he is what we need. He only needs to win 2 games a year and he does it with the best spine in the history of the world.

There is one man I think we need and his name is John Ackland.

I don't know that I'd want Meninga to coach us, does he even have any credible club coaching experience?

I wouldn't mind him in some capacity at the club, if only to attract SOO players but not sure I'd want him as head coach.

Big mistake IMO. Mal is not the person we need.

Whilst I have been completely underwhelmed by Griffins tactics it is something he can change and he seems to have a united dressing room even with our extended form slump. Let's see what the rest of this season brings in the way of a fresh approach and any signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Strop
  • heartly87
  • Bucking Beads
  • HVbronco
  • TimWhatley
  • The Strapper
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fozz
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • phoenix
  • Mustafur
  • Financeguy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.