Sam Kasiano Incident

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
In the 75th minute, Bulldogs prop Sam Kasiano lashed out with his boot and struck Brisbane skipper Corey Parker flush in the face. The incident left Parker with a nasty cut on his face that required stitches as well as a bloody mouth. Surprisingly, the Bulldogs behemoth was not placed on report but the incident created a huge stir both during and after the game.

A couple of questions...

1. Was it accidental?
2. Did the referees make the right call? Should Kasiano remained on the field?
3. Will he be charged by the MRC?

1 Not a chance it was on accident

2 I'm ok with no penalty as we got to see our guys smash the Dogs for the next set.

3 Should be but won't be suprised when he isn't

No, it wasn't accidental.

The movement of the leg, you don't do that if you're trying to get up. You do that when you're striking out. He knew Parker was there, he still had a hold of him and Kasiano lashed out.

I do genuinely think he is sorry. I think it was just one of those heat of the moment incidents.

Kasiano should have been sent. There was a time that was a send off offense.

He will be charged. But I have a feeling he'll just get a Grade One.

I don't think he intended to hit anyone in the face. I've never seen him as that type of player, and his apologies looked genuine. Would he have known there was a player there, absolutely, should he have kicked his leg out? Absolutely not. Will the NRL sit him out? If they do, it will be for a week or some piss poor amount of time, or nothing at all.

How was there no penalty?

How was there no penalty?

That's a good question.

In situations where the referee miss an act of foul play, the bunker can review the incident and recommend a suitable punishment. The only limitation is that play cannot extend beyond the first play-the-ball of the next set. When play was stopped, it was after Josh Jackson blocked an attempted grubber for the sideline. In other words, tackle one of the next set.

Just watched the game on Fox again. Kasiano reminds me of the big fat kid at school who ran through everyone two or three times a game but by and large just lacks real heart.
The evidence of that was what he did after "the kick". He did nothing to help his team out. How appropriate that he's a dog. The paper ran a story how he was one that got away from the Broncs. Guess what, we don't want a peaheart.

He absolutely knew someone was there and the kick was intentional but I don't think he was aiming for the head.

Regarding the no penalty, isn't it at least accidental contact with the head? Therefore penalty...

The Brisbane Broncos are seething after a stray boot from Bulldogs forward Sam Kasiano left their captain Corey Parker on the ground bloodied and bruised.

The ugly incident occurred three minutes from full-time when Kasiano appeared to lash out with his boot – striking Parker in the face.

Parker was left with several stitches, and because of that he was unable to take his place in the post-match press conference, with teammate Sam Thaiday appearing instead.

Despite the incident, he and his side had the last laugh as they ran out 20-10 winners over Canterbury-Bankstown on Thursday night – keeping their top four hopes alive in the process.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett spoke post-match about the incident – questioning the actions of Kasiano.

"Corey's had to get stitches on his face so if Kasiano didn't do it with force then I think he wouldn't be needing stitches on his face," Bennett said.

"I'll leave it to the Match Review Committee to make their judgement on the incident.

"They'll need to determine if it was intentional or accidental, but it's a bit hard for me to think it's accidental when the tackle had been made and Parker was moving off him, and then Kasiano's feet lashed at him in a different direction
"Corey's not happy. He has stitches in his chin and his lip."

Parker was not the only one angry at the actions of Kasiano, with the whole Brisbane team firing up after the incident had taken place.

The Bulldogs next set of six with the ball was met by a rushing Broncos defensive line that hit harder than they had throughout the previous 77 minutes of football.

Brisbane stuck up for their teammate the only way they knew how, and Thaiday said that his side wanted to make a statement after the incident had taken place.

"There were a few occasions out there where we really had to lift as a team, but those last few minutes after the incident really fired us up," Thaiday said.

"It sparked us up as a team. If you watch the next defensive set we were right up in their face.

"We as players have no control over the decisions that the referees make. It's in the hands of the judiciary now and they can make a decision they see fit.

"We need to find whatever that feeling is that got us up for those last few minutes and bring it at the start of the game.

"If we do that then we won't have to have these tough wins because we'll be putting teams away in the 60th minute and not the 75th."

The Broncos will now face the top of the table Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park in a game that will be vital for Brisbane's top four aspirations.

Parker is expected to be fit to play in the Round 25 clash, and the veteran Bronco will be needed if Brisbane are to defeat a Melbourne side that ran out 42-point winners in the previous meeting between these two sides in Round 17.

The 34-year-old played down concerns about his health after Thursday's win, and he remained tight-lipped about his run-in with Kasiano.

"It's a game of footy. Those sorts of things happen," Parker said.

"He said to me after the game that he was sorry. I'll leave it up to you to have an opinion on the incident."

Broncos seething at Kasiano - NRL.com

Last edited:
He absolutely knew someone was there and the kick was intentional but I don't think he was aiming for the head.

Regarding the no penalty, isn't it at least accidental contact with the head? Therefore penalty...

Yeah, I reckon this too... Completely reckless in the way he struck out but I dont think he meant to kick him in the face. Needs to be sat out for a couple of weeks though, you dont lash out like that without some sought of intention.

Since the ref "missed" it there was no way he could give a penalty as the play had gone on to long.

But once the bunker reviewed the incident how was it not put on report. Not that we would have used it, but putting Kasiano on report would have given us a free interchange and we were robbed of that option

Personally, i don't think it was accidental as he appeared to look back at Parker before the kick. Maybe he didn't mean to kick him in the face. But he did mean to kick Parker.

I also think it should have been a send off.

I have zero faith in the MRC and judiciary to do the right thing.

Just watched the game on Fox again. Kasiano reminds me of the big fat kid at school who ran through everyone two or three times a game but by and large just lacks real heart.
The evidence of that was what he did after "the kick". He did nothing to help his team out. How appropriate that he's a dog. The paper ran a story how he was one that got away from the Broncs. Guess what, we don't want a peaheart.

They wrote the same thing about Mbye..

Yeah, I'm real torn up we didn't get him..

Since the ref "missed" it there was no way he could give a penalty as the play had gone on to long.

You know what I find ridiculous?

You could hear Sutton say once the trainer puts the hand up, he has to stop the play..

The trainer was signalling for play to stop since the incident happened and I find it hard to believe none of the officials saw the trainer doing that.

We have a bunker. We have two touch judges and two refs and none of them saw it? Bullshit.

Last edited:
He knew what he was doing no doubt, he had a quick look down before lashing out.

In his defense though, the game was getting very spiteful late in that second half.... a lot of niggle between the two sides, and Fatiano was dirty that he dropped that ball.

Still, no excuse for lashing out and i fully expect him to miss a few games as a result.

No, it wasn't accidental.

The movement of the leg, you don't do that if you're trying to get up. You do that when you're striking out. He knew Parker was there, he still had a hold of him and Kasiano lashed out.

I do genuinely think he is sorry. I think it was just one of those heat of the moment incidents.

Kasiano should have been sent. There was a time that was a send off offense.

He will be charged. But I have a feeling he'll just get a Grade One.

I'd expect something like that from Reynolds or a fired up Graham not from Kasiano. The Bulldogs get away with too much and there coach and fans revel in it. One day one of these idiots is going to seriously injure someone (more than a scar).

The response from our team was brilliant. The dogs forward pack is always dangerous but they looked like pussycats in that last 5 minutes.

Deliberate, and I don't think he's sorry at all. His voice pitch changed to high when he confronted Corey, typically voice pitch lowers with remorse.

Sam could have put his foot on the ground and pushed out, but he choose the dirty way out like the rest of the team did when the game was gone.

I'm also sure I saw a kick by Hopa when Sammy T scored aswell. Oh, and it Blair got done with shoulder, why not Eastwood I think on his first tackle.

Last edited:

You could hear Sutton say once the trainer puts the hand up, he has to stop the play..

The trainer was signalling for play to stop since the incident happened and I find it hard to believe none of the officials saw the trainer doing that.

We have a bunker. We have two touch judges and two refs and none of them saw it? Bullshit.
Yep, that baffled me too. Sure, if it's the defending team, they may be foxing to get their team a rest and it's OK to wait out the six but if an attacking team wants to stop the play, it's pretty obvious that it's for a reason.

r80068_230642.jpg

6 weeks iirc? Or 9?

You can't expect NRL referees to see what 500k other people saw. That would be too much to ask.

Active Now

• broncs30
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • DMZ
  • Broncorob
  • Galah
  • Midean
  • Dazza 92
  • Brotherdu
  • Gray
  • Battler
  • Spooky1013
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Redux
  • ezpz
  • Allo
  • Rookie Alan
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
... and 45 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.