Sam Kasiano

Thats fair enough but the thing i dont understand is why playing state of origin has to be linked with playing for australia

Yep, and nobody has satisfactorily answered that yet. It comes down to xenophobia, pure and simple. A misguided belief that unless you want to play for Australia you can't possibly want to play for Queensland/New South Wales.

i don't for 1 second think people's desire to play Origin is about the money. I think it's about a) being the best football in the world and b) people who have been brought up here get into the passion of it.

Let's just make it an all star game and **** the concept altogether

Yep, and nobody has satisfactorily answered that yet. It comes down to xenophobia, pure and simple. A misguided belief that unless you want to play for Australia you can't possibly want to play for Queensland/New South Wales.

Its not about xenophobia. Its about QLD VS NSW ffs!!! How pure and simple can we say this. If you aren't "Australian", how can you be a "Queenslander". If you feel passionate about living in QLD, which is part of Australia, then why wouldnt u feel like you are an aussie? I really dont get how this is hard to understand.

Its not about xenophobia. Its about QLD VS NSW ffs!!! How pure and simple can we say this. If you aren't "Australian", how can you be a "Queenslander". If you feel passionate about living in QLD, which is part of Australia, then why wouldnt u feel like you are an aussie? I really dont get how this is hard to understand.

Agree 1000%.

FYI... Porthoz isn't Dutch, he's Portuguese. :shady:

There needs to be a bigger incentive to play for NZ. More money, more games, their own north vs south game...whatever. It needs to have greater or equal to rewards compared to playing for Australia. That way you'll have players who want to play Origin and for Australia playing that, and players who want to play for NZ playing that. It'll help the international competition improve too. As it stands, there aren't really any perks in playing for NZ at the moment.

This.

Well for me, origin is about where you're from whereas internationals are about who you are. Take myself as an example, i was born in QLD and lived here all my life but I identify myself as a fijian even though im half australian

Easily. Again, go and ask just about anybody who was brought up in QLD but born overseas. They'll still have a strong connection to their home country but a very strong connection to being a QLDER too.

Jack Reed for example.

You can be a QLDER and not be an Australian. Fact. It's xenophobia because you can't see that.

Coxy your are being zealous in pushing your POV and that's great passion (#lulzNSW) but don't belittle the debate by saying things like "nobody has given you a reason" simply because the other POV posted are not in agreeance. IMO, they are legitimate reasons, in your opinion they aren't.

Benji Marshall is a perfect example. He has done the time and could (maybe has for all I know) apply for citizenship and rep. QLD, however he chose to rep NZ because that means more to him. He doesn't identify as an Australian and therefore can't identify as a QLDer.

Does Libby Trickett represent QLD or Australia at the Olympics? SoO, Tests, Commonwealth Games, Olympics...these are NOT Sheffield Shield, T20, club sport, etc. When a sporting fixture is representative it has guidelines. You can't represent SEQLD Poinsettias and play for Toowoomba Brothers...Why not they're just kids? Because there's rules to representative eligibility.

If we went down the path of allowing players who are not Australian play origin, SoO will become like either the NRL All Stars game or more likely, the NFL/NBA East vs. West All-Star games, which is crap, players don't allow themselves to be available, key positions sub out at halftime and is just a douchefest because no player cares.

Portect the spectacle, don't weaken it for the lowest common denominator!

Coxy your are being zealous in pushing your POV and that's great passion (#lulzNSW) but don't belittle the debate by saying things like "nobody has given you a reason" simply because the other POV posted are not in agreeance. IMO, they are legitimate reasons, in your opinion they aren't.

Benji Marshall is a perfect example. He has done the time and could (maybe has for all I know) apply for citizenship and rep. QLD, however he chose to rep NZ because that means more to him. He doesn't identify as an Australian and therefore can't identify as a QLDer.

Does Libby Trickett represent QLD or Australia at the Olympics? SoO, Tests, Commonwealth Games, Olympics...these are NOT Sheffield Shield, T20, club sport, etc. When a sporting fixture is representative it has guidelines. You can't represent SEQLD Poinsettias and play for Toowoomba Brothers...Why not they're just kids? Because there's rules to representative eligibility.

If we went down the path of allowing players who are not Australian play origin, SoO will become like either the NRL All Stars game or more likely, the NFL/NBA East vs. West All-Star games, which is crap, players don't allow themselves to be available, key positions sub out at halftime and is just a douchefest because no player cares.

Amen!!!

Yeah, well said. Has this happened before? With internationals I mean (before Uate and Tamou?) - if not it really seems that NSW has started this whole dilemma in their own desperation.

Must admit, it would feel weird watching a player play SOO then watch them rep another country. I think they should leave SOO alone with this whole thing and focus on some other type of comp to compensate for those players yearning for that top level game (like the all stars game), but then I guess it would put even more pressure on players bodies so would have to be outside the normal NRL schedule.

Perfect. I want to add something but Im brainfarting and you've summed it up beautifully.

I understand the line of thought that if someone doesn't primarily identify as an Australian, the same applies for Queensland, as I understand that people fear the concept would turn into an All-stars series, but both of them are wrong imo.
Representing Australia and representing Queensland are two different things. State of Origin has NEVER been about who was born where, but about where you grew and developped as a football player. It is that rule of eligibility that counts, because that is exactly what Origin is all about, where your football Origins are, not your birth.

if some people on here got their way the origin series would just become 2 captains each taking turns to pick another 16 players for their teams without any respect for where theyre from. that would be the day i stop giving a $hit about origin, as its not what the concept was started for.

it started because QLDers were sick of getting beaten by QLDers who were playing for NSW. it allowed them to play for QLD. it wasnt made so Kiwis can come over here at 13 years of age, have $ waved in front of their faces, and then choose to play origin for that reason alone.

something really needs to be done, and it needs to be done before we get another tamou.

It needed to be done before we got another inglis. he is proof positive you don't have to be born or raised in Queensland to identify and represent as a Queenslander.

He should be a blue. Marshall has more Queenslander in him than inglis.

If you accept inglis as a Queenslander then you can't reject uate or tamou as blues.

The origin concept you all seem so afraid of damaging died when inglis was allowed to be a Queenslander

It needed to be done before we got another inglis. he is proof positive you don't have to be born or raised in Queensland to identify and represent as a Queenslander.

He should be a blue. Marshall has more Queenslander in him than inglis.

If you accept inglis as a Queenslander then you can't reject uate or tamou as blues.

The origin concept you all seem so afraid of damaging died when inglis was allowed to be a Queenslander
No, it died well before that, when Sterlo and other players born and bred in Qld, were selected for NSW. But I guess it's okay, as they were born in Australia after all... :rolleyes:

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.