Sam Kasiano

No, it died well before that, when Sterlo and other players born and bred in Qld, were selected for NSW. But I guess it's okay, as they were born in Australia after all... :rolleyes:

Was Sterlo really bred in QLD??

Yeah, Sterlo was merely born here, he grew up in Wagga.

It goes back to Steve Rogers who was born in NSW but grew up in Queensland and played his senior footy on the Coast.

That seems to be forgotten & Rogers is a freakin' legend.

Also I believe there's a difference between say a guy like GI who made his mind up when he was 16 and Sam Kasiano who's teasing the media on twitter and is playing the QRL & NZRL against each other.

Last edited:
I understand the line of thought that if someone doesn't primarily identify as an Australian, the same applies for Queensland, as I understand that people fear the concept would turn into an All-stars series, but both of them are wrong imo.
Representing Australia and representing Queensland are two different things. State of Origin has NEVER been about who was born where, but about where you grew and developped as a football player. It is that rule of eligibility that counts, because that is exactly what Origin is all about, where your football Origins are, not your birth.

This. It's about what Origin means.

So many arguments start, so many possibilities are raised, so many hairs split, and real or apparent contradictions arise, and systems get rorted (for some at least) when one introduces "choice" into the equation. It should be as black and white (no pun intended) as possible.

As Porthoz says, and I agree: where you grew and developed as a football player is the Origin issue. Ethnicity is irrelevant.

Accordingly, if Benji Marshall qualifies for Qld under the above "eligibility rule", (which itself requires defining) he is eligible for Qld and not NSW. If he doesn't want to play Origin, that's a different matter. This is about eligibility, not a player's (or anyone else's) personal or economically driven preferences about wanting to play for NSW or Qld, eligibility, ethnicity or citizenship.

Equally, if Kasiano qualifies as per the above "eligibility rule" he is eligible for Qld Origin selection. And that should not, must not, be a bar to him representing his country (however that is defined) since national eligibility is an entirely different question to Origin eligibility.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, and for mine, this is the simplest, most rationally compelling way to explain the meaning of Origin, and the one least open to rorting.

As to identifying as a Qld'er for whatever reason, unless you qualify as per the above, it's irrelevant to your eligibility.

Last edited:
I guess I'm more empathetic to people who move to Australia from another country, still love their home country but also love their adopted "state" and the passion around origin.

eg, Karmichael Hunt. He played with passion for QLD, and because he had to, he played for Australia. I imagine he would've played just as well if not better for NZ, and still be as great for QLD as he was.

I don't see how it cheapens Origin. If the rules are as they are now, that you have to have done your football development in Queensland/NSW, play your first senior football there, then it's no different.

As I keep saying, the fact that Inglis and Folau to name but 2 were born and bred in NSW, moved to QLD as teenagers and are therefore eligible for QLD is proof of my concept. What their international allegiance is is irrelevant.

State of Origin != born, bred in that state. Origin != where you're brought up. Origin = where you started senior football.
International honours = born, bred, family, residency...so many people qualify for 2 different countries. Sometimes 3.

State of Origin allegiance/eligibility should be treated completely differently to International eligibility/allegiance.
And there should be the ability to nominate allegiance to a "minnow nation" (like Tonga, Fiji etc) in addition to a major league playing nation if you qualify for both.

However, agree that it should be something you decide when you first come into senior football. Sign it, bam, that's it. No changing your mind. And that extends to Internationals too. No nominating for one country, then spending 3 years in another and changing your allegiance on residency grounds.

I'll say it again, other than "I don't like it", "QLD/NSW is in Australia", nobody's given me a valid reason why the above won't work.

Does this mean that QLDers should be able to play City-Country if they want too?

Does this mean that QLDers should be able to play City-Country if they want too?

Again, City-Country origin is about where you developed your football. Unless you could prove you developed in NSW City or NSW Country, then no.

In the case of Israel Folau and Greg Inglis, potentially yes.

Depends what the City-Country eligibility rules are, but I would assume that they are similar to Origin, but more restrictive to where each player grew and developped as a football player: NSW City or NSW Country!

I don't want any sheep shaggers or whinging poms representing Qld

Coxy if your idea went ahead every single player in the game would choose to represent (through one eligibility loophole or another) to represent their home country and play SOO. If would turn into an international game half filled with kiwis and poms.

Coxy if your idea went ahead every single player in the game would choose to represent (through one eligibility loophole or another) to represent their home country and play SOO. If would turn into an international game half filled with kiwis and poms.

No it won't. There aren't enough good NZ and England players to possibly fill half the roster spots of an Origin series.

No it won't. There aren't enough good NZ and England players to possibly fill half the roster spots of an Origin series.

And it's laughable too. The absolute vast majority of players brought through the QLD and NSW systems would be born and bred Australians. Even those who may have been born overseas would still feel more affinity to Australia and want to represent this country.

But seriously, how good would it be if with the current QLD team dilemma we could simply move Inglis to fullback and bring Jack Reed into his favoured Left centre position? And Jack could still line up for Great Britain.

Win-win scenario IMO.

No way Reeds fast enough for Origin

I don't think anyone born outside of NSW or QLD should be eligible unless there country of birth has no official national team they can play rep footy for. Also for anyone born outside of QLD and NSW but within Australia, bad luck you can play for Australia not in SOO. Also for those born elsewhere they would only be eligible if there first graded match was within QLD or NSW. This might sound close mided or whatever but I am sick of so much grey area with this series every single year. Also for cases like Peter Sterling obviously he was born here but grew up and played in NSW only those types of situations should a player be able to "switch" states. People like Greg Inglis either play for NSW or don't play at all.

That's a short sighted view IMO. Even right now there would be possibly up to 5 players from the NZ team who would make the origin team and guys like Graham, Burgess, G. Ellis, Widdop, etc Wouldn't be far off an origin jersey either.

Down the track, especially if a second NZ team is introduced I could see origin in 10 years being half filled with NZ/ENG players, possibly more than Aussie players. That would be the day I no longer give a shit about origin. It isn't an all stars game

I don't think anyone born outside of NSW or QLD should be eligible unless there country of birth has no official national team they can play rep footy for. Also for anyone born outside of QLD and NSW but within Australia, bad luck you can play for Australia not in SOO. Also for those born elsewhere they would only be eligible if there first graded match was within QLD or NSW. This might sound close mided or whatever but I am sick of so much grey area with this series every single year. Also for cases like Peter Sterling obviously he was born here but grew up and played in NSW only those types of situations should a player be able to "switch" states. People like Greg Inglis either play for NSW or don't play at all.

But what if for instance you live in NSW, but your family moved from QLD, and were really passionate about them...and it passed onto you and you grew up supporting QLD just as passionately.

But what if for instance you live in NSW, but your family moved from QLD, and were really passionate about them...and it passed onto you and you grew up supporting QLD just as passionately.

That's just unlucky then. I'll be making the effort for my kids to be born in qld.

Too bloody bad it is State of Origin, Origin is where something begins which should mean where you are born when talking about what state people should be eligible for. The series is becoming comical next year we will have Tamou vs Kasiano and Inglis vs Uate, the whole concept has been completely torn to shreds by the way they have let basically anyone declare themselves eligible for someone.

Too bloody bad it is State of Origin, Origin is where something begins which should mean where you are born when talking about what state people should be eligible for. The series is becoming comical next year we will have Tamou vs Kasiano and Inglis vs Uate, the whole concept has been completely torn to shreds by the way they have let basically anyone declare themselves eligible for someone.

It's NEVER been about where you're born. If it did, Thaiday would be being overlooked for NSW for being indigenous, and Peter Sterling would've kept Allan Langer out of the Queensland team.

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Manlyman
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.