Sam Kasiano

Read my first post on those very rare occasions like the Sterlo one.

But see that's the problem. You can't say it's a hard and fast rule and then have exceptions.

Whatever they decide, bottom line has to be this: players have to declare their allegiance along with the first senior contract registered with the ARLC. On it they can nominate their preferred state, minnow and test nation, and provide evidence to backup the validity of those preferences.

Next step is to get over the notion that to be a Queenslander you have to be "Australian".

That's a short sighted view IMO. Even right now there would be possibly up to 5 players from the NZ team who would make the origin team and guys like Graham, Burgess, G. Ellis, Widdop, etc Wouldn't be far off an origin jersey either.

Down the track, especially if a second NZ team is introduced I could see origin in 10 years being half filled with NZ/ENG players, possibly more than Aussie players. That would be the day I no longer give a shit about origin. It isn't an all stars game
What? When did Graham, Burgess, Ellis or Widdop develop their game in Qld or NSW? I must have missed them going around the Junior Footy in Qld or NSW...

If you didn't grow and developped your footy in either Qld or NSW, **** off... No Origin for you!

What? When did Graham, Burgess, Ellis or Widdop develop their game in Qld or NSW? I must have missed them going around the Junior Footy in Qld or NSW...

If you didn't grow and developped your footy in either Qld or NSW, **** off... No Origin for you!

I was more so arguing that people can simply play for their home countries but be able to choose origin as well. Someone like Burgess playing for NSW just wouldn't sit well with me. I'd have much less of a problem if they could only play SOO if they actually spent a significant amount of time in the respective states and it was genuinely a big part of their lives of footy careers but I still wouldn't be a fan.

I know (or I think I know) that no-one has suggested that origin players should only play for the state they were actually born in (which I don't agree with), but here is a list I found in an article online with players who were born in different states / countries, grew up there a while then went on to have a lot of passion playing for their respective states through the old/new eligibility laws.

A team of stars who didn't play for their state (the state they were born in)
1. Karmichael Hunt (Born New Zealand, played for Queensland)
2. Lote Tuqiri (Born Fiji, played for Queensland)
3. Timana Tahu (Born Victoria, played for NSW)
4. Greg Inglis (Born NSW, plays for Queensland)
5. Akuila Uate (Born Fiji, plays for NSW)
6. Mat Rogers (Born NSW, played for Queensland)
7. Peter Sterling (Born Queensland, played for NSW)
8. James Tamou (Born New Zealand, plays for NSW)
9. Adrian Lam (Born Papua New Guinea, played for Queensland)
10. Petero Civoniceva (Born Fiji, plays for Queensland)
11. Sam Thaiday (Born NSW, plays for Queensland)
12. Tonie Carroll (Born New Zealand, played for Queensland)
13. Billy Moore (Born NSW, played for Queensland)
14. Frank Pritchard (Born NSW, plays for New Zealand)
15. Matt Gillett (Born NSW, plays for Queensland)
16. Michael Crocker (Born NSW, played for Queensland)
17. Willie Tonga (Born ACT, played for Queensland)

This whole debate could be solved by Queensland declaring their independence from Australia. There'd be no problem.

Found this article going on about dual eligibility (international and state) - she goes on about how we need Origin to keep up with code growth and so forth...

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/06/27/state-origin-is-dual-eligibility-answer/

For mine, SOO is not lacking behind at all, in fact it's getting bigger - the reason it's spreading so far and why people want to watch it is because of the genuine passion! Ridiculous suggesting people based in other geographical locations can't get into it as much because it's predominantly QLD and NSW based.. If people like rugby league then they love SOO no matter where you are located in the world. There is not really another game like it that I am aware of which is why it has had so much success in the UK, USA, NZ, Asia and so forth.

Watching two talents go head to head who both have a passion to win is always entertaining, no matter where the two sides are from or what they are playing - we don't have to start opening doors to grow the SOO concept at all, we just have to hold on to and nurture what we have because that IS the special part.

No surprise to see most of them are "Queenslanders".

Akuila Uate (born in Fiji)
James Tamou (born in Palmerston North, NZ)
Willie Mason (born in Auckland)
Peter Sterling (born in Toowoomba)
James McManus (born in Scotland)
Mario Fenech (born in Malta)
Phil Blake (born in England)
Ken Nagas (born in Bundaberg)
John Hopoate (born in Tonga)
Timana Tahu (born in Melbourne)
Hazem El Mazri (born in Lebanon)

who did they play for rocky?

No surprise to see most of them are "Queenslanders".

Can't find where I read the article now, should have got the link at the time - but I remember when reading it that it did sound like it was written 'south of the border'.

EDIT: haha, AP must have been writing when I was and adds some pretty strong confirmation to the above.. I remember thinking the whole article felt NSW'ish.

Last edited:
Peter Wallace also born in Melbourne.

He was a Penrith junior and was raised there. Tahu moved to the outback when he was a baby.

I found 10 NSW players that weren't born in NSW that played origin for the blues.

I am sick of the whole thing TBH. Both States have picked players who aren't born in the State they are playing for. The rule needs to be fixed or just open the flood gates and let Kiwis play. Sick of the bickering. Both States are as bad as each other.

So is every Nation.

Where is Mackay? That's in New Zealand!

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Old Mate
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.