Season 2022

I'm actually really hoping Niu turns out to be a gun centre and we can look to turn Staggs into a 6. I feel like we then need a halfback with a really good kicking game to compliment Staggs strengths. Would you go with Hughes, SJ, Milf, Dearden or other though.

I'm aware this would result in a drastic change to whatever our non-existent game plan is supposed to be but I am more than ok with that.

I'm actually really hoping Niu turns out to be a gun centre and we can look to turn Staggs into a 6. I feel like we then need a halfback with a really good kicking game to compliment Staggs strengths. Would you go with Hughes, SJ, Milf, Dearden or other though.

I'm aware this would result in a drastic change to whatever our non-existent game plan is supposed to be but I am more than ok with that.

What indication has Staggs ever given that he would make a good 6? Are we sure this isn't a Hoffman 2.0 situation?

What indication has Staggs ever given that he would make a good 6? Are we sure this isn't a Hoffman 2.0 situation?

Gut feel but also, he is a strong runner and that would be wonderful in a roaming capacity. He has a nice pass on him, though he hasn't shown it that often. He also has a decent short kicking game. He played in the halves in Tonga v Samoa and was a standout, he filled in there in one of our only wins last year pre-Covid. Admittedly a very, very small sample size but this idea isn't coming from nowhere.

Gut feel but also, he is a strong runner and that would be wonderful in a roaming capacity. He has a nice pass on him, though he hasn't shown it that often. He also has a decent short kicking game. He played in the halves in Tonga v Samoa and was a standout, he filled in there in one of our only wins last year pre-Covid. Admittedly a very, very small sample size but this idea isn't coming from nowhere.

MMMmmmm, It's a pretty small sample size, Sproj.

Yes, that's what I said. I guess though, look at it this way, if he is a failure as a six, you still have one of the very best centres going around.

Yes, that's what I said. I guess though, look at it this way, if he is a failure as a six, you still have one of the very best centres going around.
Definitely nothing ventured nothing gained.

Or he can go to left centre and staggs back to his usual spot, we need another centre.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter how many games they've played there, you can even tell from half a game of football if someone just gets it, and Staggs would be an elite 6 no doubt about it IMO.

It really doesn't matter how many games they've played there, you can even tell from half a game of football if someone just gets it, and Staggs would be an elite 6 no doubt about it IMO.
Yep , I think he played 6 back in the day too

Is Kevin Walters still our coach? Is the 6 again rule still in play for 2022 or not?

The way they change rules in this game these days....who farking knows right..?

Both of those things will go a long way towards what we do in regards player recruitment...

Last edited:
I put on my coaches hat after watching Broncos Titans game.

I think its pretty obvious that our spine sucks. Milford and Croft arent working at all. If we fix that, we are instantly premiership contenders. A bit of direction and composure goes a long way in the NRL.

2021 is probably more about seeing who's expendable, and building for 2022 - than it is about winning games. We arent going to win a premiership this year, and we will have to turn the ship around in a major way to make the finals.

So, i propose - before Milf and Croft inevitably ruin everything - we trial Dearden and Kotoni.

Worst case scenario, they suck and we go shopping. Best case scenario, theyre good. We can get rid of Milford. Pay Staggs the 600K hes asking for and one half of our spine issue is solved. We will also have a spare $500K... which leads me to my next point.

I think we seriously need a good fullback more than a good hooker. Isaako just isnt good enough unfortunately. He has a great kicking game, but he doesnt use it ever. He seems super strong, but doesnt break tackles. Has a great step, which he showed us that one time, and only that one time. Its a shame, but he isnt NRL starting standard. Turpin is alright, he can stay, but he needs a 14 to relieve him sometimes. A Segeyaro type would be perfect.

2022 will be a vastly different year if Kev can sort the spine

I put on my coaches hat after watching Broncos Titans game.

I think its pretty obvious that our spine sucks. Milford and Croft arent working at all. If we fix that, we are instantly premiership contenders. A bit of direction and composure goes a long way in the NRL.

2021 is probably more about seeing who's expendable, and building for 2022 - than it is about winning games. We arent going to win a premiership this year, and we will have to turn the ship around in a major way to make the finals.

So, i propose - before Milf and Croft inevitably ruin everything - we trial Dearden and Kotoni.

Worst case scenario, they suck and we go shopping. Best case scenario, theyre good. We can get rid of Milford. Pay Staggs the 600K hes asking for and one half of our spine issue is solved. We will also have a spare $500K... which leads me to my next point.

I think we seriously need a good fullback more than a good hooker. Isaako just isnt good enough unfortunately. He has a great kicking game, but he doesnt use it ever. He seems super strong, but doesnt break tackles. Has a great step, which he showed us that one time, and only that one time. Its a shame, but he isnt NRL starting standard. Turpin is alright, he can stay, but he needs a 14 to relieve him sometimes. A Segeyaro type would be perfect.

2022 will be a vastly different year if Kev can sort the spine
I like the idea of trying dearden and staggs together but not after staggs just did an ACL that’s a big ask for the guy

A gettable 2022 team (accounting for some losses) who i think would put in an effort.

1. Nicho hynes
2. Mead
3. Herbie
4. Staggs/nui if staggs leaves (which is likely)
5. Coates
6. Drinkwater (based on what milford is showing i dont think i would offer him a new contract even at a significant cut). Reported to prefer playing in the halves.
7. Dearden/croft if dearden leaves (would also make enquiries into sam walker)
8. Lodge
9. Turpin (i think we are no chance of b.smith)
10. Hass
11. (I think piakura is all but gone). Capewell/ or transition bullemore there. Hitting gaps with his speed and size could be a positive
12. Riki
13. Asiata
14. Billy walters
15. Tpj
16. Carrigan
17. Flegler

Well...

Bennett in, Bennett gone
Seibold in on an unrestricted contract, Seibold gone
One board member says contract has performance clause, other board member says opposite
Walters in, no press conference arranged
White in, White gone, White staying a little longer, White gone
McGuire extended, McGuire gone
Player options handed out to all and sundry
Joffa extended, Joffa gone
Kahu released, Kahu returned on bigger contract, Kahu's rehab covered, Kahu gone
Macca in, Macca released, Macca needed, Macca not able to return, Macca in, $200k paid, Macca gone
Fifita staying, Fifita gone, Fifita staying, 20 meetings later, Fifita gone
Bird takes player option, Bird gone AND we pay for him
KNik in, KNik not wanted, KNik gone, KNik now wanted but KNik gone
Su'A wanted and a building block of the future, Su'A gone
Current and former rep players out, has-beens and never-weres in and no money leftover
and so on

Defending the club's planning ahead might be a bit harder than you think.
fucking classic.

How anyone can argue otherwise is in complete loser denial.

Hope CEO Dave brought a crash helmet up with him from Melbourne..

Poor bastard, we have systemic issues at every level of the club and this blokes expected to fix the lot....

Dont envy him...

In terms of this season, well, to me its real black and white.

I watched Cam Munster absolutely go berserk when B Smith threw a bad pass from dummy half against Parra.

Did anyone else see a reaction from our guys after the 4th Titans try in a row?

So, like I said, black and white. If we have no-one on field who can take accountability for the effort, then the coach must do it off field, and start dropping people.

One of the defining messages from Pies reign up here was no matter how bad you were, you'd be pick next week.

At least Kevin can distinguish himself from that by making guys accountable.

The question is - will he?

I am pretty certain now the answers in terms of on field leadership aren't inside the club.

So, we will have significant cap space next season, it needs to be used to go get that leadership.

We need someone who would kill in cold blood their own Mother if it meant a win in a NRL game.

Munsters perfect, be arguably unattainable....unless its for the Motherlode..??....who knows?

JWH would also be ideal here.....he can be our dirty big **** instead of the Roosters big dirty ****...

But thats where id be focussing our cap space now. We have talent here, hard as it is to admit, but we actually do.

We have no leadership, we need, must, go and get that...

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Swordfish
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • Financeguy
  • Wolfie
  • Hurrijo
  • Alec
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.