Season 2022

Dazza 92

NRL Player
Oct 13, 2014
From what I can remember, Deardon can at least hold his own in defence. Did you notice the area of our so-called defensive line the Titans hit time and time again?

Right where Milf and Niu defend. That was a fair dinkum turnstile. Unforgivable really...

So, id drop milf and play Deaden there, at least he has some defensive acumen. Id also be instructing the 2nd rower inside him to push out on the outside more on our own line, get a solid body in between them to shore up the defence there.

I mean, absolutely anything would be better than thinking we can rely on Milf the tissue and a rookie centre to hold the line, they clearly cannot...

Last edited:

winslow_wong

International Rep
May 27, 2013
Given Walsh has left, I have tried hard to highlight some reasons why I thought Isaako could make a good fist of the No1.

Clearly I've been let down in this regard. I no longer actually know what Isaako is right now, apart from our goal kicker. And we dont score enough tries for that to really matter anyway...

If you want to know why the games best fullbacks get paid the most, its for what they do in defence.

If you can, rewatch last nights game. Do you see Isaako counting numbers in defence on our try line? Do you see him instructing guys where they need to be? He is so far behind the play, he makes his last defence tackles in the in-goal.

He is too proactive, not reactive. Too far behind the play to make any difference. That is what marks the best fullbacks, and why they get the most money.

At least Boyd could count. He would see where we were short and come into the line and defend hard.

So, I dunno if it's worth persisting with him at the 1.
Same can be said about Alex Glenn. Hardly see him rallying the troops when that 10 minute brain explosion was happening in the first half. He’s great at telling the boys “one set” though after every error.

Dazza 92

NRL Player
Oct 13, 2014
Same can be said about Alex Glenn. Hardly see him rallying the troops when that 10 minute brain explosion was happening in the first half. He’s great at telling the boys “one set” though after every error.
Yeh I know...

I mean, even the defence of "well Haas and Lodge will come back into this side" is quite meaningless when we are looking for on field leadership.

You might think Lodge has some, but in order to provide " on field" leadership one needs to actually be available to be "on the field" in the first place..and I dont think Lodge will ever last a season without injury...

Last edited:

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
A gettable 2022 team (accounting for some losses) who i think would put in an effort.

1. Nicho hynes
2. Mead
3. Herbie
4. Staggs/nui if staggs leaves (which is likely)
5. Coates
6. Drinkwater (based on what milford is showing i dont think i would offer him a new contract even at a significant cut). Reported to prefer playing in the halves.
7. Dearden/croft if dearden leaves (would also make enquiries into sam walker)
8. Lodge
9. Turpin (i think we are no chance of b.smith)
10. Hass
11. (I think piakura is all but gone). Capewell/ or transition bullemore there. Hitting gaps with his speed and size could be a positive
12. Riki
13. Asiata
14. Billy walters
15. Tpj
16. Carrigan
17. Flegler
If Dearden goes I would be asking Reynolds or Johnson what contract they’re after, both even.

6. Johnson
7. Reynolds

The kicking game would be off tap, especially if Drinkwater was fullback. Coates would score a million tires.

Renegade

State of Origin Rep
Mar 14, 2008
Not really 2022 but I'd seriously consider throwing KHunt a jersey.

Could do with his leadership and experience. Imagine having someone like him at the back, constantly barking orders, firing players up, having that desire to win at all costs.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2016
If Dearden goes I would be asking Reynolds or Johnson what contract they’re after, both even.

6. Johnson
7. Reynolds

The kicking game would be off tap, especially if Drinkwater was fullback. Coates would score a million tires.
Yeah I'm starting to lean towards SJ, but he'll want at least $800k and is already 30.

However with SJ you know he will at least take ownership of the attack and can create points. He has a kicking game and although it's not elite he is accustomed to being the primary kicker. He's also a good enough goal kicker to take that on as well if needed.

He's also used to being a leader so he could come straight in as the captain and I think I've read in the past that he was a Broncos fan growing up.

Unfortunately I dont think the sharks want to lose him and I dont think he's all that keen to leave Cronulla so he would be extremely difficult to pry out of there, especially given they have a ton of cap space opening up next year as well

Last edited:

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Yeah I'm starting to lean towards SJ, but he'll want at least $800k and is already 30.

However with SJ you know he will at least take ownership of the attack and can create points. He has a kicking game and although it's not elite he is accustomed to being the primary kicker. He's also a good enough goal kicker to take that on as well if needed.

He's also used to being a leader so he could come straight in as the captain and I think I've read in the past that he was a Broncos fan growing up.

Unfortunately I dont think the sharks want to lose him and I dont think he's all that keen to leave Cronulla so he would be extremely difficult to pry out of there, especially given they have a ton of cap space opening up next year as well
If he leaves the sharks, i reckon he would be going back to the warriors.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Apr 17, 2013

He's the accidental captain. I mean seriously, it is a testament to the disgrace that is our roster management that of all the most experienced players to be left in the side virtually alone, it's Alex fucking Glenn. Easily the most bog average second rower left in the 17 who had one foot out the door 2 years ago and presumably only stayed because nobody else wanted him. He is captaining this side, but wouldn't even crack the starting 13 in any of the current top 4.

I feel like a broken drum bringing up Nolan over and over again, but he must be very good mates with Karl Morris or somebody with power at the club, because he should have been out on his ass with Mr. Harvard. Losing McGuire to the Cows for "reasons", presumably because they assumed Fifita was going to be his long term replacement was a big enough sin on its own.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2016
Here we go.....and only after second round.
Just dont click, just dont click
season 7 episode 6 GIF

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Apr 17, 2013
Just dont click, just dont click
season 7 episode 6 GIF

Don't worry, there's nothing there worth seeing. Just more speculative bullshit from Badel about Bennett's future. He did suggest that to get Bennett back to Brisbane, the entire board would need to get the flick which to be honest is exactly what this club needs.

Last edited:

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
Oct 28, 2013

tommy

State of Origin Captain
Jun 5, 2015
Lol so something that was speculated on Bhq yesterday, or was it today? Something new eh petey?

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Sep 6, 2013
What about this side for next year (given we likely lose Piakura and Staggs, maybe Dearden too but for now, lets assume he stays):

1. Farnworth/Niu
2. Hunt
3. Gagai
4. Niu/Farnworth
5. Coates
6. Dearden
7. SJ/Reynolds
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lui
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Asiata (c)

14. Granville
15. TPJ
16. Carrigan
17. Bullemor

jamesbrandy

NYC Player
May 22, 2014
I think Hunt it wasted on the wing. He needs to be closer to the centre of the field so he can be barking orders and using his experience where the whole team can here him.

What about this idea?

1. Hunt (c)
2. Coates
3. Folau
4. Farnworth
5. Niu/Arthurs/ whoever else
6. Croft
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. B. Smith
10. Haas
11. TPJ
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Turpin
15. Fleger
16. Carrigan
17. Bullemore

Milf can **** off. Sure, Croft isn't the X-Factor that Milford supposedly is, but he never stops trying. He's always in there giving it a go and is more solid in defence.

The experience of Hunt barking orders organising the defence and some more experience directing the team around is all we need. No more of these stupid chip and chase in our own half miracle plays.

I think we're only 1 or 2 experienced old heads away from being competitive.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Prices are either based on reports or wild guesses.

Movements:
Milford ($1m) -> A Reynolds ($750k)
Oates ($500k) -> Hynes ($400k)
Staggs ($300k) -> Taupau ($600k)
Niu offer $300k or -> Opacic ($300k)
Glenn ($250k+one club bonus): out
Turpin: re-sign
Dearden: re-sign
Coates: re-sign
Asiata: re-sign
Piakura: re-sign

All contracts 2-3 years and all re-signings dependent on the amounts being reasonable. I would also look again at moving on Lodge as he is on $700k until the end of 2024 with 2 of those being player options - which is completely insane.

1. Hynes
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Niu/Opacic
5. Coates
6. Dearden
7. Reynolds (GK/VC)
8. Taupau (C)
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Pangai
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Lodge/Flegler
15. Bullimor
16. Piakura
17. Carrigan

Piakura, Riki, Haas, Carrigan, Bullimore are the long term core of the forwards. Marty to captain and mentor for 2 years while Carrigan develops into the future captain. Hynes on a 2 year deal to either show he is a long term option or explore the market, develop youth such as Cobbo. Dearden to transition into dominate play maker with Reynolds contract ending in 3 years - have a plan for the type of player Dearden should be partnered with. Keep an eye on upcoming hookers and snag one that can develop into a Turpin replacement.

5 year plan that can be put in place in 2022 and take us straight back into the top 8.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Prices are either based on reports or wild guesses.

Movements:
Milford ($1m) -> A Reynolds ($750k)
Oates ($500k) -> Hynes ($400k)
Staggs ($300k) -> Taupau ($600k)
Niu offer $300k or -> Opacic ($300k)
Glenn ($250k+one club bonus): out
Turpin: re-sign
Dearden: re-sign
Coates: re-sign
Asiata: re-sign
Piakura: re-sign

All contracts 2-3 years and all re-signings dependent on the amounts being reasonable. I would also look again at moving on Lodge as he is on $700k until the end of 2024 with 2 of those being player options - which is completely insane.

1. Hynes
2. Isaako
3. Farnworth
4. Niu/Opacic
5. Coates
6. Dearden
7. Reynolds (GK/VC)
8. Taupau (C)
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Pangai
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Lodge/Flegler
15. Bullimor
16. Piakura
17. Carrigan

Piakura, Riki, Haas, Carrigan, Bullimore are the long term core of the forwards. Marty to captain and mentor for 2 years while Carrigan develops into the future captain. Hynes on a 2 year deal to either show he is a long term option or explore the market, develop youth such as Cobbo. Dearden to transition into dominate play maker with Reynolds contract ending in 3 years - have a plan for the type of player Dearden should be partnered with. Keep an eye on upcoming hookers and snag one that can develop into a Turpin replacement.

5 year plan that can be put in place in 2022 and take us straight back into the top 8.

What it really shows is we are a fullback, forward leader and an organising half away from being genuinely competitive.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Well it got to the stage in 2019 where O'Sullivan was the one out there barking orders for the boys to get their act straight during a match when in goal after conceding a number of soft tries, you wouldn't have known any of the senior players were there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamsmith

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.