NEWS Seibold’s final warning for failing halves

Looks to me like we're going to have a gamebreaking prop in Haas when he has settled in, a gamebreaking middle forward in TPJ, and a gamebreaking back-rower in Fifita. So I'm happy to balance that with some tough, reliable workhorses like Gillett, Lodge, and Carrigan.

And sua , we need a cann , carrol , to type player and I think sua will be that player.

BOYD: GUN ROOKIE CAN PLAY RIGHT NOW

Broncos skipper Darius Boyd after he was named in this weekend’s extended squad.
The 18-year-old whiz kid was named in Anthony Seibold’s reserves ahead Saturday’s clash against Cronulla at Suncorp Stadium in what is a warning shot for his halves pairing to start firing.
Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima have come under fire for the club’s poor startto the season with calls made to scrap the alliance.

Former Australian schoolboy Dearden has shone in the Intrust Super Cup, including a man-of-the-match performance in his debut game earlier this year, and has been given his first incentive of making the first grade side this year.
The Gold Coast kid has been touted as a future NRL star and played his first senior Broncos trial in February, where he scored two tries in the first 31 minutes in a stunning display among senior company.
Boyd said based on the teenager’s performance so far this year, he was ready to play in the NR.
“What I’ve seen, I think he can definitely play right now,” Boyd said.
“I don’t want to put too much pressure on him. He is only a young kid.
“It is very different (playing in the NRL to Q Cup) but in saying that, everything I’ve seen from him, I wouldn’t be surprised if he played and played well.
“He’s pushing the door down very hard to get a spot.”
Dearden trained with the Broncos during the pre-season before being given a shot with Wynnum Manly Seagulls as their first choice halfback.
Boyd said he was a future NRL star in the making.
“Ever since he’s come to the club, he’s been doing some pretty special things as a halfback,” Boyd said.
“He’s got a great head on his shoulders and he’s very humble.
“He’s been doing some good things at training and had a good pre-season and trial match (with us).
“Without putting too much pressure on him, I think he’s going to be a player to watch in the future.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/broncos-captain-darius-boyd-endorses-teen-sensation-tom-dearden-to-make-nrl-debut/news-story/6cc687f830de581204554b3c8936691b

Last edited:
Looks to me like we're going to have a gamebreaking prop in Haas when he has settled in, a gamebreaking middle forward in TPJ, and a gamebreaking back-rower in Fifita. So I'm happy to balance that with some tough, reliable workhorses like Gillett, Lodge, and Carrigan.

Yeah you might be right with that balance, but lets have a player fully prove it first. Even TPJ is proving to be a game breaker - positively and negatively.

Yeah you might be right with that balance, but lets have a player fully prove it first. Even TPJ is proving to be a game breaker - positively and negatively.

and Pagey, i agree on Sua with you again. His form due to position and time has not been realised, but he is an intimidating player on the field, more so on the edge offensively and defensively. Even his own team mates have said they hate being tackled by him.

and Pagey, i agree on Sua with you again. His form due to position and time has not been realised, but he is an intimidating player on the field, more so on the edge offensively and defensively. Even his own team mates have said they hate being tackled by him.

I feel sorry for Sua, he was great for us last year and just hasn't been given the opportunities this season.

In regards to the halves, I'm excited and hopeful that Dearden does get a crack at the 7 either this week or next. I don't expect him to walk in and be a star but he will definitely be given the reigns. Also from what I've watched of him, he definitely has the balls to bark orders around the park to the older blokes.

One other thing though, what's happened to Sean O'Sullivan and why has he dropped off the radar? We brought him over for a reason and he has some first grade experience (all be it minimal). Played for a great team and has learnt from Cronk and Keary, quality player and a good defender. Could be another option to play at 6 (Blake Green type player)

Whats going to happen with Dearden with him being built up as the saviour and he doesnt be the controlling halfback we need? Look at Clifford for example. Very good young half but having to take his time and learn next to Morgan not being the organising, dominant half. We dont have that type of player in Milf or Kodi. I dont see Dearden at this moment in time steering this side around.

The other variable is will Milford let an 18 year old take charge and if so will Milford just go MIA like he used to when benji and hunt were playing.

The other variable is will Milford let an 18 year old take charge and if so will Milford just go MIA like he used to when benji and hunt were playing.

He played his best when he was playing with Hunt, as he was allowed to pick him moments more.

Milford played his best when those guys were playing, especially Hunt. I honestly don’t understand what you are trying to say.

Same doesnt go for Carrigan at all because he has come in, and done the job he is supposed to. He makes good meters, he does his job in defence and hasnt made any errors. Where has anyone ever said Carrigan is a game breaker anyway? Thats a pretty ridiculous statement. I'm not quite sure what you expect from him as a player. If you had ever watched him for QLD, Wynnum or the Broncos u20 side you would know what sort of footballer he is. He absolutely deserves the praise he gets. You just cant compare his role to the role Dearden will be expected to do. In a lot of ways, Dearden has a harder job as the halfback role is a more focal point of the team.
Yes, we got EXACTLY what you forecast would happen. In the forwards the essential tasks, the basics are what's required. Strong defence and make metres. Carrigan will show off his trickshots in the coming years after he's one of the first picked ultrareliable team members. He's already showing he can do the job the coach wants and the team needs.

For mine, the thing about Patty (from what I've seen... not a lot) is he doesn't seem to even want to be that flashy superstar player.
He looks like he isn't just 'prepared' to do the grunt work, he revels in it.
A genuine footballer, just loves getting down & dirty & doing the tough stuff for his team.
It's not difficult to see why @Wolfie constantly raves about his leadership & captaincy credentials.
I'm with you Wolfie, I love him

Milford played his best when those guys were playing, especially Hunt. I honestly don’t understand what you are trying to say.

I remember him being very quiet when benji took over and people were calling for Milford to be given the reins.

Is Deardon better than this kid, Tanah Boyd? He seems to be off the radar.

I've read he's been missing too many tackles, but gee he looks like he make a terrific upgrade to Macca, otherwise:

Is Deardon better than this kid, Tanah Boyd? He seems to be off the radar.

I've read he's been missing too many tackles, but gee he looks like he make a terrific upgrade to Macca, otherwise:

At this stage, the fans would take anyone from the Queensland Cup as their 7, but when they point out the qualities they want in a halfback, this is the player they're talking about. Tanah is the player who likes to get his hands dirty and isn't afraid to back his skill-set to make things happen. He has that Maloney quality where he doesn't allow mistakes to affect him and he can make a big blue one minute and come back with a brilliant play the next. I thought Ricky Stuart had that in him as well, and that's what you want to see out of your halves.

I don't see him as a dummy half at all.

He's very raw at the moment and the Broncos see bigger things in Dearden, but get your Foxtel IQs, TiVos, VCRs etc. ready for this Sunday at 1pm. Boyd vs. Dearden, it will be a good guide for what's to come.

At this stage, the fans would take anyone from the Queensland Cup as their 7, but when they point out the qualities they want in a halfback, this is the player they're talking about. Tanah is the player who likes to get his hands dirty and isn't afraid to back his skill-set to make things happen. He has that Maloney quality where he doesn't allow mistakes to affect him and he can make a big blue one minute and come back with a brilliant play the next. I thought Ricky Stuart had that in him as well, and that's what you want to see out of your halves.

I don't see him as a dummy half at all.

He's very raw at the moment and the Broncos see bigger things in Dearden, but get your Foxtel IQs, TiVos, VCRs etc. ready for this Sunday at 1pm. Boyd vs. Dearden, it will be a good guide for what's to come.

Pete what do you see the Broncos doing with the 6 and 7 jumpers over the next 3-4 years? Do we single out the best player out of our young crop and pair him with Mild or Kodi, and likely lose the other 2? Or do we develop 2 of these young fellas to be our future halves? Or do you think it will play out differently??

Was just interested in your perspective mate.

Last edited:
Pete what do you see the Broncos doing with the 6 and 7 jumpers over the next 3-4 years? Do we single out the best player out of our young crop and pair him with Mild or Kodi, and likely lose the other 2? Or do we develop 2 of these young fellas to be our future halves? Or do you think it will play out differently??

Was just interested in your perspective mate.
We ditch all of them then sign the next 16 year old up and comer and keep waiting. Boyd and Macca play into their 40s.

Active Now

• Behold
  • lynx000
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manifesto
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • thenry
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncosarethebest
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.