Seibold - 5 games in

Perhaps they can see that we are not terrible and are a lot closer to clicking than we passionate supporters believe. A little better handling and we'd be 3 and 2, perhaps even 4 and 1. I honestly believe we are close to being a good team even wirh our limitations. A couple of wins and we will regain our mojo. I haven't lost faith in this season yet.
Hopefully we aren’t far away from clicking and stringing a few together, however there is no way we make the 4 in my eyes. I think we will be lucky to make the 8..we are still yet to go through the origin period, and we have been lucky thus far on the injury front. I unfortunately cannot see us beating the raiders, roosters or rabbits in the next few weeks, which will have a massive impact on our confidence, and where we sit on the ladder.
As for the halves, they haven’t clicked for 18 months or whatever it’s been since hunt left, so I cannot see why all of a sudden (especially on their current form) they’re going to be a premiership threat, unfortunately.
It’s one thing to look good at training, but it’s another to bring it to game day.

Why wouldn’t he? Would any of us, not in his shoes? But there is zero evidence to suggest the Titans offer was the only big money on the table, precisely because we made a play at him. I’d suggest other clubs probably did too.

But regardless of that, the fact is he stayed with the club that gave him a chance to play NRL and I imagine he would if we had given him that chance too. But we released him in favour of no-one.

We did give him his debut. He broke his hand or something iirc.

Anyone catch Lockyer on 100% footy last night? From what he was saying, nothing will be changing in the halves - and I would assume he would know. It's worrying that he believes Seibold will continue with these halves, and that their game management is getting better... Darren must have missed the absolute disgrace that was our last set and attempt at FG on the weekend..
Gus was still on his roll about how the Broncos aren't going that bad, how they will still make the 4, and win a comp in the next couple of years.

Has me questioning if I am watching the same games that these blokes are watching..?
Honestly, wtf is going on.

I'm also sure that Darren knows the reason that nothing will be changing in the halves ... and that is because of the performance of our halves in the lower grade.

change for the sake of change is never a good idea ... it is only worth changing if the player you bring in is going to do better than the player you are replacing ... unfortunately for us, right at this point in time, that is not going to be the case

Hopefully we aren’t far away from clicking and stringing a few together, however there is no way we make the 4 in my eyes. I think we will be lucky to make the 8..we are still yet to go through the origin period, and we have been lucky thus far on the injury front. I unfortunately cannot see us beating the raiders, roosters or rabbits in the next few weeks, which will have a massive impact on our confidence, and where we sit on the ladder.
As for the halves, they haven’t clicked for 18 months or whatever it’s been since hunt left, so I cannot see why all of a sudden (especially on their current form) they’re going to be a premiership threat, unfortunately.
It’s one thing to look good at training, but it’s another to bring it to game day.
If you can't see them beating the Roosters, Raiders or Rabbits then a playoff spot won't happen. I assume you are projecting them to beat Cron and Man (a big ask) which would put them at 3-7 after 10 games. They would have to finish at least 9-5 to make the post season which is highly unlikely. As it is, they need to finish 15-4 for a top 4 spot which is extremely laughable. The drought will continue for another year but let's hope they can sneak a playoff berth somehow because if they don't, then this organization is in dire straits. Sunday's game is massive, a win may spark something but a loss signals the end. There is no coming back from a 1-5 start.

Last edited:
So how come Ash Taylor is commanding a million a year.

Because the player marketplace so to speak, is becoming infinitely more ruthless. Exactly as our coach should have been, rather than allowing 3 of our halfbacks to leave our club within about 12 months of each other and replacing them with no-one...

Even with our spine issue the potential is definitely there. I have no doubts that this team has the ability to win a gf within the next few seasons. As for this season, I have still seen a lot of good, but our execution has been terrible.

How this season finishes will really depend on how, with the guidance of Seibold, the young team reacts to such a bad start. Do they lose confidence and drop their heads continuing with more of the same, or do they believe in themselves, Seibold and his processes to keep digging in until it begins to click? Only time will tell.

We’ve seen what happens when this team does click though, when we towelled up the cowboys.

personally because I think he would have continued to develop at our club compared to others and we would have gone all out to retain him. When we tried to sign him back after foolishly letting him go, he remained loyal to the club that gave him a chance instead of letting him walk.

What makes you say that he would not have been loyal to us, given the same chance?

Hi @Jason Simmons :)

I didn't say he would not have stayed loyal, I am simply questioning why folks think he definitely would have

IMO, he left in 2015 and is just as likely to have left in 2016 if we didn't release him in 15

Sure, he may have stayed, but we will never know

Releasing Taylor made it a certainty, so I wouldn't say it was as likely. For me it's the mentality that the Broncos had finally developed one of the best junior halfbacks in the game and instead of holding onto him as long as they could, they just let him go. It would have slightly made sense if they had Johnathan Thurston or Cooper Cronk ahead of him, but it was Ben Hunt. Members are trying to rewrite history and claim nobody questioned the decision because Milford/Hunt were the best halves combination in the competition, but as I've demonstrated that isn't the case at all. In general, we all recognised that Milford/Hunt were playing good footy, but there was always question marks over how well they could play together long term. As it turned out, it was until mid-way through 2016.

I will say that if the Broncos didn't release Taylor, they may not have been able to make plays on Roberts, Pangai Jr or Isaako. So when I said that the Broncos didn't get anything out of it, that's wrong, they had space in the squad to make one of those signings.

Whether it was worth it is another discussion.

Releasing Taylor made it a certainty, so I wouldn't say it was as likely. For me it's the mentality that the Broncos had finally developed one of the best junior halfbacks in the game and instead of holding onto him as long as they could, they just let him go. It would have slightly made sense if they had Johnathan Thurston or Cooper Cronk ahead of him, but it was Ben Hunt. Members are trying to rewrite history and claim nobody questioned the decision because Milford/Hunt were the best halves combination in the competition, but as I've demonstrated that isn't the case at all. In general, we all recognised that Milford/Hunt were playing good footy, but there was always question marks over how well they could play together long term. As it turned out, it was until mid-way through 2016.

I will say that if the Broncos didn't release Taylor, they may not have been able to make plays on Roberts, Pangai Jr or Isaako. So when I said that the Broncos didn't get anything out of it, that's wrong, they had space in the squad to make one of those signings.

Whether it was worth it is another discussion.

Ben Hunt grabbed his starting-halfback role with both hands. He had a great end to 2013, and kicked arse through 2014. Getting to the Grand Final next to Milford was enough for a lot of of us (me included) to believe that he would be our first-choice halfback for the forseeable future, and with the current rep halves nearing retirement, potentially rep jumpers for years to come for Hunt & Milford. That's exactly how it played out, and that's certainly what I remember a lot of people posting, so I don't agree that anyone is rewriting history here.

Ben Hunt grabbed his starting-halfback role with both hands. He had a great end to 2013, and kicked arse through 2014. Getting to the Grand Final next to Milford was enough for a lot of of us (me included) to believe that he would be our first-choice halfback for the forseeable future, and with the current rep halves nearing retirement, potentially rep jumpers for years to come for Hunt & Milford. That's exactly how it played out, and that's certainly what I remember a lot of people posting, so I don't agree that anyone is rewriting history here.

Except for the part that everybody was on board and thought he could be the Broncos halfback for the next decade. I wasn't, Porthoz wasn't and I'm sure if I kept digging you'd find others who were far from convinced.

Except for the part that everybody was on board and thought he could be the Broncos halfback for the next decade. I wasn't, Porthoz wasn't and I'm sure if I kept digging you'd find others who were far from convinced.

You weren't, Porthoz wasn't (and let's remember how much bias is behind that), but it seems the Broncos' organisation did.

You weren't, Porthoz wasn't (and let's remember how much bias is behind that), but it seems the Broncos' organisation did.

I'm not talking about the Broncos organisation, I'm talking about us and there was always a divide over the future halves pairing.

I'm talking about us and there was always a divide over the future halves pairing.

on this forum, there would be a divide over whether a halves pairing of Lockyer and Thurston (in their primes) had what it takes to be our long term halves ... lol

I'm not talking about the Broncos organisation, I'm talking about us and there was always a divide over the future halves pairing.

Point being, even if there wasn't a complete consensus, people aren't making up, or "rewriting history", when referring to BHQ posts on Hunt looking promising for us, therefore vindicating Taylor's release.

Point being, even if there wasn't a complete consensus, people aren't making up, or "rewriting history", when referring to BHQ posts on Hunt looking promising for us, therefore vindicating Taylor's release.

They are when they write this:

I Bleed Maroon said:
In 2015 we were all under the assumption that Milford and Hunt were going to be our halves for the next decade. Then the Grand Final happened.

Were we?

Big Pete said:
I'll just say I'm no where near convinced that Hunt is good enough to deserve the halfback spot for the next five years.

Once he learns how to control a game, I'll be convinced but right now he's a contract by contract prospect...at best.

They were playing good footy and that was recognised, but there were always question marks over their long term viability.

Foordy said:
on this forum, there would be a divide over whether a halves pairing of Lockyer and Thurston (in their primes) had what it takes to be our long term halves ... lol

Touche.

The whole reason I dug up those old posts wasn't to remind everybody about the one time out of a hundred I was actually right, it was to contest the whole narrative around 'well nobody expected it to go to shit' narrative that was being tossed out. It wasn't difficult to envision back then, and the club is now in a position where Kodi Nikorima is the first choice halfback.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's go with bias... LOL

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • KateBroncos1812
  • whykickamoocow
  • the_next
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • peter09
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fozz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Dash
  • The True King
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.