Seibold - 5 games in

The one thing that I hope is happening is that the young trident of halves are watching this and seeing it as a massive opportunity to force their way into the team.

Realistically I can only see a change happen if one of the young guys just starts belting down the door for selection in that spine.

From memory I think Paix was being groomed as a potential hooker. I've not seen him play outside of the trials this year, and I know that he's in the development squad, but has this been continuing? Is he coming along at all?

The one thing that I hope is happening is that the young trident of halves are watching this and seeing it as a massive opportunity to force their way into the team.

Realistically I can only see a change happen if one of the young guys just starts belting down the door for selection in that spine.

From memory I think Paix was being groomed as a potential hooker. I've not seen him play outside of the trials this year, and I know that he's in the development squad, but has this been continuing? Is he coming along at all?

Paix is playing Halfback for the Dolphins, has played 3 games, they're 0 wins and 3 losses and he has 0 tries, 1 try assist, 1 line break and 1 forced drop outs.

Boyd is playing Halfback for the Magpies, has played 3 games, they're 1 win and 2 losses and he has 0 tries, 2 try assists, 0 line breaks and 3 forced drop outs.

Dearden is playing Five-Eighth for the Seagulls, has played 2 games, they're 2 wins and 0 losses and he has 0 tries, 2 try assists, 0 line breaks and 2 forced drop outs.

O'Sullivan is playing Halfback for the Devils, has played 2 games, they're 1 win and 1 loss and he has 0 tries, 1 try assist, 0 line breaks and 0 forced drop outs.

Dargan is playing Five-Eighth for the Devils, has played 2 games, they're 1 win and 1 loss and he has 0 tries, 0 try assists, 0 line breaks and 1 forced drop out.

Last edited:
I was all for Seibold however if he fails to make any changes to our spine, then he has absolutely lost it for mine. He has a 10 day turn around, get Sean O’Sullivan in there at least in the 14. Niko to dummy half for the last 20 of each half, or for 80 and piss Mccollough off. The leadership in this team is non existent. Boyd to wing or Q cup.

I said it last week, and I’ll say it again, White must be feeling very nervous. Yes, he is our CEO and not our coach, but the buck stops with him. White and the rest of the board moved heaven and earth to sack WB and get Seibold here. If we miss the 8 and fall within the bottom 4 by seasons end I reckon White will be gone.
Any ok CEO should be able to market the Broncos, its a one team town but lack of results will end up hurting sponsorship, member numbers and crowd figures.
The club is clearly going backwards and its inexcusable.

because you need to have the personnel to make the changes with ...
Exactly. Time to judge is when he has his own roster. This will take time. The guy is not an idiot he knows we have deficiencies but until he offloads a few of the high earners who are not worth the coin thanks to WB. He cannot do much.

Paix is playing Halfback for the Dolphins, has played 3 games, they're 0 wins and 3 losses and he has 0 tries, 1 try assist, 1 line break and 1 forced drop outs.

Boyd is playing Halfback for the Magpies, has played 3 games, they're 1 win and 2 losses and he has 0 tries, 2 try assists, 0 line breaks and 3 forced drop outs.

Dearden is playing Five-Eighth for the Seagulls, has played 2 games, they're 2 wins and 0 losses and he has 0 tries, 2 try assists, 0 line breaks and 2 forced drop outs.

O'Sullivan is playing Halfback for the Devils, has played 2 games, they're 1 win and 1 loss and he has 0 tries, 1 try assist, 0 line breaks and 0 forced drop outs.

Dargan is playing Five-Eighth for the Devils, has played 2 games, they're 1 win and 1 loss and he has 0 tries, 0 try assists, 0 line breaks and 1 forced drop out.

Serious question, has anybody watched all those games or are we just going by the stats, because based on the stats their all average footballers.

Do we actually know how the team/system is built around them,

Exactly. Time to judge is when he has his own roster. This will take time. The guy is not an idiot he knows we have deficiencies but until he offloads a few of the high earners who are not worth the coin thanks to WB. He cannot do much.

I can't agree with that. Our issue hasn't been so much that we haven't got the talent, it's that the players aren't playing well at the moment. Look at the stats:
V tigers - 37 missed tackles, 21 ineffective tackles, 10 errors
V roosters 54! missed tackles, 20 ineffective tackles, 17 errors
V dragons 40 missed tackles, 17 ineffective tackles, 14 errors.

It's not Bennett's fault guys are dropping the ball. It's not Bennett's fault guys are missing tackles. It's not Bennett's fault Siebold had Carrigan on for 7 minutes last night. Siebold is the coach and no matter who his predecessor was the current coach needs to have the players catching and holding the ball.

I can't agree with that. Our issue hasn't been so much that we haven't got the talent, it's that the players aren't playing well at the moment. Look at the stats:

It's not Bennett's fault guys are dropping the ball. It's not Bennett's fault guys are missing tackles. It's not Bennett's fault Siebold had Carrigan on for 7 minutes last night. Siebold is the coach and no matter who his predecessor was the current coach needs to have the players catching and holding the ball.
I agree, this whole judge him when he has his own roster is straight up bullshit. Anyone would think he's been tossed a squad resembling the western suburbs circa late 90's. Stop creating false narratives to hide behind, simply say we're playing shithouse and that's partially on Seibold. There's no need to be sycophant.

Bennett would be doing better than Seibold currently is with this squad of players. I'll hold fire on how Seibold is going until we are another 4 or 5 games in. At the moment, he is failing. It's not even debatable really, look at our results.

I don't doubt that Bennett would be doing better than Seibold right now, but I think that's more to do with the players being more comfortable in a system of known structures and coaching. But I doubt they'd be setting the world on fire, and I don't know that either Bennett or Seibold could take this team, this year, past the first week or two of the finals at best.

I want to see where Seibold has this team at the end of the year. It's not going to be in the grand final (but we should be used to that by now). I just hope that there is a noticeable upward trend, and that some of the leaders of the future have been blooded and look comfortable in a system that is working. I hope that there is promise of a better 2020, and 2021, and 2022. I'd be thrilled if they beat the odds and make it into the finals from here, and make a good accounting of themselves there. I'm not going to bank on it, but I'm going to try to remain optimistic.

None of that really screams, “pick me” does it :facepalmwastaken:

This team has been getting worse year by year since 2015, year the "master coach" was presented with a much better team and roster than the one he left us with. Nothing new under the sun, just ask dragqueens and knights... Bennett has again done a fantastic job of poisoning the well.

Sure, the usual suspects will probably say we have one of, if not the best crop of young forwards in the competition and a top 4 roster (ROFL), but with no one capable of leading them around the park, an absolute joke of a captain and horrible habits ingrained, Seibs really has his work cut out for him, especially because he has no depth to change what needs to be changed.

I just hope the club's management has the vision to allow Seibs the time to clean all the rot left behind, no matter whom it upsets.

Just like the usuals will try to say that they are objective when it comes to talking about Bennett, but they're really not, and clearly not, but still think they are.

Most of those deals were done well before Bennett was ever leaving, and before Bennett was even having to come out and say "I'd like to stay".

You are Matt Johns.

"I think I want my money back"

tenor.gif

I could cop some stick for this but we're two dropped balls away from being 3 from 5 despite playing poorly. There is so much improvement in us but appreciate we're going backwards in areas.

I'm enjoying the transparency from Siebs and confident we'll get there but with some bumps in the road.

So, realistically, we have to win 14 out of 19 just to make the semis. I can't see that happening the way they're playing at the moment.

We were a good sight better than this year.

The finals game against St George was an aberration.

Wayne's greatest failing last year was not being able to get us up for the games we were expected to win. He even admitted that, and it cost him his job.

He still managed to get us up for the games we weren't expected to win. We finished 2 points behind the Storm and won 6/8 against the eventual top 4 for **** sake.

We have been absolutely woeful this year, apart from the cowboys game - which would require no coaching to get them pumped up.

It can't just be a coincidence.

At what point do you assign blame to the coaching staff? Is it after we lose to Canberra(a), or the Sharks(h) or the Rabbitohs(a)? Because that's what awaits us. Is it always going to be Wayne's fault?

Wayne left us a contender, everyone in the media, as daft as those ***** can be some times, said we'd either win it or be in the top 4/6. At the moment we're playing like spoon contenders. It's embarrassing.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and we go on a 15 game win streak and then cruise through the finals, and if we do I'll happily get the opening few lines to this post tattooed on my chest, but that isnt happening.

We weren't a good team last year, but compared to seibolds broncos, we were a great team.

Really? The finals game against St George was an aberration?

How quickly we forget how bad we were in some of our games. The home loss to the Warriors was terrible as was the loss to the Bulldogs. A lot of those losses very comparable to some of last year's losses. This is far from a worse team than last year.

Let's look at last year's games:

Rd 1: Pretty ordinary against St George. Lost 12-34
Rd 2: Saved by the goal post padding. Won 24-20
Rd 3: Lucky to beat the Tigers. First win in history without scoring a try. Won 9-7
Rd 4: Gave up early tries against the Titans barely by the time I got to my seat. A game Wayne Bennett said, "We matched them after their first two tries." WTF!. Lost 14-26
Rd 5: Very ordinary against the Knights. Lost 10-15
Rd 6: Excellent performance away against the Warriors. Very unexpected. Won 27-18
Rd 7: Annual home loss to the Storm. Never in it. Lost 34-20.
Rd 8: Won against the Rabbitohs 24-20. Don't remember this game too much
Rd 9: Won against the Bulldogs with a controversial penalty. Won 22-20
Rd 10: Lost against a terrible Sea Eagles at Suncorp Stadium (away game). Lost 24-38
Rd 11: Great win at home against the Roosters, but did go down to the last minute and some Isaako magic. Won 28-22
Rd 12: Beat the bottom of the ladder Eels 18-10. Again, don't remember too much about this game.
Rd 14: Annual away loss to the Storm. Lost 16-32
Rd 15: Won 14-10 against the Sharks. Don't remember too much about this one.
Rd 16: Beat the Raiders with a 2nd half comeback. Down by two tries from memory. Won 26-22
Rd 17: Smashed the Titans without Origin players. Won 34-0.
Rd 18: Got brought back to earth by the Warriors with a terrible performance. Lost 26-26
Rd 19: Everything stuck against the Panthers. Excellent performance won 50-18.
Rd 20: 2 point win against the Sharks. Another one I don't remember too well. Won 12-10
Rd 21: Terrible performance against the lowly Bulldogs. Lost 22-36
Rd 22: A seesaw game against the Cowboys. Were lucky to be in this one for so long. Lost 30-34
Rd 23: Big win against Rabbitohs. Don't remember this one too much. Won 38-18
Rd 24: Impressive win against the Roosters. Won 22-8.
Rd 25: Big win against a checked-out Sea Eagles rabble. Won 48-16.

Just like the usuals will try to say that they are objective when it comes to talking about Bennett, but they're really not, and clearly not, but still think they are.

Most of those deals were done well before Bennett was ever leaving, and before Bennett was even having to come out and say "I'd like to stay".

You are Matt Johns.
Thanks... I think!

How quickly we forget how bad we were in some of our games. The home loss to the Warriors was terrible as was the loss to the Bulldogs. A lot of those losses very comparable to some of last year's losses. This is far from a worse team than last year.

Rd 3: Lucky to beat the Tigers. First win in history without scoring a try. Won 9-7
Rd 4: Gave up early tries against the Titans barely by the time I got to my seat. A game Wayne Bennett said, "We matched them after their first two tries." WTF!. Lost 14-26
Rd 6: Excellent performance away against the Warriors. Very unexpected. Won 27-18
Rd 10: Lost against a terrible Sea Eagles at Suncorp Stadium (away game). Lost 24-38
Rd 11: Great win at home against the Roosters, but did go down to the last minute and some Isaako magic. Won 28-22
Rd 12: Beat the bottom of the ladder Eels 18-10. Again, don't remember too much about this game.
Rd 16: Beat the Raiders with a 2nd half comeback. Down by two tries from memory. Won 26-22
Rd 18: Got brought back to earth by the Warriors with a terrible performance. Lost 26-26
Rd 20: 2 point win against the Sharks. Another one I don't remember too well. Won 12-10
Rd 22: A seesaw game against the Cowboys. Were lucky to be in this one for so long. Lost 30-34

I look forward to your round by round analysis next year.

But to be fair, aberration was definitely the wrong word to use.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Fitzy
  • Strop
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Manofoneway
  • broncos4life
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • LGH
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.