Seibold - 5 games in

Then the sooks need to be fucked off. If you are so soft that you can't even cop a spray from your own coach, you're too soft to play first grade.

I agree. But again, these are rumours, not confirmed fact.

WB also dropped Ben Hunt to reserve grade for a period there. I wanted Bennett gone, I'm not gonna lie about that. I am damn sure though if he was still here the team wouldn't be playing as diabolically as they are under Seibold.

What's to say he isn't just a one season wonder who managed to inherit a talented, well drilled souths team thanks to Michael Maguire? If we were going to replace WB, it is a proven premiership winning coach we should have chosen, not another fucking rookie coach! We had that chance and let it slip and his team fucking embarrassed us last night.
He dropped Ben Hunt after he signed with the dragons.... but WB isn't really the kind of bloke that would be spiteful or anything..
[cough] Hodgo [cough]

He then proceeded to merry go round the 7 jersey with Kodi, Jack and BHunt 2.0

It is crossing my mind if as a club we weren't really ready to move on from Wayne just yet. I do rate Seibold, but I do have a feeling he could be the right coach at the wrong time.
Yep... at the time I suggested Madge. I think I posted at the time that this team has been coached under basically the same methods for their whole career Bennett->Henjack->Hook->Bennett

I think the issue that has formed are the fundamentals behind the coaching. Bennett is easily the best man manager that rugby league has seen and by all accounts Griffin could be considered more a man manager than a tactician.

Bennett's coaching style appears to be more about attitude and mental strength rather than tactical breaking down of the opposition, but I would say that his actual tactics become stale if the mental aptitude isn't there.

I think these tactics are now ingrained at the broncos but the figurehead is no longer there.

We have a team that has literally never been taught in the arts of speeding up their ptb speed and conversely slowing down the opponent's.

Bennett teams fight to the end and even in 2015 it was our scramble defence and goal line defence that was the cornerstone. Go and look back at 2015 and there will be numerous mentions of "why do we have no line speed?" or "we constantly give up 60m sets". But Bennett teams bend rather than break.

We now have a coach who is versed in the modern style of football trying to teach a team, with almost none of the fundamentals, how to play football. He's basically starting from scratch (think about every player in this team and who's coached their whole first grade career).

Watch us try and defend and question why does every team tackle the legs but we have 3 guys up top (and still let the offload go)? Why do we allow quick ptb inside our own ten whereas other teams give away the penalty when they're in trouble? Why is it that we can't get anyone on their back to slow the ptb? Why do we have players lying all around the ruck with no markers? Why do we constantly get cut through the middle?

It's because this team has no idea how to play modern football.

Seibold knows how to play modern football, but he needs a strong leadership group that wants to win and are willing to accept that the ingrained style has to change for this team to be an actual threat

Yep... at the time I suggested Madge. I think I posted at the time that this team has been coached under basically the same methods for their whole career Bennett->Henjack->Hook->Bennett

I think the issue that has formed are the fundamentals behind the coaching. Bennett is easily the best man manager that rugby league has seen and by all accounts Griffin could be considered more a man manager than a tactician.

Bennett's coaching style appears to be more about attitude and mental strength rather than tactical breaking down of the opposition, but I would say that his actual tactics become stale if the mental aptitude isn't there.

I think these tactics are now ingrained at the broncos but the figurehead is no longer there.

We have a team that has literally never been taught in the arts of speeding up their ptb speed and conversely slowing down the opponent's.

Bennett teams fight to the end and even in 2015 it was our scramble defence and goal line defence that was the cornerstone. Go and look back at 2015 and there will be numerous mentions of "why do we have no line speed?" or "we constantly give up 60m sets". But Bennett teams bend rather than break.

We now have a coach who is versed in the modern style of football trying to teach a team, with almost none of the fundamentals, how to play football. He's basically starting from scratch (think about every player in this team and who's coached their whole first grade career).

Watch us try and defend and question why does every team tackle the legs but we have 3 guys up top (and still let the offload go)? Why do we allow quick ptb inside our own ten whereas other teams give away the penalty when they're in trouble? Why is it that we can't get anyone on their back to slow the ptb? Why do we have players lying all around the ruck with no markers? Why do we constantly get cut through the middle?

Seibold knows how to play modern football, but he needs a strong leadership group that wants to win and are willing to accept that the ingrained style has to change for this team to be an actual threat
Great post man, I totally agree.

Assuming that theory is correct, how long would it take for them to learn all those things? We have a large number of rookies who only just started playing FG, surely it's been taught to them by coaches who weren't Bennett?

Bennett did better with this squad, how do you explain that?

Simply and relatively no. We got our asses wiped by dragons in a semi at home. Mary McGregor outplayed WB........ , we struggled all year to defeat teams that should sit on the ladder below us. The fundamentals of the roster still haunt us with the exact same problems. Complacency and leadership offered to servants rather than performers.

WB was a great coach in an era before now, however in today game he has expired. He is probably great at managing players and people , but the game has moved past him. Our roster now proves this and results also do.

I might also remind you that last year's squad had more experience, something although we are lacking now, id much rather have the squad without such players for the sake of development.

Watch South Sydney by years end they will be a predictable tired and 70minute team.

Last edited:
Assuming that theory is correct, how long would it take for them to learn all those things? We have a large number of rookies who only just started playing FG, surely it's been taught to them by coaches who weren't Bennett?

Learning at this level is based on intensity. Some are naturally switched on to it, others will learn game by game. Speed of deicsions is the difference. Each player is different some will never be comfortable and always feel scattered under pressure.

Last edited:
Um, Bennett isn't coaching the Broncos any more, haven't you heard?

Geez really?!! I thought Wayne had just got himself a trendy haircut and his eyebrows done!

We have underachieved as a club for over ten years plus. We have lacked foresight in our recruitment and have stuck with players in key positions who are not capable of delivering a premiership.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Seibs needs to make some brave decisions and make some desperately needed changes to our line up rather than stating that we need to keep training harder. We can train as hard as we want but if the brains and skill aren't present we'll continue to get the same results.

Terrific post mate. Some real thought gone into it. The offloading with 3 in the tackle got me the other night with their first try. Was right in front of me. Most other teams are shutting that shit down.

Simply and relatively no. We got our asses wiped by dragons in a semi at home. Mary McGregor outplayed WB........ , we struggled all year to defeat teams that should sit on the ladder below us. The fundamentals of the roster still haunt us with the exact same problems. Complacency and leadership offered to servants rather than performers.

WB was a great coach in an era before now, however in today game he has expired. He is probably great at managing players and people , but the game has moved past him. Our roster now proves this and results also do.

I might also remind you that last year's squad had more experience, something although we are lacking now, id much rather have the squad without such players for the sake of development.

Watch South Sydney by years end they will be a predictable tired and 70minute team.

For everything you posted there about Bennett, we finished one win behind the minor premiers and grand final winners with a side that had a fair few injuries. That doesnt scream to me we had a coach who didnt know what he was doing in the modern game.

You can’t blame the coach for the ill discipline and the schoolboy errors we keep making. If Issako doesn’t drop the ball with a open line against the dragons and we don’t bomb 3 try’s against the Tigers we’d be 3/5. One thing I am blaming the coach for is he keeps picking Macca at 9. They guy would have the worst pass and be slowest 9 in the comp. Never gets the forwards over the advantage line. Never engages the markers and keeps throwing shit passes to the halves.

For everything you posted there about Bennett, we finished one win behind the minor premiers and grand final winners with a side that had a fair few injuries. That doesnt scream to me we had a coach who didnt know what he was doing in the modern game.

Not 100% but I think he had the second highest win percentage as coach between 15-18 behind Bellamy. Probably not that out of touch.

I am sick of finishing 3-6...seibold may or may not work but ffs I was over no premiership.

When are you Bennett loyalists going to come to terms with the fact it didn't work. Bennett IS the greatest coach of all time, and seibold may or may not work, but...

We are the fucking broncos. We aren't in the business of being near the top, we win fucking premierships!
Whether seibold works or not and bennett wins 3 premierships with souffs I WILL STILL applaud the club for trying something new and trying to put a stop to year on year mediocrity we were seeing. We win premierships! Outside of that I don't give a **** what happens

if we win our next 2 games against the Raiders and Sharks we are in exactly the same position as Bennett had us last year

But even if that happens we will still be worse off in the trolls eyes because of the vibe, or some look in Seibold’s eyes, or some other intangible that people make up.

But even if that happens we will still be worse off in the trolls eyes because of the vibe, or some look in Seibold’s eyes, or some other intangible that people make up.

If that happens we’ll have had to have played well. So we might go a little easier on the bloke.

I am sick of finishing 3-6...seibold may or may not work but ffs I was over no premiership.

When are you Bennett loyalists going to come to terms with the fact it didn't work. Bennett IS the greatest coach of all time, and seibold may or may not work, but...

We are the fucking broncos. We aren't in the business of being near the top, we win fucking premierships!
Whether seibold works or not and bennett wins 3 premierships with souffs I WILL STILL applaud the club for trying something new and trying to put a stop to year on year mediocrity we were seeing. We win premierships! Outside of that I don't give a **** what happens

I'm not a Bennett loyalist at all, but at the same time i'm sick of all you anti Bennett brigade trying to rewrite history and make out like we were failing under him. Apparently he doesnt know the modern game, which is absolute bullshit. Also, how can we be mediocre when we havent finished in the middle of the table since he came back in 2015? 6th is the lowest we finished under Bennett since 2015, and even then we finished one win from being level with the top side. That isnt the definition of mediocre. Talking about winning premierships, in that regard, you are right, it didnt work under Bennetts second coming. We came close, but no trophy. At the same time, he did a fair bit right. He got our junior recruitment back on track and got us challenging again.

I hope Seibold works and as yet, despite the criticisms i have of how he is handling things right now, i havent made up my mind about him, its just too early. I'm 100% sure though under Bennett we would be doing a whole lot better right now. Its going to be interesting to see if they keep backing Seibold if we dont make the top 8. At the moment, we arent even mediocre.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Swordfish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Midean
  • Skyblues87
  • Hurrijo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bongo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.