Seibold - 5 games in

Yeah sign Taylor after Bennett released him a year early lol. And we still haven't bought anyone after missing out on Taylor. If you think our recruitment and retention has been good you're clueless.
I dont think Bellamy is in Bennetts league. He is fantastic in Melbourne, but outside of there he hasnt been great. Bennett has been good everywhere, Broncos, St George, New Zealand, England, QLD and even NEwcastle to a point. The Newcastle saga wasnt all down to him, there are plenty of good articles about it if you want to educate yourself on what really went on with Tinkler there.

I also dont think you can use the argument of great players with Bennett and not apply it to Bellamy. He has been able to lean on the greatest game manager and most influential player the NRL has ever seen.

Again, you are rewriting history. We didnt sign Bird at the expense of a halfback. Thats absolutle nonsense. We signed Bird at the same time we were trying to sign Ash Taylor. It wasnt one or the other. Bennett is also the one who identified we were missing out on the top young players. Now look at us, we have some really top line talent thanks to either him or systems he put in place. How can it not have been good in the past few years? We have Carrigan, Haas, Staggs, Flegler, Dearden, TPJ, Lodge and many others here now one way or another because of Bennett.

Another 13 years of finishing 3-6...fantastic... I'd happily miss the finals if it gives the place a clean out of the mediocrity we have come to accept

We have a fantastic pack and it will be the best in the comp in years to come even if we lose quality players in order to make signings to fill our weak links in the spine. People at the Broncos (and on this forum too) seem to be adamantly against signing a 24 year old form half in form of Moses who has taken a shit house club to the top 4 one year and looks like he’s helped turn them into contenders again. That’s without mentioning that blokes like Hunt, Milford, Munster (worth it at FB, but as a half his deficiencies are masked by playing in the Storm wrestling system/ with Smith calling the shots), Norman, and Taylor are on a million+ dollars, or close to it, and he’d cost us way under that despite having more to his game.

Yeah sign Taylor after Bennett released him a year early lol. And we still haven't bought anyone after missing out on Taylor. If you think our recruitment and retention has been good you're clueless.

Well, i know more than you, thats not even debatable.

Bennett let Ash go because he was ready to play, but we better options at the time. He did the right thing. Nobody on the planet would have expected the Titans to throw such ridiculous money at him. But like i said, you are making shit up in your mind if you think we signed Bird at the expense of a halfback. The evidence is clearly out there that it wasnt the case.

TPJ. Came here because of Bennett.
Lodge. Came here because of Bennett.
Haas. Came here because of Bennett.
Roberts. Came here because of Bennett.

I think you get the picture, dont really need to carry on listing them. Since he returned, he made our recruitment much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
We already have Milf on huge overs, I'm glad we don't have Taylor on huge overs too.

Well, i know more than a muppet like you, thats not even debatable.

Bennett let Ash go because he was ready to play, but we better options at the time. He did the right thing. Nobody on the planet would have expected the Titans to throw such ridiculous money at him. But like i said, you are making shit up in your tiny mind if you think we signed Bird at the expense of a halfback. The evidence is clearly out there that it wasnt the case.

I think you get the picture, dont really need to carry on listing them. Since he returned, he made our recruitment much better.
To be fair TPJ has had more bad ones that good. Lodge has been fine but hasn't set the world alight, Haas was always going to come here. I met him multiple times at keebra and from everything I saw him and Fifita were always wanting to be at the Broncos.

What is it with you and just being so in love with people that they can't do wrong. Every expert and most fans have been calling for a halfback since 2015. We still don't have one. We have a million forwards, none of which besides Gillett and Glenn have achieved anything at all in the game and a backline full of stuck up kids who think they are the best.

Well, i know more than a muppet like you, thats not even debatable.

Bennett let Ash go because he was ready to play, but we better options at the time. He did the right thing. Nobody on the planet would have expected the Titans to throw such ridiculous money at him. But like i said, you are making shit up in your tiny mind if you think we signed Bird at the expense of a halfback. The evidence is clearly out there that it wasnt the case.

Also, you said bird wasn't at the expense of a halfback. So with the money we had left where did that go? I mean we didn't get anyone else suitable.

I am not going to come down on Siebs for a few seasons at least. The guy can only play with the hand he has got. From my unserstanding a lot of the players people want to take over in the spine can't due to them being in the development level and not part of the 30. Also they are young and have very few games vs men. Its ok to have one or two of those in your team but not more then half. Our pack is in that situation and to end up with our spine in that situation would end up with us being in a Knights situation from the last few years.

I am actually starting to see what people have said about Wayne leaving Newcastle/ st george in poor shape.

We already have Milf on huge overs, I'm glad we don't have Taylor on huge overs too.

Current season overs yes.

In his first year on big money he was our player of the year.

I am not going to come down on Siebs for a few seasons at least. The guy can only play with the hand he has got. From my unserstanding a lot of the players people want to take over in the spine can't due to them being in the development level and not part of the 30. Also they are young and have very few games vs men. Its ok to have one or two of those in your team but not more then half. Our pack is in that situation and to end up with our spine in that situation would end up with us being in a Knights situation from the last few years.

I am actually starting to see what people have said about Wayne leaving Newcastle/ st george in poor shape.
Better delete your comment before Wolfie sees it. Wayne Bennett is clearly a mastermind, he signed Pat Carrigan who is the best player of all time and had the greatest debut ever...

Also, you said bird wasn't at the expense of a halfback. So with the money we had left where did that go? I mean we didn't get anyone else suitable.

Off the top of my head, i couldnt tell you where it went. Without having a look, i'd say it went on upgrading some other contracts.

Lodge has been more than fine, TPJ doesnt play more bad games than good ones either, he just doesnt play to his absolute potential enough.

Who are these backline kids who think they cant do wrong. Issako might be playing poorly, but his attitude is spot on, he works very hard on his game and kicking at training. Boyd, Bird and Oates arent kids. Staggs again is like Issako, his attitude is fine.

As for Fifita and Haas, Payne has made it clear he is here because of Bennett, Fifita i just dont know. But you saying they were always coming to the Broncos, why was that. Wonder if they would be feeling the same if we had Ivan Henjak for a coach?

And i'm not quite sure who i dont think can do any wrong. There are things i think Bennett has got wrong in the past. Apart from myself, nobody is perfect.

For mine, as BoncsFan posted, a team's success or otherwise, isn't just, or even, simply down to an individual or two to blame, then drop and make changes as a fix, the issue is the way the team plays as a whole: shape, structures, the halves, the hooker, ptbs, what you do off the ball, and of course defence. Then there is attitude, support play, halves running off supports etc etc.

Seibold has a lot to work on and after 12 years of doing things the same more or less, change isn't going to be instantaneous, and progress will be gradual, which I am seeing now although of course, as a loyal supporter, I would like to see those changes and successes NOW.

As I said, I am cutting Seibold some slack and being patient. He has a lot to work on, especially with halves who have inherited a style of play as a combination, and individually which is less than ah, optimal, along with a very young forward pack brimming with talent but not experience.

Well said.. My concern is we are sticking with two guys in our halves who are gifted and instinctive players but naturally quiet blokes who struggle to communicate both in attack and defence. At a time when we so desperately need someone barking orders so that the young blokes know when and where to be to get our desired shape our two blokes aren't doing any talking whatsoever.

If we are to be any chance of reaching our realistic full potential then we need a half (even if it's a another Perry!) to get our team around the park and directing our young fellas.

Current season overs yes.

In his first year on big money he was our player of the year.

He was our player of the year in 2018 too... So in his 4 years at the club he has won our best player award twice?

Yep, by all means, as the popular consensus seems to be, get rid of him... Lol

Last edited:

There was a great article by Crawley?? i think it was that pretty much debunks every myth about Bennetts time at Newcastle.

Seibs has a great squad to work with, we dont need a complete overhaul, he has enough here currently to challenge. With a halfback, we could quite easily win the thing.

Interested to know who you think in our development squad is ready to make the step up. From my understanding, Dearden is probably it right now, possibly Turpin, and if we wanted i think we could promote them both. Thats a call left to the coach.

Yes mate I actually do. Just my opinion or can’t we have one like you? If we had a 9 with some speed and creativity we wouldn’t be 1-4

“Never gets the forwards over the advantage line”, and “never engages the markets” isn’t an opinion. It’s lies that you’ve fabricated in order to justify your opinion.

“Never gets the forwards over the advantage line”, and “never engages the markets” isn’t an opinion. It’s lies that you’ve fabricated in order to justify your opinion.

Haha No lies here Mate just seeing it how it is, obviously you don’t watch the game. Watch the game from Thursday night the amount of shit passes he throws when we are attacking the line. The guys a snail, been a great clubman but time to get a fast creative 9

Simply and relatively no. We got our asses wiped by dragons in a semi at home. Mary McGregor outplayed WB........ , we struggled all year to defeat teams that should sit on the ladder below us. The fundamentals of the roster still haunt us with the exact same problems. Complacency and leadership offered to servants rather than performers.

WB was a great coach in an era before now, however in today game he has expired. He is probably great at managing players and people , but the game has moved past him. Our roster now proves this and results also do.

I might also remind you that last year's squad had more experience, something although we are lacking now, id much rather have the squad without such players for the sake of development.

Watch South Sydney by years end they will be a predictable tired and 70minute team.
Appreciate your thoughts but if WB was that much of an anachronism how is it that he was the second most successful coach of the last 5 years ? I may be wrong about that but I don't think so. I'm not sorry he moved on because last years poor defence was on him but I wished he'd been allowed to finish his contract but no matter, that's not what this post is really about.

Appreciate your thoughts but if WB was that much of an anachronism how is it that he was the second most successful coach of the last 5 years ? I may be wrong about that but I don't think so. I'm not sorry he moved on because last years poor defence was on him but I wished he'd been allowed to finish his contract but no matter, that's not what this post is really about.
Just wondering what you're basing that on? Is it win percentage?

I think a better metric would be finals related and he would have to be third or fourth in that regard. Goes without saying that Bellamy and Robinson would be above him, possibly even flanagan and Green.

Haha No lies here Mate just seeing it how it is, obviously you don’t watch the game. Watch the game from Thursday night the amount of shit passes he throws when we are attacking the line. The guys a snail, been a great clubman but time to get a fast creative 9

What do you think the advantage line is?

Active Now

• Astro
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Griffo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • Lurker
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fatboy
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • Browny
  • Midean
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.