Seibold General Discussion

Have said before if we can get rid of Boyd and Macca by the start of next year it should be considered a major success. If they are still being picked 6 rounds into next season then I will have lost faith. And yes, Seibold was left some duds by our previous coach, particularly the captain and fullback who seemed unwilling to attempt tackles until he started being phased out.

He was left some duds but he was also left some absolute top quality guns

Put it this way, if you wiped my memory of 2018 and our season was instead, say the Tigers and the rumours were we wanted that guy named Seibold from the Tigers, I'd think it was a joke.

Ultimately he needs to bring an actual coaching style to the club. The Rabbitohs had one of the most fluent attacks last year that was beautiful to watch but with each passing week I'm starting to wonder how much of that was on Cook, Walker and Reynolds rather than the coaching because I've seen absolutely zero improvement to our attack.
As I said in another thread, maybe our lot can't follow a game plan to save their fucking lives and aren't as good as we think they are. Bennett couldn't really get them playing to a nice fluent structure either and it most of the time it came down to a bit of individual brilliance from Roberts. Milf or Niko.

I'm on the fence with Seibold and not sure what to think at the moment. I'll give him a pre-season and fair chunk of next year to decide if I like him or not. I really want him to succeed, but still can't decide whether our team is just dog shit and the players we've been pinning our hopes on for years just haven't got it or it's his coaching.

At the very, very least he HAS to take the captaincy off Boyd after this season. My preference is to import a captain, but if that can't be done give it to Lodge. He is the only suitable candidate.

Wayne Bennett didn't make the finals in his first two years as coach with a side containing the likes of Greg Conescu, Greg Dowling, Michael Hancock, Chris Johns, Joe Kilroy, Allan Langer, Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Kerrod Walters and more.

Sometimes it takes time to build a competitive side. Seibold was not brought here to tweak things.
There's still plenty of questions that need to be asked, I understand that the situation isn't perfect but come on . Nothing has improved, if anything were going backwards. I'm happy to give him another season and obviously our halves situation isn't helping, but we really need to see some improvement to get behind him.
[automerge]1565393206[/automerge]
Tends to happen when you keep getting injuries in key positions.
Can understand that but that shit we served up the other night was a disgrace.

Last edited:
There's still plenty of questions that need to be asked, I understand that the situation isn't perfect but come on . Nothing has improved, if anything were going backwards. I'm happy to give him another season and obviously our halves situation isn't helping, but we really need to see some improvement to get behind him.
Yeah, exactly. When you've got a young team, you just need to get back to basics and do the little things right. Maybe our game plan is just to advanced for some of these guys as it looks like some of them have no fucking idea.

At the very, very least he HAS to take the captaincy off Boyd after this season. My preference is to import a captain, but if that can't be done give it to Lodge. He is the only suitable candidate.

Boyd won’t be captain but it’ll most likely be Macca.

ffs

Yeah, exactly. When you've got a young team, you just need to get back to basics and do the little things right. Maybe our game plan is just to advanced for some of these guys as it looks like some of them have no fucking idea.

Playing three spine players out of position probably doesn’t help any ‘game plan’ we have

Playing three spine players out of position probably doesn’t help any ‘game plan’ we have
I have to say that I'm not a fan of Seibold's explanation on why Turpin and Boyd will stay on in the halves for the foreseeable future. Just because they've only lost 1 game out of our last 6 doesn't mean it is working. That on Thursday night was an abomination and should be the last we see of the Turpin/Boyd halves combo if others are back from injury.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of Seibold's explanation on why Turpin and Boyd will stay on in the halves for the foreseeable future. Just because they've only lost 1 game out of our last 6 doesn't mean it is working. That on Thursday night was an abomination and should be the last we see of the Turpin/Boyd halves combo if others are back from injury.
Did Seibold actually say that Turpin and Boyd will definitely be our halves combo for the foreseeable future ? I must have missed that quote [emoji848]

If that is the case then i cant really see the benefit to the side moving forward.

Boyd really needs to be moved to the centres if Dearden and/or SOS are fit enough to be back in the top side.

Manly this year? If so, not exactly a worst injury toll.. And even when they were suffering the worst of their injuries, they weren't exactly winning games. Less than 50% by my count.

Cowboys were a complete rabble when they lost both of them, winning 6 from 17 games and made it in the finals due to results. They went on a bit of run when they weren't suffering injuries anymore. That was one of the rare ones. You get those every now and then.

But yeah, you can use injuries as an excuse especially with such a young and inexperienced side. The constant chopping and changing when you're losing key players. If anyone actually expected us to be doing better than what we are, they are naive.

Seibold has to field some of the blame. But to put it all on him? No, that's fucking absurd.
Not all but most.

Tends to happen when you keep getting injuries in key positions.
The injury to Macca was the best thing that happened to the club this season (sorry Macca, no one wished that pain on you, but...). We played our best football with the key position of dummy half out injured. Had Macca not been injured Turpin would probably still be playing in the QLD Cup.

Last edited:
What a gigantic load of bullshit.
It's not how long injuries are, but how disruptive they are, that counts. We've had nothing but injury and instability issues with the most important area of the team: the spine.
Besides, Cowboys and Manly had important people missing out, but had a very experienced team on the park otherwise. We're missing a capable half after most have dropped like flies, have our most promising hooker playing halfback, a clueless 5/8 who also happens to be our captain, and to top it off, one of the youngest and most inexperienced teams in the comp.

People complaining about lack of cohesion, game plan, clunky attack, etc... either clearly think this is possible with such disruption, or have an ulterior agenda... which one are you?
Who has the agenda? It's still excuses. All of what you said is true, but there's nothing improving. It's been seibolds decisions to play certain players in their positions and it's his game plan. From what I've seen in the last few weeks is regression and if it doesn't get better with a few players coming back from injury, big question marks on his coaching.

Who has the agenda? It's still excuses. All of what you said is true, but there's nothing improving. It's been seibolds decisions to play certain players in their positions and it's his game plan. From what I've seen in the last few weeks is regression and if it doesn't get better with a few players coming back from injury, big question marks on his coaching.

You are right there is regression, but i believe its because of players like Boyd stinking it up, relative to his paycheck, position and captaincy.

Seibs is hamstrung with politics and balance this season. His real opportunity comes before next season to move Boyd and Macca on.

We also have 1.1mill tied up in Boyd and Macca, who aren't benefiting the team in any way.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Santa
  • azza.79
  • Lurker
  • Jazza
  • Ozired
  • ChewThePhatt
  • leon.bott
  • Johnny92
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • broncoscope
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.