Seibold General Discussion

If Brisbane were missing halves of the calibre of Johnathan Thurston and Daly Cherry-Evans then I would agree. However, with all due respect to Tom Dearden and Sean O'Sullivan, we're not even sure if they're NRL standard players yet.

Seibold may not have been dealt the best hand, but he's got to accept some responsibility for the state of the spine. He made a ballsy call surrounding Nikorima and at this stage, it hasn't paid off. There is still an air of uncertainty surrounding the halves moving forward and Seibold hasn't made any indication of how he plans to fix it.

There's a lot that can be written about this season and the state of the Broncos under Seibold's coaching. However, I don't think he can use injuries as an excuse especially when others have had it worse and performed better. In fairness to Seibold, I haven't seen him use injuries as an excuse and clearly there's bigger issues plaguing the side at the moment.
100% Pete. Looking at the guys who were injured, it strikes me as at best a convenient way to reach for some false hope and otherwise a cycnical exercise in blame-shifting.

If Brisbane were missing halves of the calibre of Johnathan Thurston and Daly Cherry-Evans then I would agree. However, with all due respect to Tom Dearden and Sean O'Sullivan, we're not even sure if they're NRL standard players yet.

Seibold may not have been dealt the best hand, but he's got to accept some responsibility for the state of the spine. He made a ballsy call surrounding Nikorima and at this stage, it hasn't paid off. There is still an air of uncertainty surrounding the halves moving forward and Seibold hasn't made any indication of how he plans to fix it.

There's a lot that can be written about this season and the state of the Broncos under Seibold's coaching. However, I don't think he can use injuries as an excuse especially when others have had it worse and performed better. In fairness to Seibold, I haven't seen him use injuries as an excuse and clearly there's bigger issues plaguing the side at the moment.

Sorry to be daft but genuine question, which teams have played with MORE injuries consistently throughout this season, particularly to halves and done better?

I can get the Manly one obviously but am I missing someone else?

I think Siebs has had a somewhat bipolar year coaching. Some games he has looked like he’s taken steps in the right direction only to then seemingly undo his own good work.

Here are a few case in points:

Shifting Staggs to the right - winner
Shifting TPJ to 12 - winner
Starting Haas - winner
Punting Jimmy - winner
Re-signing Lodge, Turps and TPJ longer term - winner (depending on wage)
Milf to fb - winner with an asterisk as this would have been brilliant if KNik was still there but he isn’t

Persisting with Boyd in the team - loser
Playing Boyd and Turps in the halves - yes they’ve gone ok but I’m gonna put this as a negative as this is to accommodate the two worst players in the team - loser
Persisting with Macca at 9 - loser
Persisting with Shiba - loser
Bench rotation - loser-then winner-now loser again

Remains to be seen:

Letting go KNik
Letting go T.Boyd
Team Structure - hard to know with no halves out there

Sorry to be daft but genuine question, which teams have played with MORE injuries consistently throughout this season, particularly to halves and done better?

There's been a few over recent history, like the Cowboys in 2017 for instance. However to really give you a sufficient answer, I'd have to know what you mean by more and better. Better relative to when? The season in general? Or after 20 games?

I don't have an issue with this. Seibold is trying to build a team and a part of that is giving players an opportunity to fit in. Shibasaki hasn't made the most of it, but I'd much sooner see him there than an Alex Glenn or a David Fifita who are merely stop gap options.

I saw a lot of 'I told you sos' being thrown around about Gehamat. I don't think anyone is calling him a future superstar or anything crazy, they just wanted to see an actual outside back so the club has some idea on what to do moving forward. We've all seen it where a club assures us that they've got this gun young kid coming through the grades, only for them to hit first grade and they're not up to it. It's better to know now than next year.

Last edited:
There's been a few over recent history, like the Cowboys in 2017 for instance. However to really give you a sufficient answer, I'd have to know what you mean by more and better. Better relative to when? The season in general? Or after 20 games?

I don't have an issue with this. Seibold is trying to build a team and a part of that is giving players an opportunity to fit in. Shibasaki hasn't made the most of it, but I'd much sooner see him there than an Alex Glenn or a David Fifita who are merely stop gap options.

Glenn and Fifita aren’t dropping the ball every time they play first grade. I’m still yet to see any positive that Shiba may have outweigh his negatives so far. Until he can get through a game without dropping the ball, most of time in crucial field positions or plays, and his errors being the most noteworthy thing he does in a game, then he doesn’t deserve any notion of incumbency unless we literally have no other options. ie he’s player #30

Last edited:

I think Siebs has had a somewhat bipolar year coaching. Some games he has looked like he’s taken steps in the right direction only to then seemingly undo his own good work.

Starting Haas - winner
Punting Jimmy - winner
Milf to fb - winner with an asterisk as this would have been brilliant if KNik was still there but he isn’t

Playing Boyd and Turps in the halves - yes they’ve gone ok but I’m gonna put this as a negative as this is to accommodate the two worst players in the team - loser

Remains to be seen:

Letting go KNik
Letting go T.Boyd
Signing Segy: winner
Barely using him: loser

Starting Haas - winner
Punting Jimmy - winner

Remains to be seen:

Letting go KNik
Letting go T.Boyd

T Boyd going to the titans is his own mistake.

I saw a lot of 'I told you sos' being thrown around about Gehamat. I don't think anyone is calling him a future superstar or anything crazy, they just wanted to see an actual outside back so the club has some idea on what to do moving forward. We've all seen it where a club assures us that they've got this gun young kid coming through the grades, only for them to hit first grade and they're not up to it. It's better to know now than next year.
Can't agree with the Cows example. They only even made the finals because of other results after losing most of their last round games. Then every single team they played in the finals shit the bed bigtime. It was an anomaly of the greatest proportions, the run the 2017 cows made in the finals.

Glenn and Fifita aren’t dropping the ball every time they play first grade. I’m still yet to see any positive that Shiba may have outweigh his negatives so far. Until he can get through a game without dropping the ball, most of time in crucial field positions or plays, and his errors being the most noteworthy thing he does in a game, then he doesn’t deserve any notion of incumbency unless we literally have no other options. ie he’s player #30

As I said, nobody is calling him a future superstar. However, I don't think Seibold is to blame for giving a young outside back he inherited a decent opportunity in first grade, especially when the club is bereft of options. It's a part of the learning process and just figuring out what to do with the squad moving forward.

Tom said:
Can't agree with the Cows example. They only even made the finals because of other results after losing most of their last round games. Then every single team they played in the finals shit the bed bigtime. It was an anomaly of the greatest proportions, the run the 2017 cows made in the finals.

The conversation surrounding their season certainly changed after that post-season and that's a luxury that can't be afforded to the Broncos just yet. However, they still played quality footballl in their own right and qualified for the grand final. Considering the criteria was an injury toll resembling Brisbane's from 2019 and doing well, I'd say 2 from 16 certainly qualifies.

Bradbury.

Circumventing the block function 🤭

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • TimWhatley
  • Johnny92
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • bazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mick_Hancock
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.