Seibold General Discussion

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
What? Blaming 2 seasons of mediocrity on 1 player. Who from memory completely outplayed his halves partner for the 1st half of '16. Yeah, I agree.
Perhaps you'll be able to point out where "Bennett us[ed] Ben Hunt as an excuse for his subsequent failure and inability to reach his stated goals."

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Perhaps you'll be able to point out where "Bennett us[ed] Ben Hunt as an excuse for his subsequent failure and inability to reach his stated goals."
I appreciate that you’re a smart guy with a really strong footy brain, but I feel you are being pulled into a binary argument that actually doesn’t shed any light. Don’t you agree that the issues are deeper than who coaches?

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
I never said Bennett did.
We did go close, didn't we. Until we went away from what had been working all season in the last half of footy that season. I expect more from Bennett, using Ben Hunt as an excuse for his subsequent failure and inability to reach his stated goals is a really, really, really cheap copout.

I appreciate that you’re a smart guy with a really strong footy brain, but I feel you are being pulled into a binary argument that actually doesn’t shed any light. Don’t you agree that the issues are deeper than who coaches?
Flattery will get you everywhere mate. A handsome, hard working genius like myself is typically above the Bennett/Siebold malarkey, it's been stale for aeons.

But seriously it gets frustrating to see any criticism of our current coach, regardless of validity, turned into "well Bennett was shit in 201x." I try to reread my posts a couple of times and end up deleting a fair chunk because it's just adding heat and no light, but ones like I quoted just aren't helpful. Having a dig at a guy who stopped coaching us last year for something he actually didn't say or do doesn't advance anyone's knowledge or help with the current issues we're facing.

Since I'm pouring on a shitload of words that may or may not be of any use or interest, the implication (or at least what I'd see implied there, maybe it's not meant that way) in the first part of Tom's quote isn't correct either. It's widely proclaimed that Wayne told the team to shut up shop and try to just hold the Cowboys out in the second half but Sam Thaiday (iirc) actually addressed this in his book and stated unambiguously that this was not the case. But just like memes about Boyd following Daddy to the Dragons it's probably a bit too late to knock this one on the head.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Flattery will get you everywhere mate. A handsome, hard working genius like myself is typically above the Bennett/Siebold malarkey, it's been stale for aeons.

But seriously it gets frustrating to see any criticism of our current coach, regardless of validity, turned into "well Bennett was shit in 201x." I try to reread my posts a couple of times and end up deleting a fair chunk because it's just adding heat and no light, but ones like I quoted just aren't helpful. Having a dig at a guy who stopped coaching us last year for something he actually didn't say or do doesn't advance anyone's knowledge or help with the current issues we're facing.

Since I'm pouring on a shitload of words that may or may not be of any use or interest, the implication (or at least what I'd see implied there, maybe it's not meant that way) in the first part of Tom's quote isn't correct either. It's widely proclaimed that Wayne told the team to shut up shop and try to just hold the Cowboys out in the second half but Sam Thaiday (iirc) actually addressed this in his book and stated unambiguously that this was not the case. But just like memes about Boyd following Daddy to the Dragons it's probably a bit too late to knock this one on the head.
Yeah I was talking about Broncsgoat, the guy I was replying to. I can see how it could be read like that though.

So who does Thaiday(?) blame it on. Looked like a gameplan to me, whose fault if not the coach's?

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba

I honestly can’t comment because I haven’t read Sam’s book, but either way, it’s not about one game.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Yeah I was talking about Broncsgoat, the guy I was replying to. I can see how it could be read like that though.

So who does Thaiday(?) blame it on. Looked like a gameplan to me, whose fault if not the coach's?
We were getting absolutely stomped on by the Kangaroos starting props and the best lock in the world, with a forward pack that included Mitchell Dodds. We were getting smashed on both sides of the ball. Sometimes it's not about blame mate.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
We were getting absolutely stomped on by the Kangaroos starting props and the best lock in the world, with a forward pack that included Mitchell Dodds. We were getting smashed on both sides of the ball. Sometimes it's not about blame mate.
Unless it's blaming Hunt for 16\17.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
I honestly can’t comment because I haven’t read Sam’s book, but either way, it’s not about one game.
Don’t waste your time. One of the worst football books I’ve ever read. Plenty of controversy in Sam’s career and he hardly touches on any of them, if he even mentions them at all.

Was complete rubbish.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Don’t waste your time. One of the worst football books I’ve ever read. Plenty of controversy in Sam’s career and he hardly touches on any of them, if he even mentions them at all.

Was complete rubbish.
Kind of like Lockyer's book when he talks about the Petero stuff up. He said it was a mess and that was basically it.

Maddy1to9

QCup Player
He also wasn’t able to get the team right for games we were expected to win last year.
We still have it in us even after Wayne gone. We ( I certainly) expected us to win games against Dragqueens, Tigers & Titans (@Suncorp) this season) instead we lost due to poor effort & the team taking those games for granted. On the contrary, the team SHOULDN'T take a L for granted when playing against Storm cheaters. Seibold should address these at the earliest and make the boys turn up week in week out.

It's the performance, attitude and grit that gets us the win not just by turning up on the field on game day.

Last edited:

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
We still have it in us even after Wayne gone. We ( I certainly) expected us to win games against Dragqueens, Tigers & Titans (@Suncorp) this season) instead we lost due to poor effort & the team taking those games for granted. On the contrary, the team SHOULDN'T take a L for granted when playing against Storm cheaters. Seibold should address these at the earliest and make the boys turn up week in week out.

It's the performance, attitude and grit that gets us the win not just by turning up on the field on game day.
You can add the bulldogs to that list

raveenkari

QCup Player
If we're looking at who to blame for our current predicament lets look directly at our management, ie Paul White. okay and maybe Wayne too.

1. He green-lit Boyd re-signing. Which has lead to a broken spine
2. Totally shat the bed hard with the whole coaching situation.
3. Buying Bird instead of using the money on the current squad or buying a 6.

Seibold (imo) is trying the best he can with what hes got, which is a great forward pack with Alex McKinnon for a spine.

Lets see what happens in the off-season with regards to Boyd then we can start to scrutinize Seibold

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
If we're looking at who to blame for our current predicament lets look directly at our management, ie Paul White. okay and maybe Wayne too.

Seibold (imo) is trying the best he can with what hes got, which is a great forward pack with Alex McKinnon for a spine.

Lets see what happens in the off-season with regards to Boyd then we can start to scrutinize Seibold
You forgot Seibold.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
So you've drawn a line through 2019 because a coach gets a year to muster up courage?

Boyd deserves a testimonial match. You don't quietly sack your captain in the off season.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
It’s hard to absolve Siebold of responsibility. He was bought in to make changes one would imagine and he hasn’t made many of the hard ones.

Roberts and Su’A were fairly straight forward. KNik was forced and in hindsight, not the smartest move if he was planning to move Milf to FB. KNik would have been a FAR better half than either Boyd or Turps. The answer at hooker just re-signed but can’t get a game there.

There is a half available who has also looked ok who keeps getting shunted for two guys who have looked far from ok even in the halves for the most part.

There are several very underperforming older heads who seem to be unaccountable and a few young kids who seem to be screaming out for a shot in a dysfunctional back line but can’t get a decent shot over a number of other blokes who are struggling.

It is really hard to see any structure and any time there does seem to be progress, the side regresses alarmingly the very next game and it makes one wonder where the previous week came from.

It is hard to see many positives in terms of what you would expect to be a result of coaching.

Some of the kids do seem to be progressing but is it because of the coach or in spite of him?

I’ve never wavered on giving the guy two seasons and can see excuses for the season for sure but next year changes need to be evident.

ostin86

QCup Player
It’s hard to absolve Siebold of responsibility. He was bought in to make changes one would imagine and he hasn’t made many of the hard ones.

Roberts and Su’A were fairly straight forward. KNik was forced and in hindsight, not the smartest move if he was planning to move Milf to FB. KNik would have been a FAR better half than either Boyd or Turps. The answer at hooker just re-signed but can’t get a game there.

There is a half available who has also looked ok who keeps getting shunted for two guys who have looked far from ok even in the halves for the most part.

There are several very underperforming older heads who seem to be unaccountable and a few young kids who seem to be screaming out for a shot in a dysfunctional back line but can’t get a decent shot over a number of other blokes who are struggling.

It is really hard to see any structure and any time there does seem to be progress, the side regresses alarmingly the very next game and it makes one wonder where the previous week came from.

It is hard to see many positives in terms of what you would expect to be a result of coaching.

Some of the kids do seem to be progressing but is it because of the coach or in spite of him?

I’ve never wavered on giving the guy two seasons and can see excuses for the season for sure but next year changes need to be evident.
Yeah I don't think it will take us long next year to find out if Seibold is up to it.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff

1. Boyd was the Australian fullback when re-signed ... no-one could have predicted he would have fallen so far, so fast. although 4 years was too long a contract

2. if we didn't make the change in the off season, then all that would have happened is that we delayed this season by 12 months. complete renovating a teams styles, structures and players takes time ... our injuries in the halves didn't help things

3. at the time of signing Bird, we were chasing a half, it's not the fault of anyone at the Broncos (White, Bennett etc) that the kid decided to destroy his career by taking the Titans massive overs. once that signing fell through, the money was used to retain and upgrade some of our existing squad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter