Seibold General Discussion

2015 - Made the GF
2016 - Knocked out in week 2
2017 - Knocked out in week 3
2018 - Knocked out in week 1
2019 - Knocked out in week 1

Teams of the calibre of the Broncos should have 3 goals when starting a season -

1) Make the Finals
2) Make the Grand Final
3) Win the Grand Final

Every season post-2015 only accomplished step 1 of those goals, we should view them as equal failures. Getting hung up on the regular season win/loss record is pretty arbitrary, there's so many factors that can contribute to your record, i.e - injuries, suspensions, personal departures / additions, the draw (we had comfortably the hardest draw in the NRL this season according to the algorithm Fox Sports used), Origin mental / physical toll, etc, among so many other things.

I have a reasonable amount of confidence that our record will be better in 2020, and that we're going to make it further than week 1 of the finals. If one of those things doesn't happen, we can start worrying about Seibold as a coach. Because in reality, at the moment, he's dead even with Bennett in terms of the Broncos performances in the finals in the last 2 seasons, absolutely piss poor.
you would hope our record would improve on a 45% win rate

we were inconsistent last year as well, playing well against good teams (sans storm) and poorly against bad teams. Despite my protestations to begin the season I had hoped we would improve we didn’t.

perhaps you’re right and we needed a clean out earlier. I’ve said it before that I feel like last year was a bit of a holding pattern for the coaches plans, he knew what we had coming through, (haas, Fifita, dearden) and was just making do. It’s why the extension was fought for and unfortunately (imo) not realised.

could just be conjecture of course
If he knew they were coming through then why not act? Why not move on players to make space to sign them up? Why upgrade and sign aging players to long expensive deals when you know your power would be in the youngsters and NOT your senior players.

Oversight and poor management. Admit it

If he knew they were coming through then why not act? Why not move on players to make space to sign them up? Why upgrade and sign aging players to long expensive deals when you know your power would be in the youngsters and NOT your senior players.

Oversight and poor management. Admit it
He was involved in signing Haas to a 6 year deal.

and in fact luring him to the club in the first place.
With regards to Fifita, they decided to go all in on one teenager (haas) it was probably unrealistic for them to sign both on such a contract.

I don’t even rate dearden so not sure why I included him, but everyone else seems to

And you’re still talking like it’s just him that makes every decision, surely you’re past that now?

Last edited:

True. Huge props to him for that. I've said it before, I hope that was his gift to us.

But knowing Jimmy was a **** up, most likely knowing Niko was not our long term seven, not working Milf hard enough - this was not the Bennett of old. This was 'it's just a game' Wayne.

I think some of high esteemed BHQ members are too stubborn in their opinions.

What you and bgoat seem to be missing is that nobody here is vehemently in favour of Seibold, or at least I don't think anyone is, there simply hasn't been a large enough sample size to figure out if he's a great coach yet.

You two are the ones who have made up your mind on the subject without really giving him much of a chance, the rest of us are in "wait and see" mode because we're aware of the circumstances of his arrival, and the cluster **** of a roster he had to try and play Jenga with when he got here.

Surely the bloke deserves at least two seasons at the helm before you guys completely write him off? Hell, bgoat was pretty much out on him before a ball had even been kicked, I genuinely don't understand that. Anyone who is that quick to write off a coach must genuinely want not only him, but the club as a whole to fail.

and in fact luring him to the club in the first place.
With regards to Fifita, they decided to go all in on one teenager (haas) it was probably unrealistic for them to sign both on such a contract.

I don’t even rate dearden so not sure why I included him, but everyone else seems to

And you’re still talking like it’s just him that makes every decision, surely you’re past that now?
Stop skipping the shit bits and highlighting the good bits. 30 man roster. Not 3. What say you for the other decisions and the other contracts....

So what you're saying is Wayne would of been happy to let Fifita go..,?

So if Fifita now DOES go, you can't blame Seibold at all for losing him as it was part of Wayne's trajectory anyway? Can I get that on record?

True. Huge props to him for that. I've said it before, I hope that was his gift to us.

But knowing Jimmy was a **** up, most likely knowing Niko was not our long term seven, not working Milf hard enough - this was not the Bennett of old. This was 'it's just a game' Wayne.

Milf won our player of the year last year.
The reason I keep saying that is because posters keep trying to make out he’s no good.

Re niko, he was part of the holding pattern. He was way better for us last year than any of our 7’s were this year (including niko lol).

and he took jimmy with him
[automerge]1572100240[/automerge]
What you and bgoat seem to be missing is that nobody here is vehemently in favour of Seibold, or at least I don't think anyone is, there simply hasn't been a large enough sample size to figure out if he's a great coach yet.

You two are the ones who have made up your mind on the subject without really giving him much of a chance, the rest of us are in "wait and see" mode because we're aware of the circumstances of his arrival, and the cluster **** of a roster he had to try and play Jenga with when he got here.

Surely the bloke deserves at least two seasons at the helm before you guys completely write him off? Hell, bgoat was pretty much out on him before a ball had even been kicked, I genuinely don't understand that. Anyone who is that quick to write off a coach must genuinely want not only him, but the club as a whole to fail.

I said it at the time that I thought he was panicked, he couldn’t even handle an interview before he arrived here. Has done nothing since to change my mind.

And fwiw I didn’t start this conversation

Last edited:
Milf won our player of the year last year.
The reason I keep saying that is because posters keep trying to make out he’s no good.

Re niko, he was part of the holding pattern. He was way better for us last year than any of our 7’s were this year (including niko lol).

and he took jimmy with him

You should know I'm just about Milf's biggest fan on here. By no means am I suggesting he is bad - but it's basically beyond argument he has a a lazy side to him that should have been stamped out long ago.

Wayne should have sought out and signed a proper seven in 2017. I'm positive we could have landed someone - but he declared the spot was Niko's - for the next two years. Mistake. Bad coaching.

Seibold gave Jimmy the boot. Credit where it's due?

You should know I'm just about Milf's biggest fan on here. By no means am I suggesting he is bad - but it's basically beyond argument he has a a lazy side to him that should have been stamped out long ago.

Wayne should have sought out and signed a proper seven in 2017. I'm positive we could have landed someone - but he declared the spot was Niko's - for the next two years. Mistake. Bad coaching.

Seibold gave Jimmy the boot. Credit where it's due?

I know milf is lazy, which is why I was completely against his move to fullback and voiced that opinion once or twice on here. also a massive fan of the bloke, think he’s a gun 6.

re jimmy, sure turned out it was probably better for the team that he was moved on. I do miss having his occasionally glimpses of brilliance thoughj

With regards to signing a 7, we went after Taylor and missed, outside of him and maybe green (?) there were no quality halves available.

I said it at the time that I thought he was panicked, he couldn’t even handle an interview before he arrived here. Has done nothing since to change my mind.

What interview are you referring to? The only time I've seen Seibold lose his composure was when the media were ambushing him no less than an hour after he found out that Bennett was digging his heels in, at that point Seibold had told his family and they were already packing to move to Brisbane. It was completely understandable that he was pissed off.

His personality in the media is probably his biggest weakness at the moment, but I don't see how that's any reason to write off an NRL coach, that's just preposterous.

And fwiw I didn’t start this conversation

This is the Seibold discussion thread, this is a safe space, anything goes in here, as long as there's no personal insults or bickering, you can discuss Seibold & Bennett to your heart's content.

P
What interview are you referring to? The only time I've seen Seibold lose his composure was when the media were ambushing him no less than an hour after he found out that Bennett was digging his heels in, at that point Seibold had told his family and they were already packing to move to Brisbane. It was completely understandable that he was pissed off.

His personality in the media is probably his biggest weakness at the moment, but I don't see how that's any reason to write off an NRL coach, that's just preposterous.

This is the Seibold discussion thread, this is a safe space, anything goes in here, as long as there's no personal insults or bickering, you can discuss Seibold & Bennett to your heart's content.

Mate I just don’t want to be called a weasel again

I know milf is lazy, which is why I was completely against his move to fullback and voiced that opinion once or twice on here. also a massive fan of the bloke, think he’s a gun 6.

re jimmy, sure turned out it was probably better for the team that he was moved on. I do miss having his occasionally glimpses of brilliance thoughj

With regards to signing a 7, we went after Taylor and missed, outside of him and maybe green (?) there were no quality halves available.

I still feel you are dodging just flat out giving Wayne a bit of stick where it's due.

There was plenty of quality halves that became available after Hunt left, Bennett just missed on all of them, or his stubbornness made him persist with Nikorima. Whichever way you look at it, our current Halfback dilemma is his fault.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Hurrijo
  • Skathen
  • broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mick_Hancock
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Maddy
  • Wild Horse
  • cento
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • lynx000
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.