Seibold General Discussion

FWIW that ‘17 prediction was at the start of 15’. How was he to know we’d go so close that same year and our half back would develop a mental issue due to bottling the premiership in that year?

We did go close, didn't we. Until we went away from what had been working all season in the last half of footy that season. I expect more from Bennett, using Ben Hunt as an excuse for his subsequent failure and inability to reach his stated goals is a really, really, really cheap copout.

And I guarantee Bellamy would've done better.

Even Bellamy would need time to get this squad where it needed to be ... for 2 main reasons.

1. He wouldn't have had the systems in place that he has spent the last 15 years at the Storm perfecting. he would have had to start building them here.

2. He wouldn't have Cameron Smith

We did go close, didn't we. Until we went away from what had been working all season in the last half of footy that season. I expect more from Bennett, using Ben Hunt as an excuse for his subsequent failure and inability to reach his stated goals is a really, really, really cheap copout.

Cheap cop outs are all the rage mate, haven’t you heard we’ve had some injuries this year?

Even Bellamy would need time to get this squad where it needed to be ... for 2 main reasons.

1. He wouldn't have had the systems in place that he has spent the last 15 years at the Storm perfecting. he would have had to start building them here.

... 3 main reasons:

3. He would have had Darius Boyd

Last edited:

He still would've done better.

FWIW that ‘17 prediction was at the start of 15’. How was he to know we’d go so close that same year and our half back would develop a mental issue due to bottling the premiership in that year?

For all Bennett’s powers as a great manager and mentor of players, he was completely powerless in fixing Ben Hunt.

Even by the low low standards of this thread this is an absolute pearler.

Even by the low low standards of this thread this is an absolute pearler.
What? Blaming 2 seasons of mediocrity on 1 player. Who from memory completely outplayed his halves partner for the 1st half of '16. Yeah, I agree.

What? Blaming 2 seasons of mediocrity on 1 player. Who from memory completely outplayed his halves partner for the 1st half of '16. Yeah, I agree.
Perhaps you'll be able to point out where "Bennett us[ed] Ben Hunt as an excuse for his subsequent failure and inability to reach his stated goals."

Perhaps you'll be able to point out where "Bennett us[ed] Ben Hunt as an excuse for his subsequent failure and inability to reach his stated goals."
I never said Bennett did.

I never said Bennett did.

I appreciate that you’re a smart guy with a really strong footy brain, but I feel you are being pulled into a binary argument that actually doesn’t shed any light. Don’t you agree that the issues are deeper than who coaches?
Flattery will get you everywhere mate. A handsome, hard working genius like myself is typically above the Bennett/Siebold malarkey, it's been stale for aeons.

But seriously it gets frustrating to see any criticism of our current coach, regardless of validity, turned into "well Bennett was shit in 201x." I try to reread my posts a couple of times and end up deleting a fair chunk because it's just adding heat and no light, but ones like I quoted just aren't helpful. Having a dig at a guy who stopped coaching us last year for something he actually didn't say or do doesn't advance anyone's knowledge or help with the current issues we're facing.

Since I'm pouring on a shitload of words that may or may not be of any use or interest, the implication (or at least what I'd see implied there, maybe it's not meant that way) in the first part of Tom's quote isn't correct either. It's widely proclaimed that Wayne told the team to shut up shop and try to just hold the Cowboys out in the second half but Sam Thaiday (iirc) actually addressed this in his book and stated unambiguously that this was not the case. But just like memes about Boyd following Daddy to the Dragons it's probably a bit too late to knock this one on the head.

Flattery will get you everywhere mate. A handsome, hard working genius like myself is typically above the Bennett/Siebold malarkey, it's been stale for aeons.

But seriously it gets frustrating to see any criticism of our current coach, regardless of validity, turned into "well Bennett was shit in 201x." I try to reread my posts a couple of times and end up deleting a fair chunk because it's just adding heat and no light, but ones like I quoted just aren't helpful. Having a dig at a guy who stopped coaching us last year for something he actually didn't say or do doesn't advance anyone's knowledge or help with the current issues we're facing.

Since I'm pouring on a shitload of words that may or may not be of any use or interest, the implication (or at least what I'd see implied there, maybe it's not meant that way) in the first part of Tom's quote isn't correct either. It's widely proclaimed that Wayne told the team to shut up shop and try to just hold the Cowboys out in the second half but Sam Thaiday (iirc) actually addressed this in his book and stated unambiguously that this was not the case. But just like memes about Boyd following Daddy to the Dragons it's probably a bit too late to knock this one on the head.
Yeah I was talking about Broncsgoat, the guy I was replying to. I can see how it could be read like that though.

So who does Thaiday(?) blame it on. Looked like a gameplan to me, whose fault if not the coach's?

Last edited:
Yeah I was talking about Broncsgoat, the guy I was replying to. I can see how it could be read like that though.

So who does Thaiday(?) blame it on. Looked like a gameplan to me, whose fault if not the coach's?
We were getting absolutely stomped on by the Kangaroos starting props and the best lock in the world, with a forward pack that included Mitchell Dodds. We were getting smashed on both sides of the ball. Sometimes it's not about blame mate.

We were getting absolutely stomped on by the Kangaroos starting props and the best lock in the world, with a forward pack that included Mitchell Dodds. We were getting smashed on both sides of the ball. Sometimes it's not about blame mate.
Unless it's blaming Hunt for 16\17.

Unless it's blaming Hunt for 16\17.
That was me that did that. And I was only trying to apply some context to Bennett’s prediction of a 17’ premiership.

I honestly can’t comment because I haven’t read Sam’s book, but either way, it’s not about one game.

Don’t waste your time. One of the worst football books I’ve ever read. Plenty of controversy in Sam’s career and he hardly touches on any of them, if he even mentions them at all.

Was complete rubbish.

Last edited:
Don’t waste your time. One of the worst football books I’ve ever read. Plenty of controversy in Sam’s career and he hardly touches on any of them, if he even mentions them at all.

Was complete rubbish.

Kind of like Lockyer's book when he talks about the Petero stuff up. He said it was a mess and that was basically it.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.