NEWS Seibold gets last piece of the puzzle

We haven't seen a good kicking game from Dearden in first grade either. If you're one of the few who watch the lower grades and you're comparing their kicking games at that level, then fair enough. But if you're solely measuring performance in first grade, Dearden hasn't really shown much.
He hasn't played much either, but SoS kicking is no where near first grade standard. He has no power in his kicks whatsoever, he might make sense as a 6 but he isn't a leading kicker what so ever.

Last edited:
Can I ask what were you expecting from him? He looks pretty good to me considering his age and small opportunity he has had so far. Sos is 22 I believe. Far more upside to Dearden.

SoS is 21 but that’s not really relevant to who is better right now. If you put the games side by side of SoS and Dearden this year it’s a landslide to Sean.

He’s played an extra game but has had far more output in attack and we know he can make tackles because Bennett sent the entire Souths team at him all game.

Last edited:
Before we all get the pitchforks out for Seibold (even though I do agree its a seemingly bone headed decision) its worth noting that this is almost certainly what Wayne Bennett would have done in the same situation.

Wayne absolutely loved playing guys out of position in our spine and persisting with it. You only have to think back to the Moose and Thaiday at Dummy Half experiments recently, and then further back to other notable classics like David Stagg at 5/8 and then further back there was Tonie Carroll at Halfback to name just a few.
That's when there was injuries and talent around those options. We got boyd and macca in our spine and then you throw in turpin who is no good at 7 , then you completely drop the one half that has been producing try ass. and line break ass. . Not to mention defensively alot better, it's mind boggling.

Can I ask what were you expecting from him? He looks pretty good to me considering his age and small opportunity he has had so far. Sos is 22 I believe. Far more upside to Dearden.
I have low expectations of an 18 year old half back thrown into first grade, but I think we should be honest about what he has demonstrated so far. You could make a case that he organised the forwards or other such immeasurables (good on you if you can see this from your TV screen, because I honestly cannot see a difference), but in terms of kicking and laying on line breaks and tries, he is yet to show us anything.

Again, I'm not writing him off because he hasn't lit the world on fire in a handful of first grade games. I'm just suggesting caution before crowing that we've finally found a real halfback in the young lad.

I have low expectations of an 18 year old half back thrown into first grade, but I think we should be honest about what he has demonstrated so far. You could make a case that he organised the forwards or other such immeasurables (good on you if you can see this from your TV screen, because I honestly cannot see a difference), but in terms of kicking and laying on line breaks and tries, he is yet to show us anything.

Again, I'm not writing him off because he hasn't lit the world on fire in a handful of first grade games. I'm just suggesting caution before crowing that we've finally found a real halfback in the young lad.
Mate he was growing into the role pretty well I thought. His last full game before injury Gillett should have been over untouched but he dropped it cold.

Mate he was growing into the role pretty well I thought. His last full game before injury Gillett should have been over untouched but he dropped it cold.
Yeah I know he has an almost try assist to his name. It gets brought up quite a bit.

My point isn't to run the guy down for no reason. I just think SOS has shown a lot more promise in a similar amount of game time.

Yeah I know he has an almost try assist to his name. It gets brought up quite a bit.

My point isn't to run the guy down for no reason. I just think SOS has shown a lot more promise in a similar amount of game time.
I think part of that is he plays for himself a little more, whereas Dearden tried to just be a cog. Nevertheless, he is developed alot more than Dearden and so he should be, given their ages. He has already been discarded by the Roosters, I'd hate to have Dearden leave and become a star elsewhere because we played a journeyman second stringer instead of him.

Last edited:
I think part of that is he plays for himself a little more, whereas Dearden tried to just be a cog. Nevertheless, he is developed alot more than Dearden and so he should be, given their ages. He has already been discarded by the Roosters, I'd hate to have Dearden leave and become a star elsewhere because we played a journeyman second stringer instead of him.

Heaven forbid Dearden have to play more than 4 games in Q-Cup. What it comes down to is who is the better player right now and imo it’s not even close.

Last edited:

Discarded is a strong word. Didn’t he choose to leave?

Discarded is a strong word. Didn’t he choose to leave?
Isn't discarded the modus operandi of the Roosters? On the other hand Roosters pulled out all stops to try and get Dearden, private dinner with Politis and Johns, but he still chose to stay. Bronco through and through.

Both these guys are young for their position and have performed well in the opportunities they have had. It really comes down to a gut decision where statistics don’t really count because you are trying to predict what their output will be in the future. SOS has impressed me but my expansive gut tells me Dearden will be a superstar. I can’t point to specific data to back that up it’s just the vibe I get when I watch him play. This kid is tough and cool under pressure. I would like to keep them both for another couple of years to be sure but if anyone goes I hope it’s SOS.

Both sos and deardon have been solid in defence give them both more time at the top level and the game will slow down for them.

My 2 cents....
1. *MILF/Boyd
6. *Boyd/MILF
9. Turps
7. SOS
* Milf goes to fullback when Broncos defends and switches to 5/8 when Broncos attacks. The reason being MILF is a defensive liability and Boyd is an offensive liability.
Macca goes to the reserves.

Not sure why its become Dearden v SOS. Can they not both be promising so far but without having set the world on fire in the very limited time at this level they've both had?

Honestly if we were serious about putting our best Halves combination forward next season those two would be wearing the 6 & 7 and gelling together over the preseason and Boyd wouldn't be anywhere near our Halves. It honestly doesn't have to be a case of one vs the other.

Last edited:
Not sure why its become Dearden v SOS. Can they not both be promising so far but without having set the world on fire in the very limited time at this level they've both had?

Honestly if we were serious about putting our best Halves combination forward next season those two would be wearing the 6 & 7 and gelling together over the preseason and Boyd wouldn't be anywhere near our Halves. It honestly doesn't have to be a case of one vs the other.
I think it'll be paix 7 dearden 6 , they wanted paix as a 9 but he's a natural 7 . Seen as turpin has made a fist of 9 I think they'll go with 7 paix
6 dearden
9 turpin
Obviously keeping Milford at 1 and depending on when boyd retires is when paix gets his shot.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • ThomasovPreaf
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.