Seibold signs with Broncos for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. he was spending some quality time with his son Justin so he left his phone at home.
Thats convenient! I’m sure he wasnt expecting any calls the day before he attends the 1st day of pre season training after the most controversial off sesson he or the club has ever been involved in. Im sure the media are making it up that he replied to text messages, often people paid over $1 million dollars a year to do a job are unavailable and dont reply to their employers.

Last edited:
Impressed with Seibolds demeanour and a few things he said in today's press conference.

He mentioned he will focus on the effort areas which i feel we need to focus on. Our attitude in 2018 was poor, very poor and effort areas imo, is all based on attitude so I'm hoping the boys buy into this new era.

All in all, I'm getting excited by this new change at our club. Nervous about if Seibs will bring us premierships etc. but only time will tell. Let's fucken do this!

www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/allan-langer-commits-to-broncos-as-major-staff-swap-lurks/news-story/b8d03809fb1923583f9a851d591ffd07?nk=4df289b05d54d77c2ecbd9f9e9d4d6ec-1543833165

Allan Langer commits to Broncos as major staff swap looms

DECEMBER 03, 2018

Broncos legend Allan Langer says he will not be following Wayne Bennett out of Red Hill and has been guaranteed a job under new coach Anthony Seibold.
Bennett’s second stint at the Broncos ended dramatically on Sunday when he was sacked with a year to run on his contract.
Bennett’s dismissal paved the way for the seven-time NRL premiership winning coach to join South Sydney immediately in a straight swap with Seibold.
Seibold will bring assistant coaches Ben Cross and Peter Gentle to the Broncos, along with high performance manager Paul Devlin.
Bennett’s support staff in assistant coach Jason Demetriou and high performance chief Jeremy Hickmans are expected to head to the Rabbitohs.
Demetriou and Hickmans have been placed on gardening leave while their futures are determined.
But “Alfie” Langer will not be following Bennett, declaring he will remain in his assistant coach and on-field trainer role for 2019.
“I’m still a Bronco, I’m all good,” the four-time premiership winner said.
“I haven’t (spoken to Seibold), it’s all just happened and I’m up the coast.
“I will be catching up with the club at the 25-year reunion on Wednesday, so we will sort something out.
“It’s all got to be sorted but I’m sure it will be fine.”
Langer, 52, has long been Brisbane’s “14th player” on the field, with his trainer role regularly attracting attention.
The former Maroons and Kangaroos halfback is considered to be a crucial piece of Brisbane’s attacking methods and will continue to work with the club’s playmakers.
Langer said he did not have a standard contract with the Broncos like other coaches.
“No, it’s an agreement with the club,” he said.
“Hopefully I’ve got a few more years. As long as I’m still enjoying it and having a good time, I will keep wanting to do it.
“It (coach swap) is a tough one, I don’t want to get caught in the middle of it.
“At the end of the day, hopefully it’s the right thing for both clubs. You’ve got to look to the future and go forward.”
Langer is not a regular attendee at training, instead participating in captain’s runs the day before a game.

Last edited:
His son is disabled, isn't not having a phone an extremely bad idea? What if there was an emergency?

Mate I'm no doctor but his disability is something he has had all his life so I'm sure Wayne would have an in-depth understanding of the condition Justin has very well. Plus they were just at Southbank, not like they were out in the middle of whoop whoop away from a healthcare facility if for some remote chance he really needed emergency services.

Last edited:
Well said, ridiculous thing to say TBH. Being disabled doesn't mean you are a walking emergency.
Mate I'm no doctor but his disability is something he has had all his life so I'm sure Wayne would have an in-depth understanding of the condition Justin has very well. Plus they were just at Southbank, not like they were out in the middle of whoop whoop away from a healthcare facility if for some remote chance he really needed emergency services.

Obviously it is something he has had his whole life. But it still appears extremely questionable. Honestly who cares. Wayne is gone. He lost my respect a long time ago. In glad his association with the club is over.

Reactions: LGH
His son is disabled, isn't not having a phone an extremely bad idea? What if there was an emergency?

He regularly is unavailable when he is spending time with his son, the players and the people who know Bennett at the Broncos are well aware of it. There are a lot of things that people can have a pop at Bennett at over this whole saga, but this isn't one of them. I don't particularly think it's odd anyway to be out of contact when you have family time. I certainly don't carry my phone with me when Im in that position. Isn't that the whole point of spending time with family? Not to have outside distractions?

You have also highlighted why its a ridiculous excuse to not have a phone on him at all. Its not as if he was getting away from all the distractions in life to spend alone time with him, and working regularly in my job with people with disabilities the one thing they want is to be treated like they are just like everyone else (because they are!), completly changing your attitude around them like they are different to everyone else is not what they want. I dont think bennett had anything to do with it, but the journalist should be ashamed to even insinuate that his kid is an excuse for not answering a phone because he is disabled. Disgusting in my eyes, his kid has nothing to with his inability to be responsible in HIS job...

Obviously it is something he has had his whole life. But it still appears extremely questionable. Honestly who cares. Wayne is gone. He lost my respect a long time ago. In glad his association with the club is over.

Dont get so worked up about it mate, you brought it up in the first place. I think Wayne knows how to safely enjoy an outing with his son.

You have also highlighted why its a ridiculous excuse to not have a phone on him at all. Its not as if he was getting away from all the distractions in life to spend alone time with him, and working regularly in my job with people with disabilities the one thing they want is to be treated like they are just like everyone else (because they are!), completly changing your attitude around them like they are different to everyone else is not what they want. I dont think bennett had anything to do with it, but the journalist should be ashamed to even insinuate that his kid is an excuse for not answering a phone because he is disabled. Disgusting in my eyes, his kid has nothing to with his inability to be responsible in HIS job...

Oh totally agree with you mate, for sure. Justin is no different to anybody else his age other than facing some extra challenges in life. I think like Wolfie said, and I am exactly the same, certain times when we don't carry a phone with us purely for maximising family time. Just like Wayne was doing I think.

Last edited:

It's just the media looking to make a story and its a pretty low attempt at that. It's really not much different in the scheme of things to a father who only sees his kids every other weekend because of divorce. I'd say plenty of them would be spending quality time with their kids rather than constantly checking their phones.

www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/allan-langer-commits-to-broncos-as-major-staff-swap-lurks/news-story/b8d03809fb1923583f9a851d591ffd07?nk=4df289b05d54d77c2ecbd9f9e9d4d6ec-1543833165

Allan Langer commits to Broncos as major staff swap looms

DECEMBER 03, 2018

Broncos legend Allan Langer says he will not be following Wayne Bennett out of Red Hill and has been guaranteed a job under new coach Anthony Seibold.
Bennett’s second stint at the Broncos ended dramatically on Sunday when he was sacked with a year to run on his contract.
Bennett’s dismissal paved the way for the seven-time NRL premiership winning coach to join South Sydney immediately in a straight swap with Seibold.
Seibold will bring assistant coaches Ben Cross and Peter Gentle to the Broncos, along with high performance manager Paul Devlin.
Bennett’s support staff in assistant coach Jason Demetriou and high performance chief Jeremy Hickmans are expected to head to the Rabbitohs.
Demetriou and Hickmans have been placed on gardening leave while their futures are determined.
But “Alfie” Langer will not be following Bennett, declaring he will remain in his assistant coach and on-field trainer role for 2019.
“I’m still a Bronco, I’m all good,” the four-time premiership winner said.
“I haven’t (spoken to Seibold), it’s all just happened and I’m up the coast.
“I will be catching up with the club at the 25-year reunion on Wednesday, so we will sort something out.
“It’s all got to be sorted but I’m sure it will be fine.”
Langer, 52, has long been Brisbane’s “14th player” on the field, with his trainer role regularly attracting attention.
The former Maroons and Kangaroos halfback is considered to be a crucial piece of Brisbane’s attacking methods and will continue to work with the club’s playmakers.
Langer said he did not have a standard contract with the Broncos like other coaches.
“No, it’s an agreement with the club,” he said.
“Hopefully I’ve got a few more years. As long as I’m still enjoying it and having a good time, I will keep wanting to do it.
“It (coach swap) is a tough one, I don’t want to get caught in the middle of it.
“At the end of the day, hopefully it’s the right thing for both clubs. You’ve got to look to the future and go forward.”
Langer is not a regular attendee at training, instead participating in captain’s runs the day before a game.

Could never ever imagine Alfie at any other club other than the broncos. I could see him choosing to be the janitor over going anywhere else.

And wtf is gardening leave?

Oh totally agree with you mate, for sure. Justin is no different to anybody else his age other than facing some extra challenges in life. I think like Wolfie said, and I am exactly the same, certain times when we don't carry a phone with us purely for maximising family time. Just like Wayne was doing I think.
I suppose we will never know. It just seems extremly convenient and incredibly professionally irresponible considering the events of the past couple of days...

Last edited:
It's just the media looking to make a story and its a pretty low attempt at that. It's really not much different in the scheme of things to a father who only sees his kids every other weekend because of divorce. I'd say plenty of them would be spending quality time with their kids rather than constantly checking their phones.
I dont disagree with any of that, just seems a bit too convenient considering the events of the past couple of days. He does seem like an amazing father to his kids. Disgusting the media has even mentioned them, he could have “missed” the calls for any or no reason at all. No need for them to be mentioned.

Could never ever imagine Alfie at any other club other than the broncos. I could see him choosing to be the janitor over going anywhere else.

Getting paid by your employer to do nothing and stay away from the workplace.

Last edited:

According to Fairwork Australia - "Gardening leave occurs when an employee who has resigned or been given notice of termination is required to serve all or part of their notice period without performing any of their normal duties. If an employer instructs such an employee to stay home, and continues to pay the employee during the notice period, that is considered 'gardening leave'. Employers sometimes use gardening leave to prevent an employee from having access to the business' confidential information during the notice period".

Hmm there you go. Had never heard of it myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ostin86
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • BroncosMan
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Kev_Guz
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.