Select the NSW 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Lachlan Coote being thrown into the mix as a 5/8? He has played there before, has played well there and has big game experience. The guy is a gun. If you can't put him at fullback put him at 5/8 - it's not like they have any better options knocking down the door. Or else use him off the bench like Michael Morgan.

Could you play Tedesco on the wing? I haven't really thought about it, I mean.. he's good under the high ball and can stop just about anyone 1 on 1, the only issue would be defensive positioning I think. But if they really wanted to fit him and Dugan in, and really wanted to play Coote at Fullback, they could probably do like..

1. Coote
2. Tedesco
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Dugan

Realistically they'd be better off probably putting Mansour on the wing instead of him.

Does anyone know if James Tedesco's injury will rule him out for origin?

Lachlan Coote and Josh Dugan will rule him out if the injury doesn't.

Coote is playing near faultless footy for the cows. There is no better fullback in the country right now . IMHO he should be fullback for NSW and Australia . He can also hurt us because he should be able to read JTs game better then anyone.

Cartright having a decent game for City. So much skill in a big body. Bird is a tough consistent performer. However, does Cartright at his is best now surpass what Bird can offer? As a Qlder, I think I'd rather see Bird in the 12 than Cartright.

Last edited:
The QLD team won't let him get away with chip kicks and offloads that land 5 metres behind everyone though.

The QLD team won't let him get away with chip kicks and offloads that land 5 metres behind everyone though.

Possibly. But is it time to move on from Bird and see what he can bring?

Last edited:
Possibly. But is it time move on from Bird and see what he can bring?

Doesn't matter to me. I'd love to see Cartwright hyped by Gus and Joey as the best thing ever (They already think he should be in the Kangaroos team for ***** sake) and then have a shit game against us.

Doesn't matter to me. I'd love to see Cartwright hyped by Gus and Joey as the best thing ever (They already think he should be in the Kangaroos team for ***** sake) and then have a shit game against us.

I hear ya, and plenty of players with potential aren't able to bring their best to the riggers of the origin arena. I would just say that at his best I don't think it's all hype. Qld has a back log of great examples of 'good' players lifting to another level in that environment. And I for one would be curious to see how the gamble might pay off.

If he can tighten his game, Cartwright will be a Top 10 player of his generation.

Laurie should include him as 18th man. Have Luke Lewis, Greg Bird and company teach him a couple of lessons he can apply to his game to accelerate his development. Pending on how well he goes, he could find himself on the bench for Game II or III.

His defence is still questionable for me, but it seems somewhat improved on last year. He'll be a good player if he can tighten it up half as well as Gillo has. Also seems to be getting more selective in his offloads/attack, but it'd be nice to see him making looking for a bit more work in attack.

With Tedesco injured, I'd be going with:

1. Coote
2. Mansour
3. Jennings
4. Roberts
5. Fergusen
6. Maloney
7. Sezer
8. Woods
9. Ennis
10. Fallen
11. Cordner
12. Scott
13. Bird

14. Matterson
15. Tamou
16. Cartwright
17. Fifita

there you go, pull that team to pieces!

Haha at you picking Matterson after 5 first grade games :rofl: :rofl:

Haha at you picking Matterson after 5 first grade games :rofl: :rofl:

What can I say, I rate the kid a lot and think he would be the perfect utility. Tate got picked for Aus after 9 games or something. But hey, whatever NSW has been doing has worked so well for you guys, so I'm more than happy for your state to keep picking the same old numpties again. :)

I rate this kid as well he looks like a good prospect he had a good game today and I hope he kicks on but picking someone for the highest level of Rugby League in the world after 5 games of first grade is absolutely crazy. I know Ben Ikin debuted at Origin after 4 games for the Gold Coast but remember that was Super League and in 95 and 97 both the Maroons and the Blues were desperate and scrapped the barrel for anybody as there was nobody available.

Just took a look in one of my books and Tate debuted for the Maroons after 14, but I don't know the story behind it so I can't comment on it.

And I'm pretty sure he played for Aus before that in the Anzac test too, though I could be wrong. I'm sure it was 9 games though. Anyway, isn't NSW desperate though? I mean the kid can play center, back row and in the halves. It might be a year too early as I guess Lewis could be picked there this year but that still feels like a too conservative approach. Just pick him and take the punt.

whatever thought process goes into picking the NSW team ... the selectors should do the exact opposite to what their instincts tell them ... maybe then they will have a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • marw
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • pennywisealfie
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • Nerd
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • Foordy
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Brocko
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • big k
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.