NEWS Selection dilemma: Anthony Seibold facing crucial Broncos call

I think we will definitely see Darius playing at left centre this weekend. Seibold has stated that Milf is staying at fullback. Now that we have a couple of halves available Darius will move to centre. I agree with some of the posters who think it will look like this.

1. Milf
3. Boyd
6. Sos
7. Turpin
9. Macca
14. Segs

Seibold will leave Boyd and Macca in the starting side either because he is delusional, and actually believes that's what is best for out team. Or, his hand is being forced because of some internal rubbish. I believe it's the latter.

I think there is a chance that Macca will go to the bench before seasons end if the reinstate Dearden. Mainly because Turps has proved his value to our side and has earnt a starting spot.

I'm going to catch flak for suggesting Isaako as a 5/8 but there it is. Big enough, nice pass (one recently I saw was as precise as is possible) and I have no doubt he could kick any of the shapes possible. Before telling me why it can't work I'd be countering with 'he'd have to offer more than DB in the same position'. I'd reckon he'd give it a real crack.

Maybe we could also employ what Melbourne are doing, but a back on the bench just to come on as a roving or edge forward similar to what Papenhuyzen is doing. I think Farnworth would be perfect for that, he does not mind the tough carries and could make extra yardage off the back of Haas and Lodge. A hooker on the bench is a waste considering what Macca can offer.
Can Herbie play 5/8? He a kicker too, is that not what our team needs in general play? If Macca does go for a rest, Herbie slots into pivot and Turps to rake.
I'm of the opinion, if our players are talented enough slot them in the team regardless of the number on the jersey.

SoS is a 6 right? if he was a proper 7 then his kicking game would be much better surely.

Seibold has been saying the reason why he is putting Turps in the halves is so it helps him develop more game awareness when he goes back to Hooker, so there is some method to the madness, but he isn't effective there.
I haven't seen him saying that. Do you have a source?

If the fallout from all this results in an outcome whereby they bench Turpin then honestly I would expect no less than torches and pitchforks out the front of Red Hill this week.
[automerge]1565563813[/automerge]

I'm not generally into conspiracy theories but the apparent willingness to drop and offload others contrasted against his seeming reluctance to drop Boyd in the face of such glaring and ever increasing evidence certainly does lend weight to the theory.
Same here. I'm not sure where it came from, was there any official source or even newspaper garbage about it or did it start as someone speculating?
Buzz Rothfield was the one who was saying it on 360. He may of done a write up also, not sure. It is obvious Seibs has told him to find a key spot for him and presumably told it's his job to get him playing well. From memory it was about the money invested. They dont want 800k in qcup. Pathetic from the board if true.

Buzz Rothfield was the one who was saying it on 360. He may of done a write up also, not sure. It is obvious Seibs has told him to find a key spot for him and presumably told it's his job to get him playing well. From memory it was about the money invested. They dont want 800k in qcup. Pathetic from the board if true.
Ta mate. Given the source I might have a look around to see if there's anything with greater substance. Rothfield has made some interesting claims about us, including twice stating that Bird was on his way back to Cronulla, it's entirely possible he hasn't got this from anywhere but just decided that 1 + 1 = a dozen beers before lunch.

Well with Shiba having a pretty poor game I think Boyd to centre is a possibility.

SOS played pretty well prior to the injury so I think he should definitely come back in and could be the spark in the halves.

Its just whether Seibs wants to take a punt on two rookies just back from injury in the halves with Deardon and SOS.

Personally I would take the gamble on Deardon and SOS, Boyd to centre, Turpin to 9 and I would then assume Macca to the bench but more likely Macca to start, Turpin to the bench.

Seibs does have the option however to move either Turpin or Boyd back into the halves during the match if he needs to.

Last edited:

i can tell you this...Boyd isn't in the run on side for any "footballing" reason......read into that what you will...

Obviously Siebs hasn't got enough leverage yet at the cub to start really putting his foot down and demanding he be given the latitude to make footballing decisions regardless of contract...

Im just jawboning here....

Seibold inherited a shit squad, lets be honest. Judge him in 12-18 months time, when he can get his own squad together. If Wayne couldnt win a title with Boyd at 1 and Macca at 9 then how can Seibold?

Though I do agree that Seibold needs to make some harsh calls and drop a few players.

Yeah, the squad was that shit it finished 2 points from the minor premiers in 2018. The squad wasnt shit, it was inconsistent.

Yeah, the squad was that shit it finished 2 points from the minor premiers in 2018. The squad wasnt shit, it was inconsistent.
True. We also finished the season with a points diff of 56.

We're currently 15 points shy of the premiership leaders, with a points diff of -52. This time last year we were 6 points behind, with a points diff of -10.

Switching coach hasn't been a success for the Broncos on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Well with Shiba having a pretty poor game I think Boyd to centre is a possibility.

SOS played pretty well prior to the injury so I think he should definitely come back in and could be the spark in the halves.

Its just whether Seibs wants to take a punt on two rookies just back from injury in the halves with Deardon and SOS.

Personally I would take the gamble on Deardon and SOS, Boyd to centre, Turpin to 9 and I would then assume Macca to the bench but more likely Macca to start, Turpin to the bench.

Seibs does have the option however to move either Turpin or Boyd back into the halves during the match if he needs to.
To be fair to Shibasaki, he wasn't much worse than staggs who was awful too. Staggs has shown that he can perform though so he probably gets a paas for now, but I hope he doesn't repeat it.
I think we are way too expansive in attack too early in our game against the cowboys. That and the conditions probably didn't help.

True. We also finished the season with a points diff of 56.

We're currently 15 points shy of the premiership leaders, with a points diff of -52. This time last year we were 6 points behind, with a points diff of -10.

Switching coach hasn't been a success for the Broncos on the scoreboard.

We are probably similar in a lot of ways in terms of our inconsistency.

I think if we don't have one genuine half in the halves this week then they are writing off this season. It's a lot of pressure on the young halves but that's the job.

To be fair to Shibasaki, he wasn't much worse than staggs who was awful too. Staggs has shown that he can perform though so he probably gets a paas for now, but I hope he doesn't repeat it.
I think we are way too expansive in attack too early in our game against the cowboys. That and the conditions probably didn't help.

its the dry season up North too...Ive never seen the field that bad before in Townsville....

its the dry season up North too...Ive never seen the field that bad before in Townsville....
It was a joke. That field looked horrible. Siebs made a comment post game saying it hadn't rained then asked the media if they seen any rain up there then said did they leave the sprinkler on or something.

It seemed a ploy to me to have that game as slow as possible. They wanted to take the footwork and speed out of our forwards.

This is not a dilemma. Send Boyd and Macca to Q cup where they’ve belonged all year and play both SOS and Deardon in the halves with Turps as 9 and Seggie on the bench.

Of course that won’t happen. We’ll still have Boyd stinking it up at 6 and Macca slowing us down as 9, so if we’re lucky Turps will be forced to the bench and SOS to half.
i don't reckon that will happen.... Seibold is a weak prick so it might but we are low at centre so boyd might move there than segeyaro to q-cup and turpin to the bench and slot SOS and Dearden into the halves

I might be wrong, or maybe I am hearing things, but why is there this constant speculation that Boyd will go to centre and Dearden and/or SOS will go to the halves, or Turps to the bench, when the only thing I have heard Seibold state clearly and publicly is that Boyd will play 6 and Turps 7 for the foreseeable future.

As I understand it, we will have Boyd and Turps in the halves for the rest of the year (sadly) with the inevitable consequences to our attack : shovel the ball to the nearest prop or 2, and then hoick the bomb on the 5th ... YAWN

Last edited:

Active Now

• Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.