PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
As Kevvie said in the presser Selwyn doesn't care about the scoreboard he just plays footy, which makes me think money won't be a factor in his next contract.

Playing in his preferred position for the club he has always dreamed of playing for.

IMO, he will be similar to Walsh ... i.e. it will take a very big offer to pry him away from us

Images

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
You don't think though that Cobbo himself not being at centre and not having three quarters of the usual spine there contributed to that though?
I’m not going to accidentally fall into a post criticising Cobbo. I’ll keep it simple and just say that he has limited dimensions at fb currently

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I’m not going to accidentally fall into a post criticising Cobbo. I’ll keep it simple and just say that he has limited dimensions at fb currently

Yep limited to catching bombs then running over and around cunz .
He is a better tackler than Walsh and probably safer under bombs . Not a bad limit though .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Tik Tok Stare GIF

Yeah... no. lol - surely you remember him on the wing for a couple of years right?

Compared to 2024 Walshy he`s an upgrade IMO .
I was comparing Selwyn in the Manly game vs Reece this season .

He was good enough on the wing to play for Qld and Australia . I think you need to remember .

The Homer Simpson fade into the bushes move Selwyn pulled the other night was a thing of beauty . Stepped back out of reach , caught the bomb then set sail . Reece would have gotten smashed back into the in goal .

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Selwyn will have a game like Friday where he catches everything - in fact it looked like the ball was just falling for him - and then he'll have a game where he just doesn't. But those games seem further apart these days.

He's also good for a few unforced errors a game, and often in bad spots - a drop playing the ball after a strong run in our own end, or like Friday night where he dropped one late having a look and gave the ball back to Manly with time on the clock for them to win it.

I'm still a huge Cobbo fan, and the good definitely outweighs the bad, but I'm definitely in the he's a long-term centre camp.

Ondi

Ondi

BRL Player
Apr 4, 2024
Yep, agree with a lot of what has been said. I'm happy the way he's progressing though. I think the next level of Selwyn is when he decides to become one of the leaders of the team. I think that game at fullback at least opened the door to that idea for him. Let's all hope he's here for the long term because at 21 still he is going to be something special.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I know Walsh and Mam are excitement machines, but there’s something extra special about a “selwyn moment” that brings me so much joy. I don’t think there’s anything like it really, he just does “selwyn things” things no one else can ever do.

And then he’ll turn around and derp it up in Selwyn way, but he does it with a giant smile on his face so…….
Nailed it.

1638350603.jpeg

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
You see him in the highlights when Jock put Piakura over for his try .
Selwyn is in the back ground cheering . The defence were shitting themselves about Cobbo out the back and left room for Piakura to roll through .
His reaction was some of the most emotion I have seen Selwyn display in his few years in top grade .
Darren Lockyear commented he is less error prone of late .

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Selwyn will have a game like Friday where he catches everything - in fact it looked like the ball was just falling for him - and then he'll have a game where he just doesn't. But those games seem further apart these days.

He's also good for a few unforced errors a game, and often in bad spots - a drop playing the ball after a strong run in our own end, or like Friday night where he dropped one late having a look and gave the ball back to Manly with time on the clock for them to win it.

I'm still a huge Cobbo fan, and the good definitely outweighs the bad, but I'm definitely in the he's a long-term centre camp.
Without at all demonising how good of a ball runner he is, a lot of his big runs are helped by the fact that he takes the risky line between defence and the touch line. This allows him to get around or palm the winger but then often ends up either dangerously close to touch or having to force a panic pass back in field.

A great run isn’t as great if the overall outcome is poor. Cobbo will palm 4 guys and break 3 tackles while running sideward, get outside the winger and make a 10m break up the sideline before being bundled into touch and everyone, me included, will applaud how damaging of a runner he is.

It’s like if a player kept taking 60m field goals and impressed everyone with the distance accept he missed heaps of them. It’s impressive but not actually beneficial.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Without at all demonising how good of a ball runner he is, a lot of his big runs are helped by the fact that he takes the risky line between defence and the touch line. This allows him to get around or palm the winger but then often ends up either dangerously close to touch or having to force a panic pass back in field.

A great run isn’t as great if the overall outcome is poor. Cobbo will palm 4 guys and break 3 tackles while running sideward, get outside the winger and make a 10m break up the sideline before being bundled into touch and everyone, me included, will applaud how damaging of a runner he is.

It’s like if a player kept taking 60m field goals and impressed everyone with the distance accept he missed heaps of them. It’s impressive but not actually beneficial.
I should point out, Walsh’s 17 passes into the stands per game aren’t ideal either lol.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I know Walsh and Mam are excitement machines, but there’s something extra special about a “selwyn moment” that brings me so much joy. I don’t think there’s anything like it really, he just does “selwyn things” things no one else can ever do.

He brings back memories of Greg Inglis when Selwyn has his hands on the ball and is in full stretch. He's also getting that ferocious fend down pat as well.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I do think people are underestimating the money side of things. Any close offers, he stays, no question at all. If we come in at $900k for example, and Rorters come in at $1.3 million ( plus " extras " from both clubs, i think he leaves.

The Rorters problem is any issues and they cut you loose pretty brutally. When JNik went there, they did everything for him. He didnt have to pay for anywhere to live, sponsored car etc but as soon as they wanted his over inflated salary gone, they binned him ( which he was partly to blame for ). Thats the sort of thing Selwyn needs to look at more than money at somewhere like the Rorters.

I'd be more worried about Souths with Wayne going there tbh. They have a strong aboriginal connection there, and they need a rebuild. Following in the footsteps of his idol may also be appealing.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
When JNik went there, they did everything for him. He didnt have to pay for anywhere to live, sponsored car etc
And that should be on the cap... but Uncle Nick is allowed to do what he wants apparently.

Easy for a player to accept 100k less in cash if Uncle Nick is providing accommodation that is in the order of who the **** knows in Sydney... $1k per week is $52k a year that the player no longer has to pay, which is near enough to $100k when tax is brought into it.

I heard that rorters have a unit complex or something in Sydney's eastern suburbs that they use to house juniors coming through... I'd assume that's a fair chunk of change that an 18yr old no longer has to pay, whilst being in a prime location.

This has been openly promoted in the media, so how is that not included in the salary cap?

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.