Shaun Metcalf back in NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...gets-to-star-again-in-nrl-20110405-1d2yd.html

I must say this does my head in.
It's a very serious crime, which was premeditated too.
I can accept the rehabilitation value of playing a sport, but seriously, allowing him back in the NRL to earn a very big wage, while serving as an example of "getting away with it", goes too far IMO. Staying in NZ and playing in the lower grades there, should be as far as the flexibility should go.

How many people have been banned from the game for much less?
How many people are being denied entry in Australia for much lesser offences?

I just can't morally agree with this... [icon_non

oh wow, this guy eh? lowlife doesn't begin to describe him.

I'm with porthoz. There's having a second chance...and there's this. AFAIC the most civilised job this guy should get is cleaning up vomit, piss and shit from the toilets of a pub.

Well it's a business, not a church. If he offers value to them from a business stand point then good luck to the Warriors.

I personally don't think someone like that deserves a chance at a high paying job but that's just the way it is unfortunately. What should happen here is the NRL should intervene and prevent the registration. The warriors are going to sign him if he offers value and that's fair enough but it's up to the NRL to prevent this stuff.

broncospwn said:
Well it's a business, not a church. If he offers value to them from a business stand point then good luck to the Warriors.

Sends a really great message to the community about what the Warriors stand for.

What's their next marketing campaign? "MAKE THE MAN SOME F*CKING EGGS"

broncospwn said:

I personally don't think someone like that deserves a chance at a high paying job but that's just the way it is unfortunately. What should happen here is the NRL should intervene and prevent the registration. The warriors are going to sign him if he offers value and that's fair enough but it's up to the NRL to prevent this stuff.
Pretty sure having a bloke like this in my business isn't going to do it any good.

FFS what a ridiculous argument.

Coxy said:
broncospwn said:

Sends a really great message to the community about what the Warriors stand for.

You're not wrong, I actually agree with you but it's the warriors decision. Perhaps to them onfield success is a bit more important than off field image. Getting someone like Todd Carney didn't affect the Roosters and he is a high profile idiot where as this guy is pretty much an unknown. They probably think it wouldn't affect their image.

Difference is Todd Carney, as big a douche as he was, never really hurt anyone.
Metcalf engaged in cold, calculated, brutal assault of a pregnant woman. I'm writing to the NRL to voice my disgust and that I will boycott any Warriors games on TV or at Suncorp Stadium.

mrslong said:
broncospwn said:

Pretty sure having a bloke like this in my business isn't going to do it any good.

I love how you fire up [icon_lol1.
Todd Carney didn't seem to affect the Roosters. There crowds went up last year along with their on field success.

Robert Lui with the tigers, seriously assaulting and trying to choke his girlfriend and the Tigers seem to be behind him all the way. Not even a suspension I don't think.

Many other examples, fans have short memories and a lot of fans couldn't care less about off field stuff.
I don't think he deserves it but the NRL allows things like this and clubs are going to take advantage for their own selfish good.

The Rock said:
broncospwn said:

Um you DO know that this guy wouldn't be hired by ANY employer that perform criminal history checks right? Which pretty much goes for most organisation's these days. Maybe he could be a brick layer? [icon_shru

So your comment about it being a "business" is ridiculous. No body wants a criminal like this in their business and with a game that holds millions of dollars in sponsorship, I'm surprised he's been allowed into the most scrutinised sporting business in this country.
Is it* the same in NZ though?

Like I said, I don't agree with the decision but if the NRL doesn't care then the Warriors are going to be selfish if they think it's gonna benefit them. The only way they'll go back on this is if it creates massive media hysteria or a sponsor threatens them.

I just put the blame on the NRL for this. They shouldn't allow clubs to make these sort of signings, they are tarnishing the NRL's reputation.

This is a snapshot of Robert Lui's charges and he's playing NRL right now and this happened a few months ago.

The career of Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui is in limbo after he was charged with nine offences against his partner, Taleah Backo, which include two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three of common assault, one of malicious damage, one of choking with intent to commit an indictable offence, one of detaining for advantage, and one of aggravated robbery.

If the NRL allow someone facing those sort of charges play then then Warriors though they'd be fine as well.

broncospwn said:
mrslong said:
broncospwn said:

I love how you fire up [icon_lol1.
Todd Carney didn't seem to affect the Roosters. There crowds went up last year along with their on field success.

Robert Lui with the tigers, seriously assaulting and trying to choke his girlfriend and the Tigers seem to be behind him all the way. Not even a suspension I don't think.

Many other examples, fans have short memories and a lot of fans couldn't care less about off field stuff.
I don't think he deserves it but the NRL allows things like this and clubs are going to take advantage for their own selfish good.
Did I say I agreed with Robert Lui playing in the NRL? Anyway he hasn't been found guilty yet has he?

I've always said I'm against Watmaugh (threw his mrs through a glass door and burned her with cigarette butts) playing and also Cherrington stabbed his mrs.

Coxy said:
Difference is Todd Carney, as big a douche as he was, never really hurt anyone.
Metcalf engaged in cold, calculated, brutal assault of a pregnant woman. I'm writing to the NRL to voice my disgust and that I will boycott any Warriors games on TV or at Suncorp Stadium.
icon_thumbs_u Me too.

Whilst what the others have done this is by far the most dispicable.

Besides the victim was FIFTEEN. Not even an adult - a child, a pregnant child. What a sick mf.

broncospwn said:
This is a snapshot of Robert Lui's charges and he's playing NRL right now and this happened a few months ago.

The career of Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui is in limbo after he was charged with nine offences against his partner, Taleah Backo, which include two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three of common assault, one of malicious damage, one of choking with intent to commit an indictable offence, one of detaining for advantage, and one of aggravated robbery.

If the NRL allow someone facing those sort of charges play then then Warriors though they'd be fine as well.

Yet to be convicted. Metcalf was.

Bird was banned for a year on suspicion.
Brett Stewart was banned for a year on suspicion.

Both were (eventually) acquitted (note I didn't say were not guilty).

i don't think you quite get how bad this is. So I'll put it in large print.

He got a 15 year old girl pregnant (illegal, statutory rape), lured her into a park with 2 of his mates and KICKED HER REPEATEDLY IN THE STOMACH to try and cause a miscarriage

Think about that for a minute. Just a minute. And could you ever watch a team with him in it and want anything more than him to have his neck snapped and his lifeless body to be dragged off the field towed behind the medicab? That's the only image I can think of that I want to happen to this lowlife piece of shit.

Big Pete said:
Brett Stewart was banned for a year on suspicion.

You mean 5 games right?

True, then he injured himself and missed the rest of the season anyway [icon_lol1.

broncospwn said:
Coxy said:
broncospwn said:

You're not wrong, I actually agree with you but it's the warriors decision. Perhaps to them onfield success is a bit more important than off field image. Getting someone like Todd Carney didn't affect the Roosters and he is a high profile idiot where as this guy is pretty much an unknown. They probably think it wouldn't affect their image.
FFS, let's get things in perspective. This goes way beyond image!

Todd Carney is a sh!t for brains bloke that apparently can't get through his thick skull that he can't go near alcohol. He may have some driving offenses and could even have killed someone while DUI, but he didn't! Nor did he plan to go out there and run over a pedestrian or run into an unsuspecting motorist...

Now compare that to premeditated attempted murder of an unborn child.

I've sent an email to the NRL outlining my outrage.

I don't think it can be said often enough. She was 15. I have a 15 year old niece. her getting pregnant would be scary enough, to have someone take her out the back and kick her guts out....well, it goes beyond imagining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • pennywisealfie
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • Dazza 92
  • Harry Sack
  • Strop
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • The Don
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.