Shaun Metcalf back in NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I am baffled that the NRL would allow this. Absolutely and totally baffled.

Even more disappointing is Steve Price's praise for the decision. I know you're a lovely, forgiving guy, Steve, but some things are unforgivable.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
He was 15 or 16 at the time too apparently. Which is no excuse in my book btw...
There is "teenager acting up", and there is this absolute disgrace!

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
That's the defence the "civil libertarians" have tried to make.

''We can all get caught up in the emotional image of young men booting a young woman in the stomach to cause her to abort her baby, but these were two young people … she got pregnant, he was way out of his depth, and he did a really cruel and dumb thing.

''He was caught in the moment, and what he did was the equivalent of a young man putting a noose around his neck because his girlfriend tossed him out. He has to be allowed to move forward and put his life together, and I think the ability of the NRL and the Warriors to take this young man in and help him do that is role modelling and something they should get credit for.''

WTF!!!!!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Coxy said:
That's the defence the "civil libertarians" have tried to make.

''We can all get caught up in the emotional image of young men booting a young woman in the stomach to cause her to abort her baby, but these were two young people … she got pregnant, he was way out of his depth, and he did a really cruel and dumb thing.

''He was caught in the moment, and what he did was the equivalent of a young man putting a noose around his neck because his girlfriend tossed him out. He has to be allowed to move forward and put his life together, and I think the ability of the NRL and the Warriors to take this young man in and help him do that is role modelling and something they should get credit for.''

WTF!!!!!
The second paragraph got my blood boiling too... :evil:

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yep. It comes down to the difference between turning your life around, and having a privileged life. He forfeited his claim to such privileges as playing professional sport. Sure, he's entitled to a career...if an employer in a regular firm will trust someone with his background. And sure, play amateur rugby league or union or whatever you want.

But to be paid big dollars to play a professional sport, with national exposure...**** off.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Well I hope he does get banned. My main gripe however isn't with the Warriors(although I think it's a very short sighted signing thinking purely about on field success) but more so the NRL for allowing this guy to play when blokes who have done things far less "criminal" got suspensions and the whole lot. The NRL should put a life ban on anyone with things like that.

That includes Robert Lui if he is found guilty, ban him for life.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Coxy said:
Yep. It comes down to the difference between turning your life around, and having a privileged life. He forfeited his claim to such privileges as playing professional sport. Sure, he's entitled to a career...if an employer in a regular firm will trust someone with his background. And sure, play amateur rugby league or union or whatever you want.

But to be paid big dollars to play a professional sport, with national exposure...**** off.
The NRL is trying to play the nice guy that "rehabilitates bad guys". That's what counseling and that shit is for, you don't need to be paid to play a sport to be rehabilitated, you can do that at local level.

Because we all love a "success story bad guy turns good".At least that's what the media tells us.

M

mal

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
Hmmm

I'm honestly on the fence here, it's a fucked act, horrible, inhumane and on that merit I agree that the Warriors should not be giving him a lifeline.

HOWEVER- 7-8 years on, who knows what kind of a person he is now. The article states he has twins- not that I have had kids but I have seen first hand how much having children can change a man no matter how deep in shit they have been. I for one hope that he has and remains to be.

I don't think its that easy to draw a line down the middle and say no second chance. Who knows, he might actually deserve it? Not because of the act, but because of what has happened since with himself.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
broncospwn said:
Coxy said:

The NRL is trying to play the nice guy that "rehabilitates bad guys". That's what counseling and that shit is for, you don't need to be paid to play a sport to be rehabilitated, you can do that at local level.

Because we all love a "success story bad guy turns good".At least that's what the media tells us.
I know what you're saying, but without condoning it, I'd be more willing to accept the rehabilitation of a player that got into a bar fight that got out of hand and killed someone with an unlucky punch.

The nature of this crime is just absolutely inexcusable, and I would advocate the same for Lui, if he's proven guilty of the offences you listed.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
mal said:
Hmmm

I'm honestly on the fence here, it's a **** act, horrible, inhumane and on that merit I agree that the Warriors should not be giving him a lifeline.

HOWEVER- 7-8 years on, who knows what kind of a person he is now. The article states he has twins- not that I have had kids but I have seen first hand how much having children can change a man no matter how deep in shit they have been. I for one hope that he has and remains to be.

I don't think its that easy to draw a line down the middle and say no second chance. Who knows, he might actually deserve it? Not because of the act, but because of what has happened since with himself.

I'm not saying no second chance at having a life. I'm saying no second chance at having a PRIVILEGED life. Playing pro sport is something people - good people - dream about. He forfeited any claim to that kind of privilege.

End of story. Case closed.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
mrslong said:
Besides the victim was FIFTEEN. Not even an adult - a child, a pregnant child. What a sick mf.
you have to remember though that he was only 16 at the time - not really an adult either.

now dont take this the wrong way - im not at all defending him. im just saying that putting emphasis on the fact that she was 15 WITHOUT mentioning the small fact that he was only 16 is intentionally misleading.

honestly though, i dont care if he plays in the NRL. he didnt kill anyone (though what he did was deplorable), he went to jail, he got out, and i dont care if hes a nice bloke or a moron. im not watching football to watch a bunch of nice upstanding citizens - im watching football for the football. the people and their personalities/off field antics are irrelevant to me.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Anonymous person said:
mrslong said:
Besides the victim was FIFTEEN. Not even an adult - a child, a pregnant child. What a sick mf.
you have to remember though that he was only 16 at the time - not really an adult either.

now dont take this the wrong way - im not at all defending him. im just saying that putting emphasis on the fact that she was 15 WITHOUT mentioning the small fact that he was only 16 is intentionally misleading.

honestly though, i dont care if he plays in the NRL. he didnt kill anyone (though what he did was deplorable), he went to jail, he got out, and i dont care if hes a nice bloke or a moron. im not watching football to watch a bunch of nice upstanding citizens - im watching football for the football. the people and their personalities/off field antics are irrelevant to me.

Not for lack of trying!! Would it be different if he'd tried to kill HER? Would you want an attempted murderer playing NRL? Because effectively that's what he was trying to do, kill his child. We're not talking a 12-week pregnancy. This was more than 5 MONTHS in, nearly at the point where if she did give birth prematurely the kid could survive.

FFS, people like you drive me mad.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
mal said:
Hmmm

I'm honestly on the fence here, it's a **** act, horrible, inhumane and on that merit I agree that the Warriors should not be giving him a lifeline.

I'm not advocating locking him up and throwing away the key, nor that he shouldn't have a chance at rehabilitation.
He might even be the best father and husband in the world (I hope he is), but after the crime he committed, there's no way he should be allowed back into the spotlight on a fat salary.
Give him a job as a factory worker, allow him to earn an honest living to nourish and house his family and even allow him to speak at seminars for problem teenagers, so he can really help where it's needed. But don't let anyone think that you can get away lightly with committing such an atrocious crime!

Playing NRL or any other code at an elite level carries responsabilities and should always be seen as a privilege. A privilege he doesn't deserve.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Unless at least 50% of his salary goes to the woman he assaulted and the child he tried to kill.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Coxy said:
Would it be different if he'd tried to kill HER? Would you want an attempted murderer playing NRL?
honestly?

i wouldnt care. like i said, i dont care if NRL players are nice people. i dont care if theyre clean as a whistle. if they can play good exciting football, thats all i care about. im not making friends with them, theyre not coming over to dinner with my family - i just watch them play footy.

what do you mean 'people like you drive me mad'? people that dont care about the personal lives of people who they watch for entertainment? i couldnt care less about the private life of the actors in movies/tv shows that i watch, why would NRL players be any different?

Porthoz said:
Playing NRL or any other code at an elite level carries responsabilities and should always be seen as a privilege. A privilege he doesn't deserve.
i dont get this. its not a privilege, its a job. while its not a regular 9-5 job like most of us, its still something where if you have the skills and apply them to your work, you can get ahead in the field. being chosen for representative matches is a privilege. making it to an NRL squad isnt.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
If you can't see it's a privilege then you're an absolute retard. Pure and simple.

Just being in the basic 25 man squad guarantees you an income well above the average wage in Australia or NZ. You get numerous privileges that go with it - fully funded medical care, transport. You get fame.

It's far from "just a job". He deserves and is entitled to "just a job". Fact is though he'd be excluded from any role in education, health or law enforcement because of his background.

Seriously makes me sick that money I spend directly (merchandise, tickets etc) and indirectly (by watching on TV and generating advertising revenue) could contribute to paying for this low life to play footy.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Anonymous person said:
Coxy said:
Would it be different if he'd tried to kill HER? Would you want an attempted murderer playing NRL?
honestly?

i wouldnt care. like i said, i dont care if NRL players are nice people. i dont care if theyre clean as a whistle. if they can play good exciting football, thats all i care about. im not making friends with them, theyre not coming over to dinner with my family - i just watch them play footy.

what do you mean 'people like you drive me mad'? people that dont care about the personal lives of people who they watch for entertainment? i couldnt care less about the private life of the actors in movies/tv shows that i watch, why would NRL players be any different?

Porthoz said:
i dont get this. its not a privilege, its a job. while its not a regular 9-5 job like most of us, its still something where if you have the skills and apply them to your work, you can get ahead in the field. being chosen for representative matches is a privilege. making it to an NRL squad isnt.

As long as it's entertaining football hey AP?

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Coxy said:
If you can't see it's a privilege then you're an absolute retard. Pure and simple.

Just being in the basic 25 man squad guarantees you an income well above the average wage in Australia or NZ. You get numerous privileges that go with it - fully funded medical care, transport. You get fame.
its not a privilege. its getting a job thats better than most people. if joe blow can play footy well, he can get a contract to play footy. if hes good at playing footy (his job) then he can get a promotion to the NRL. in that line of work its no different from starting off as a temp, then becoming fulltime, then becoming a manager, etc.

yes, you get privileges for being an NRL player - but being an NRL player isnt a privilege. privileges come with the job.

being in the top 25 doesnt guarantee an income well above the average wage - the base wage in the NRL is something like $50k. yes, you get fame and all that. but thats part and parcel of the job.

Browny said:
As long as it's entertaining football hey AP?
yep. like i said in another thread, the only reason i watch football is for the entertainment. do not give a $hit what they do when they get off the field (unless what they do off-field disrupts the on-field performances).

are you guys the type of people who would not see a movie that you wanted to see because an actor in it said something you disagree with personally? are you the type of people who would not play (for example) Modern Warfare 3 on xbox even if it was the greatest game of all time just because its published by activision?

if so, i feel sorry for you. intentionally missing out on things that youd enjoy just because people who have nothing whatsoever to do with you did something that you dont agree with......glad im not like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • KickHaas
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Alec
  • Lostboy
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • Justwin
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Maroon4life
  • BRC088
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.