Shaun Metcalf back in NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nashy said:
dukey said:
I was toying with that line of thought before Nashy. There are a lot of things I did as a 16 year old that I'd hate to be judged by for the rest of my life. But nothing like GBH, assault and attempted murder. And at 16, you can hardly make the argument that he didn't know what he was doing.

Yeah, I tried to word that carefully do the other side didn't go off in your direction.

We all made mistakes, and we were punished. Some people made bigger mistakes, and those people got a harsher punishment for it. Just like this guy.
This is about measure. We're talking premeditated attempted murder and grievous bodily harm!
Yeah, he was 16, so he gets a discount, but no one here can tell me that this is just another screwed up teenager mistake ffs. His harsher punishment was 5 months in jail... [icon_non

Just out of curiosity Nashy, where is your line in the sand? Do you even have one?

Mate, kids get banned for life from the game for kicking another player during a game, but this guy gets a free pass?

Browny said:
broncospwn said:
Coxy said:
Not even in the same post code of issues. Workplace harassment, a civil action, vs attempted murder of an unborn child. That you'd compare them shows how lacking in understanding your moral code is. Should talk to your parents. They've failed you
Maybe, maybe... But he was 16 at that time, he went to jail served his punishment and has moved forward 7 years later.

Should he never be forgiven or given a second chance?

He can always go on Conviction Kitchen
[icon_lol1.

The Rock said:
Yeah who cares if he was 16. This isn't just a case of a "dumb 16 year old who makes mistakes", this is a guy that is SICK. We all do stupid things as 16 year olds, but this is not normal stupidity, this is SICK.

And it wasn't like a spur of the moment thing. It wasn't like she'd come to see him and said "yo bro, I'm like pregnant ez" and he goes "oh no I'm fucked ez, bitter kuck you in the guts eh!"

He lured her there. Had his mates. had balaclavas. Assaulted her. Repeatedly. With intent.

**** me dead.

Porthoz said:
Nashy said:
dukey said:
I was toying with that line of thought before Nashy. There are a lot of things I did as a 16 year old that I'd hate to be judged by for the rest of my life. But nothing like GBH, assault and attempted murder. And at 16, you can hardly make the argument that he didn't know what he was doing.

Yeah, I tried to word that carefully do the other side didn't go off in your direction.

We all made mistakes, and we were punished. Some people made bigger mistakes, and those people got a harsher punishment for it. Just like this guy.
This is about measure. We're talking premeditated attempted murder and grievous bodily harm!
Yeah, he was 16, so he gets a discount, but no one here can tell me that this is just another screwed up teenager mistake ffs. His harsher punishment was 5 months in jail... [icon_non

Just out of curiosity Nashy, where is your line in the sand? Do you even have one?

Mate, kids get banned for life from the game for kicking another player during a game, but this guy gets a free pass?

My line in the sand? Well clearly there is some distance between ours. Mine's down the end where it says if he is legally out of prison, and determined by experts that he is rehabilitated, and shown remorse, that they deserve another chance at life.

People get all caught up in the prison system and what it's actually used for. Prisons aren't what they used to be, just to lock up bad people. They are correctional facilities. To attempt to fix people who have committed crimes.

If he is better, and out, then I say, go nuts. Play the game you want to play if the club will take you. Buy whatever car you want. Live where you want. Do whatever you want to do within the law.

If you **** up, and they got it wrong, back to jail.

The world is so quick to judge and give up on people that go off the rails. And no doubt someone will be contemplating using the same old BS defence "Oh, what if it was your [Insert relative / friend / dog / whatever here] Nashy?"

Can be used both ways. What if this was your best mate, work mate, brother, son etc.? What if you knew this person and knew it was out of character? Would it be different then? Or would you all condemn someone instead of giving them the opportunity to be rehabilitated, and have a second chance at being the person you knew they were?

He wouldn't be able to get a job in health.
He wouldn't be able to get a job in teaching or childcare.
He wouldn't be able to get a job in law enforcement.
He wouldn't be eligible to run for parliament.
He wouldn't be able to get a job in Defence (not that NZ has any).

Why should he be able to get a job as an NRL player?

It's a job which, like it or lump it, carries social responsibility.

His very presence is a shimmering turd on the feet of rugby league.

He wouldn't be able to get a job in health.
Because the Government, as an employer, elected not to allow people with convictions to work for the Government.

He wouldn't be able to get a job in teaching or childcare.
Because the Government, as an employer, elected not to allow people with convictions to work for the Government or with children.

He wouldn't be able to get a job in law enforcement.
Because the Government, as an employer, elected not to allow people with convictions to work for the Government.

He wouldn't be eligible to run for parliament.
Because the Government and State, as an employer, elected not to allow people with convictions to work for the Government.

He wouldn't be able to get a job in Defence (not that NZ has any
Because the Government, as an employer, elected not to allow people with convictions to work for the Government including Defence Force.

Why should he be able to get a job as an NRL player?
Because the Warriors, as an employer, elected to allow people with convictions to work for the Warriors.

Wouldn't be eligible at private schools or private hospitals either nitwit. Same reason. He's a danger.

He shouldn't be representing the NRL. Only a dipshit numbskull can't see that. There's at least 4 dipshit numbskulls contributing to this thread so far, which is disappointing.

Coxy said:
He shouldn't be representing the NRL. Only a dipshit numbskull can't see that. There's at least 4 dipshit numbskulls contributing to this thread so far, which is disappointing.
no, there are 4 people in here who don't think that something this guy did as a kid should mean he can't play footy 7 years later.

He went to jail. He did his time, the amount that the courts deemed worthy. Being an nrl player isn't some sort of position of godliness that only the pure of heart can attain. It's a job, a job that has privileges come along with it.

Maybe it's because I don't hold footy players up on a pedestal and think they all have to be role models like you guys do. If you watch rugby league to see men with good values and spot free personal lives then good for you. I watch it to watch people smack the crap out of each other and chuck the ball around. Like I said, couldn't care less if they were all convicted murderers and rapists fresh out of jail. I'm not in it for role models. It doesn't mean I don't have morals. It doesn't mean I'm an idiot. It just means that all I care about in regards to the nrl is the football.

He could get a job as a baggage handler, criminal history is a prerequisite

The Government says who can work with kids, and who can be doctors. Private or Public.

What's more disappointing is that you call us that, purely because you think we should follow what you believe.

You have every right to be disgusted, and disagree. No matter how much you argue your point, like the death penalty, I'm not changing.

He's served his time. Now he needs to move on with his life, which is exactly what the Warriors are allowing him to do.

I agree with AP and Nashy and the others inasmuch as he has done his time and his character as a human is not really my concern.

However I agree with Coxy that this is a bad look for the NRL and for an organization that needs good PR, this one is going to be hard to spin. For that reason he should not be allowed to play.

Yup he'd be no chance of getting a job where I work.

That remains to be seen. If they can convincingly spin it as, look at us giving this guy a chance, and if he remains a cleanskin then it maybe a successful venture. I don't think that's how it will go, however.

I wonder what legal grounds the NRL could use even if they wanted to refuse his registration? Would they be opening themselves up to being sued? What court would have jurisdiction? If this guy was a registered player when he committed this crime then he would presumably be punted.

The Rock said:
Our joint is so strict that if you have a drink driving record they consider not employing you! (Harsh, but still) Sometimes this sort of thing tells you about someone's character. Just a thought there guys.

At what point did I say it was Government only?

I repeated one thing " as an employer, elected not to allow"

That means they had a choice. Just like your company does, just like Jeb's company does, just like everyone on the planet has a choice to hire this guy or not based on his criminal past.

Surely home fans will give him the reception he deserves when he plays away games.

Scenario: warriors make 2012 gf. Metcalf wins dally m. On eve of grand final daily telegraph runs story "the night he tried to kill my baby" and runs a tell all interview with his victim.

How's that for a bit of publicity for the NRL?

Scenario. Coxy is super tired, just been out for dinner with the family. The kids are cranky and tired, so Coxy inadvertently speeds. Someone walks out, and due to his speed and lack of sleep, Coxy's reaction time is too slow to stop.

Pedestrian is killed. Coxy is convicted of manslaughter and goes to prison.

Coxy is then judged for the rest of his life for one moment of madness, and the only job he can get is the bloke who cleans up shit and vomit from side walks because no one will employ a criminal.

Coxy knows he did the wrong thing. By god has he shown remorse, he knows what he did was wrong, and he has served his time away from society.

He has qualifications coming out his arse, and one company needs a project manager, and are willing to give him a second chance even with a criminal conviction.

Coxy turns down the job based on personal feelings towards convicted criminals making a terrible mistake.

Now, I am in no way trying to compare the above scenario with what this 16 year old child did to his girlfriend. What he did was terrible, horrible and inhumane. But it really doesn't matter with the argument I'm putting forward.

All the other companies will do a check and you won't even get the chance to explain your side of the story. Hell, they won't look past the line that says you have a conviction. They don't want your story. They have another bloke just as qualified, and with a clean sheet. Their choice is made, whether you like it or not.

Yet this company is prepared to give you a shot. Why wouldn't you take it? Do you want your friends to bag out the company for doing that? Do you want their parent company to step in and say you can't work for such a great corporation because you have been convicted of a crime that was done out of lack of logical thought? You know you were too tired to drive, you know you were speeding to get home.

You had your choice. You chose to drive. You chose to speed. You hit someone and killed them.

I'd employ you. Because that one choice you made that was the wrong choice. That choice, shouldn't be the one thing people remember you for, and shouldn't be the one thing that stops you getting on with your life.

And on that note. My scenario is bigger. Therfore. It's better [icon_wink

That's a ridiculous comparison!

At the very least say I got really cranky with Cooper Vuna and so bashed his pregnant missus! At least that would be premeditated, obscene, callous and disgusting, like Metcalf's actions.

Plus, what would an IT company really care? I'm not in the front line, so unless they felt I was going to turn off the client stakeholders they wouldn't have an issue. If they did, then they wouldn't hire me.

Thing about the NRL is they have a lot of client stakeholders. They're called the public. And in that public is a) the girl he bashed, and b) the girl she gave birth to - his daughter - who will get that painful reminder of the scumbag every time he runs on the field, every time his name is in the news. They will associate NRL with pain.

So will their family.

so will many others who can relate to the story.

It's. Not. Worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • The Strapper
  • mitch222
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Johnny92
  • Maddy
  • Ondi
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Thelmus
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.