Big dif.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
That's a ridiculous comparison!

At the very least say I got really cranky with Cooper Vuna and so bashed his pregnant missus! At least that would be premeditated, obscene, callous and disgusting, like Metcalf's actions.

Plus, what would an IT company really care? I'm not in the front line, so unless they felt I was going to turn off the client stakeholders they wouldn't have an issue. If they did, then they wouldn't hire me.

Thing about the NRL is they have a lot of client stakeholders. They're called the public. And in that public is a) the girl he bashed, and b) the girl she gave birth to - his daughter - who will get that painful reminder of the scumbag every time he runs on the field, every time his name is in the news. They will associate NRL with pain.

So will their family.

so will many others who can relate to the story.

It's. Not. Worth it.

That's fine. I get what you're saying. But that's for the NRL to decide. I personally will feel sorry for the bloke if they do step in.

He deserves to get his life back on track. He was 16 FFS.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
For the zillionth time, he can get his life on track without playing NRL.

If not, then he's a dumb **** who would fit in with the Melbourne Rebels and Cooper Vuna...

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
The age factor does it for me as well. I'm sound with him being given another go. Looking at the larger picture the goal for individuals such as this fella is to get them functioning as contributing members of society. This is the best way for that to happen. The government would love to give this kind of structure to anyone just walking out of prison.

My view is It's this, or he more than likely enters a cycle of re-offending and mooching off of the tax payers. No good for anyone.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Oh please!!! If all he's capable of doing is playing rugby league then he WILL be mooching off taxpayers eventually.

Get an apprenticeship. Learn a trade. Do something useful.

He doesn't deserve an NRL career. Never will.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:

If not, then he's a dumb **** who would fit in with the Melbourne Rebels and Cooper Vuna...

Fortunately, as GenX dies off, the majority of fans will be more accepting. Yep, think about him however you want. Call him a ****, an asshole, a woman basher, whatever. But he wants to be an NRL player, so who are we to stop him doing that?

For the zillionth time. He was 16 years old. That's an age GenX's are starting to forget, I know.

Why doesn't he deserve it? He plays footy. He plays it well. Sounds to me like he deserves a career doing something he's good at.

Anyway. Again. Full credit to the Warriors.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I like the way Nashy has subtlety used 'GenX' as a a synonym for 'Coxy'. :P

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Did he get the job as there kicker..... sound like thats what hes good at.

Bottom line he kicked an pregant woman multipul times, tried killing ( did the baby die) an unborn defensless baby. Guy deserves to DIAF. And his mates.

He deserves nothing but grovelling for forgiveness for the rest of his life while chewing on razor blades.

And it got nothing to do with Gen what ever... I know a few people in the gen y cat that think what he did was pretty fucked up and that he should be given no second chance, I also know people in my gen that think he should be given another chance. IMO is death buy Ungabonga!

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Do you honestly think someone like this would have the fortitude to learn a trade or study? Someone who commits this sort of offence has an IQ that is propping up the scale. Honestly, he probably isn't capable of anything more than Rugby League due to the rigid structure, rules and regulations sure to be imposed upon him. Throw him into laboring or a generic halfway house program and odds are he strays down the wrong path just as many before him have.

I agree with you that he doesn't deserve the life of an NRL player. My argument is that this is the best thing for society. He is surrounded with (by comparison) good people; he's no longer in a low socioeconomic environment (a huge risk factor for crime). It ensures he has a better chance of contributing positively to society than what he otherwise would have. After all, this is the goal right?

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Bad call by the warriors.

This is not a second chance - he should be doing other work, such as working in a charity etc. Playing a national sport and getting paid well with TV exposure = garbage. It's not right. Morals or not - it ain't right.

Thumbs down on this big time.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Coxy said:

LOLZ, I've been following the FB convo... Cannot believe the degree of dumbness there! [icon_ee

Also cannot believe that this has turned into a Gen Y vs Gen X argument.

Nashy, I see your point, just can't agree with it. Simply because my moral threshold is different from yours.

You're calling a 16 y/o an irresponsible child? Seems like you're the one who forgot what being a 16 y/o is like!
I recall perfectly well being one, and being the typical idiot know it all, selfish boofhead without a notion about consequences. But I sure as hell knew that getting 2 mates and then plan to lure and kick a 15 y/o pregnant girl until her unborn baby is dead (and her possibly too) is way past wrong.
It's not just a stupid teenager prank gone wrong. This is a plan executed with intent and premeditation!

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
I'm with Nashy. It's not the 80s anymore - times have changed. Being a teenager now is a lot different to being a teenager 10-20 years ago.

He did a horrible, horrible thing. He was punished by being some guys bitch for 7 years. If the justice system (flawed as it might be) says he is rehabilitated, then he can do what he wants IMO.

If someone, in this case the Warriors, is willing to put up with the horrible PR and reputation problems in return for success then that's their prerogative. It's a risk that has nothing to do with anyone except those parties involved.

If it were me, I wouldn't hire him to pick up the dog shit in my backyard - that's my opinion. The difference being I dont care if someone else does decide to hire him, regardless on the prestige in the position. If he was running for Parliament, i just wouldn't vote him. If he plays NRL, I won't cheer for him. Simple as that.

Unfortunately the reality is that results are of vital importance in NZ with it being Union heartland. Money talks after all, and the NRL might be thinking success in NZ is important to strengthen the game.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
Clintos said:
I'm with Nashy. It's not the 80s anymore - times have changed. Being a teenager now is a lot different to being a teenager 10-20 years ago.

He did a horrible, horrible thing. He was punished by being some guys bitch for 7 years. If the justice system (flawed as it might be) says he is rehabilitated, then he can do what he wants IMO.

Did he go to jail for 7 years? I thought the article stated either wise. If he did - then 'by law' he's served his time... but still a bad call by the warriors IMO. Put it this way, if I was the warriors I would say no... I'm not saying the Kid shouldn't move on with his life - but if I was the Man at a professional NRL club I wouldn't use him.

Btw Nashy your comparison doesn't work - He was 16 but going by the article, there was INTENT. Totally diff scenario IMO.

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Clintos said:
I'm with Nashy. It's not the 80s anymore - times have changed. Being a teenager now is a lot different to being a teenager 10-20 years ago

I'm sorry but , what a crock of fucking shit. I have 2 Daughters, one 12 one 13, and everyday my and my wife look at each other and lol when one of them complains about what's happening in their life with friends or school or try and tell us a joke that they think we have never heard. It's exactly the same but with different haircuts and clothing styles.

It has nothing to donwith Generation gaps. And Nashy is right it's all about personal opinion, which will change either way as life goes on and the situation one faces as that life goes on... Such as having kids of own etc etc

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The guy only went to jail for 5 months FFS.

But that's not the issue. The legal system is fucked up, we all know that. But the NRL should be making a statement to say "you know what, violence against women is wrong, and if you engage in it, you aren't welcome in our game. Ever".

Zero tolerance.

And yes, I also think that should apply to Greg Bird, Anthony Watmough and even Greg Inglis.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
If the NRL had of manned up years ago and banned Watmaugh or whoever for doing what they did, the players would have got the message that it's not acceptable whoever you are. But they turned a blind eye and are now reaping what they sew.

As for the age thing - LOL! I have 16/17 year old nephews who know their right from wrongs even though they aren't from the golden olden days of the 80s. Ha ha. what an excuse that is.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah. The whole "Boys will be boys" and "Everyone makes mistakes" platitudes simply can't apply to crimes this shocking.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
It's like those boys in england that killed the toddler all those years ago.

Who cares if they are 12/13. They should have been given life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • Jedhead
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Culhwch
  • Porthoz
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.