NEWS Shock leader in Broncos captaincy race

Milford doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the captaincy

Give him responsibility in a sink or swim type of deal.
Results go awry, he falls on his sword and finds a new club.

OR he relishes the challenge, leads from the front like a million dollar player.
I'd rather he owns the results then take a back seat and drift in and out of matches like he has been doing for the last 2 years.
Deserving or not, like a great coach once said, "If I don't challenge you I fail you"

Our club is an absolute debacle! Who gives a flying fark what the players want. These plebs couldnt even score a single point in our most important game of the season.

I've supported the Broncs since I was a kid but if they name Lodge Captain and Boyd remains in the 17 than they will be testing my continued support.

New leader in Broncos captaincy race

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
September 21, 2019 3:05pm

begin grooming

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold will put the broom through his entire leadership group and wipe the slate clean next season as Brisbane begin grooming prop Matt Lodge for a possible rise to the captaincy. The Sunday Mail can reveal Seibold is presiding over a ‘Leadership Spill’ with Brisbane’s entire playing group to audition for position to form a new senior core during the upcoming 2020 pre-season.

existing leadership group effectively rescinded

It means Brisbane’s existing five-man leadership group – comprising skipper Darius Boyd, Andrew McCullough, Alex Glenn, Matt Gillett and Lodge – has effectively been rescinded as Seibold leads a Red Hill revolution.

Brisbane Broncos forward Matt Lodge is leading the race for the Broncos captaincy. Picture: Adam Head

Brisbane Broncos forward Matt Lodge is leading the race for the Broncos captaincy. Picture: Adam Head

driving new standards

Seibold fronted the Broncos board on Friday where he told the executive that the entire full-time squad is on notice. He told the board actions would dictate the composition of Brisbane’s starting team in 2020 and that mentality extends to the formation of a new leadership group charged with driving new standards of professionalism.

Lodge: skill-set to flourish

The safest player in the current leadership structure is Lodge, who is poised to complete a remarkable metamorphosis from New York jail bird to the top dog at Queensland’s flagship sporting team. Brisbane’s leadership void could see Boyd retained for another 12 months but Broncos hierarchy are seriously considering Lodge as his successor, believing he has the skill-set to flourish in a captaincy role.

Brisbane Broncos player Darius Boyd (left) is seen speaking to Broncos coach Anthony Seibold during a team training session in Brisbane. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

Brisbane Broncos player Darius Boyd (left) is seen speaking to Broncos coach Anthony Seibold during a team training session in Brisbane. Picture: AAP Image/Glenn Hunt

Lodge: Rikers Island prison time

Seibold made his intentions clear in June when he promoted Lodge to his leadership group in June. It came less than four years after Lodge briefly spent time in Rikers Island prison following his infamous New York rampage in 2015. Lodge has since displayed exemplary behaviour and in 47 games for the Broncos, the 24-year-old has shown on and off-field leadership qualities that have caught the eye of Seibold and Brisbane bosses.

public-relations headache

But there is still an element of risk to Lodge’s prospective ascension to the top job. Naming Lodge as skipper would be a public-relations headache for the Broncos and his critics will question if the reformed bad boy should hold such an prestigious ambassadorial post. Earlier this season, Seibold told The Sunday Mail he was highly impressed with Lodge’s evolution as a player and person.

maturity beyond his years

“I first met Matt when he was 18 in the under-20s at Melbourne, I’ve known him a long time and coached him in the Junior Kangaroos, so I’ve seen his development,” he said. “I made the decision (to add Lodge to the leadership group) based on his actions on and off the field. “He is someone that our middle-forwards look up to. We have a lot of young players at the club and while Matt is only 24, he has a maturity beyond his years and the young guys really respect him.”

Please. Sam Burgess is a current club captain FFS. As is Pearce! And as was Packer. If he deserves it, he deserves it. **** what anyone else thinks.

Our club is an absolute debacle! Who gives a flying fark what the players want. These plebs couldnt even score a single point in our most important game of the season.

I've supported the Broncs since I was a kid but if they name Lodge Captain and Boyd remains in the 17 than they will be testing my continued support.

Forget about heads rolling. Why don’t we just get the players to name the starting team for round 1 too. Corey Oates wants to be run on second row, better not upset him.

Please. Sam Burgess is a current club captain FFS. As is Pearce! And as was Packer. If he deserves it, he deserves it. **** what anyone else thinks.

This. So much this. He is the best leader and I couldn’t give a flying **** about PR. This current administration have cared about little else except money and PR and all that has lead us to is the biggest defeat in finals history.

Leadership is about being someone that others want to follow, I would say it is pretty fucking important who they want to be captain.

Leadership is about being someone that others want to follow, I would say it is pretty fucking important who they want to be captain.

That's all well and good but personally I just don't think he is the right man for the job. It's possible that he might have earnt the right to be forgiven, but he has not earnt the right to captain our side imo.

I recall TPJ saying a few times through the year that Lodgey has quite the football brain and will probably become a coach once he retires. If the players are going to listen and follow him, then that's what we need.
Unfortunately there is no other stand out in this group.
I could see Fifi, Haas and Carrigan as future captain prospects, but at this stage they're all probably a bit too young.
From a media point of view, strap yourselves in, if it happens.

Last edited:
I say make Lodgey the skipper and and damn the torpedoes. His influence over TPJ and Haas is invaluable and I agree with the poster that pointed out that he looked the most devastated with the result last week.

Everyone should know by now it doesn't matter what we do as a club the media will always look for a negative angle. After teh shit we had to suck up this season, I say no more Mr nice guy, Feck them all. If you look closely at the graphics of the news feeds there is a picture of Boyd castigating the group and he's looking directly at Lodge. Lodgey is not looking at him and his body language and face looks to me like he's sick of a pea heart telling him what to do.

agree with it being lodge.

**** the nrl and media if they are not happy. Lodge has had one major **** up in his career and ill agree it was a pretty big one i still think we have far worse people in our sport who captain there side....

this could also prove a real us vs them mentality ala storm. so for me its nothing but positives

and any pea heart person who says they wont support broncos if lodge is captain then we dont want them to be a broncos supporter to start with imo

Lodge has had way more than one incident during his career. I didn’t want him at the Broncos, I didn’t want him in the NRL.

I was wrong.

Put it this way - no one has fought harder than Lodge has to get here. From jail time to trying to resurrect his career under the highest scrutiny, he nearly pulled the pin but fought on and made it. Not only does he deserve the captaincy, but I can’t see anyone valuing the opportunity to play NRL more, and Heaven help any entitled young players who want to coast through on talent. He’s the hard edge we need, the exact opposite of 2018/2019 Boyd.

Im all for redemption stories, but this isn't a good look from a commercial standpoint, nor do I think he is a good leader. He makes a lot of stupid mistakes, dumb errors and dumb penalties. We need someone with some wits about them as captain.

Im all for redemption stories, but this isn't a good look from a commercial standpoint, nor do I think he is a good leader. He makes a lot of stupid mistakes, dumb errors and dumb penalties. We need someone with some wits about them as captain.

I've got a few problems with him too, he's definitely a bit error and penalty prone, and seems to love doing exactly what people used to bag McGuire about too.

On the other hand, do we really have anyone better? Maybe Glenn can channel Gidley off the bench?

At this stage before anything has been said officially by the club everything is mere conjecture.

I'll wait until the team runs out in round one, but if Macca and Boyd are still there then the old 'cruise control' culture is still there and I will have lost what little faith I have in Seibs.

Lodge as skipper and Carrigan/Dearden as co-captains will do me.

Angry stuff?? Please. I wish he bought more of it!

Exactly. Has the best temperament of any in the club not named Alex Glenn.

All these fucking ***** on here shit talking about Lodge's I'll discipline and anger. I swear it's like half this forum never watches us play.

A hard edge is great, but getting easily baited is not. Hell i’m an angry guy and play sport angry, but it does have its drawbacks. I’m not advocating against him being captain fwiw. I’ll actually love the backlash.

People hate us as it is, bring it on

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jeza23
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.