VOTE Should the Broncos re-sign McCullough

Should the Broncos re-sign McCullough?

• Total voters
Macca is under rated around here it seems.
We sucked in 2016 when he was out. He is so vital to our defence, it is often overlooked in favour of flashy attack.
Cameron Smith he is not, but give me him over majority of hookers in the comp.

Didn't say that.

I'm saying he's not that great.

He's probably not the sort of hooker we need.
I don't quite agree with that, but more importantly, there are very few hookers out there I would have before him.
From your list, Smith is a no brainer despite his age, and I would also prefer Friend and Peats.
I would probably give Parcell a go as well, although as some have said, I'm not sure about where his focus is at...

I would definitely not have Farah (bad attitude and age), Luke or Granville ahead of him. Despite their flashy game, their decision making is often pretty crap and their defense is just not good enough

Hooker touches the ball more than anyone.

He is the place from which every attacking move originates.

A hooker's service from dummy half is his most important role.

Maccas service is substandard.

His defence does not and cannot make up for that fact.
Nonsense. Did you even watch the short kicking game vid today?? See macca's service in that?? Pretty decent. Wasn't halting any of the attaching plays. Plus it's a huge horrible difference between macca to waddell!

We sucked in 2016 when he was out. He is so vital to our defence, it is often overlooked in favour of flashy attack.

Precisely how I feel, I've grown more and more fond of him over the last 2 years, especially after I watch other teams hookers make countless forward passes and miss a million tackles. Macca is arguably the best in the NRL at not making errors and getting his work done efficiently.

Kids got ticker. He's not the best hooker in the comp but he is far from the worst. Sign him up

He's fine. When the team is performing across the park he's a great fit. If we are sluggish he doesn't really have another gear and won't win us a game like a Smith or Innis in 2016. But that's not his role or the teams balance. Keep him for sure.

I'm probably going to regret disagreeing with someone who knows far more than me but our loss in form happened independently of McCullough's absence. Yes we only won 2 out of 5 (40%) with him missing, but between rounds 9 and 21 we only won 27% of our games total. Our record in this period with McCullough playing was 1 from 6 (17%). I'm not saying he's not a better hooker than Waddell, McGuire or Nikorima, but his absence didn't cause us to suck. We were already there.

They were quicker than McCullough.

As we have a small pack we need a hooker who is quick and who delivers quick service.

He is slow in both areas and it stifles our attack.

More importantly, it hasn't improved one jot since his first game.

Hookers in front of Macca, Smith, Friend, Farrah, Granville, Peats, Luke (at least probably forgotten someone else)....

Ps If I never see that stupid dummy again it'll be too soo...

Stifles our attack? Haven't we been one of the better attacking teams the last few years?

Stifles our attack? Haven't we been one of the better attacking teams the last few years?

Imagine how good we could have been in attack of we had a hooker that gives our halves good quick service from the play-the-ball

Sounds like a very level-headed and intelligent decision making process to me. Maybe this is why people say he doesn't fit in to the standard mold of committed prospects?

He sounds like the perfect asset for any team.

I was questioning more, is he going to sign a 5 year deal, realise he's going to enjoy a career from whatever Degree his studies gave him, and leave the sport a year in. Or decide now is the time to travel and see the world.

I'm not against re-signing Macca,

but for me it depends on who else we could realistically get and how much he expects from his next deal

I'm not against re-signing Macca,

but for me it depends on who else we could realistically get and how much he expects from his next deal

Summed it up perfectly.

My only problem with Macca is the speed of his passes. Too many of them seem to take an age to reach the first receiver. His defense is obviously first-class and his running game isn't really an issue with the halves we have (although obviously that changes next year). He's also one of the better long kickers in the NRL.

The only way I'd consider replacing McCullough is if we can get someone who can tackle and kick nearly as well, but has a significantly better passing and running game. There's probably 2 players who fit that bill, and we're getting neither of them. I think we should keep him.

If Macca kicked 4-5 times per game, I'd probably change my tune and want him to stay. He's shown he has a really good long kick, but he just doesn't use it enough.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Big Del
  • Alec
  • K-Style
  • theshed
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Reds2011
  • Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • IceWorks
  • OnToSomething
  • Gaz
  • broncsgoat
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Robboi_321
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.