VOTE Should the Broncos re-sign McCullough

Should the Broncos re-sign McCullough?

• Total voters
Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
My only problem with Macca is the speed of his passes. Too many of them seem to take an age to reach the first receiver. His defense is obviously first-class and his running game isn't really an issue with the halves we have (although obviously that changes next year). He's also one of the better long kickers in the NRL.

The only way I'd consider replacing McCullough is if we can get someone who can tackle and kick nearly as well, but has a significantly better passing and running game. There's probably 2 players who fit that bill, and we're getting neither of them. I think we should keep him.
Might just be a perception thing, with respect.

Have you ever noticed.. you always watch a team from a certain perspective..? When we are attacking.. you're watching the attacking team and not so much focussing your subconscious mind on the defence?

Then when your team is defending you're watching from a defensive game of mind, watching HOW we tackle, chase, time our hits, line speed etc..

I think this might be the same when handing out criticism to your own players.. we don't really watch opposition hookers from the perspective of attack so we aren't barracking for their passing speed / service or anything for that matter.

It's called bias. We are all guilty of it because it comes from the place of passion for our team / club.

Might be worth considering when you watch highlights.. watch it from the mindset of being an opposition supporter and not a broncos supporter.. you might find you'll see things you didn't necessarily notice because you weren't really looking objectively..

Food for thought for all of us really

Last edited:
badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
I'm not against re-signing, in theory.

But, in practice, IF it means we keep losing players like Granville -- and to a lesser extent players like Parcells, JNik.

Then I am happy to pass him over and keep those others. The Macca over Granville decision really showed up brightly in the last 10 minutes of GF. Macca taking negative tactic kicking options (may have been directed to), and Granville playing super positive.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't see why it has to be scapegoating when a person says they are happy for Macca to stay but not at over cost or at the expense of others. What is scapegoating about that?

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Just that this thread's going to get bumped any time Macca misses a tackle or takes 1/4 second too long to pass the ball to Ato Hingano.

I suspect...

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Just that this thread's going to get bumped any time Macca misses a tackle or takes 1/4 second too long to pass the ball to Ato Hingano.

I suspect...

Hingano should be player, captain and coach imo, he's a superstar.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Macca $1.10
McGuire $2.0
Hunt $1.01

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016
Not against the Macca re-signing at all, defence speaks for itself. Service isn't bad. Be nice if he kicked more, but we've been saying that for years and it doesn't look like changing.

If we assume the money we budget in the salary cap for spine players is an approximately fixed amount, I'd much rather sign Macca for relatively little then try and go out and buy one of the few hookers definitely better then him. That way we can spend more on a halfback/re-signing Milf.

Also, as I've mentioned previously, when there's an attack opportunity - quick play the ball, retreating defence, etc - I want the ball in Milf or Boyds hands, not a hooker who is going to go himself.

That being said, I think a two year deal would be ideal. I don't want to buy an established hooker that's better than him, but wouldn't be against Parcel coming back and forcing Macca out of the 9, or Kodi deciding his best position is hooker and improving his defence out of site.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
One of the most consistent and hardest working players in the squad. I don't ever remember him losing his cool on the field... Or off it. It's a re-sign from me.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Now that Hunt is off to the Dragons and our chequebook has a few pages back in it, I would go hard to bring Granville home.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Now that Hunt is off to the Dragons and our chequebook has a few pages back in it, I would go hard to bring Granville home.

I agree that we should look hard at bringing Granville back.

His speed out of dummy half would be a real asset with a small pack because markers would know that they can't just drop off onto the first receiver. He's also a better pass of the ground than Macca.

McCullough is a good defender, but a hooker's primary job is attacking - he gets the ball every play - and he's just not that good at part of the game. Worse, he hasn't improved one jot in 5 years in relation to that part of the game.

He's a 7 out of 10 performer. Should we not expect better?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

No to Granville! We need that money for a gun HB . We need stability in the spine , a big yes for me .

Active Now

• BroncsNBundy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • BroncosMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • Maroon4life
  • MrMoore
  • Galco
  • Brocko
  • Gaz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Jedhead
  • bert_lifts
  • Old Mate
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.